Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 07:12 AM

113 posts, read 105,053 times

Advertisements

Tarrant county: from $674,300 to $1,127,000. Just experienced 20+% in 2022. Insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 07:56 AM

53 posts, read 50,052 times
In Denton County, we closed a year ago on our new build. We paid 610k, so 2022 year tax was partial since the house was completed in March.
This year they valued it at $700k ... Hopefully we can protest by showing the closing statement and get them to lower to that amount ... That's a lotta of taxes ...

Old 04-18-2023, 08:12 AM

139 posts, read 114,053 times
Here is some relief for property owners in Allen:

https://www.cityofallen.org/CivicAle...ad%20exemption.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:12 AM

8,174 posts, read 3,696,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Their so-called "market value" this year is way off the charts, a nonsensical 20 percent jump over last year's. Does anyone know if you can only protest the taxable value or if it's worthwhile to protest their determination of "market value?" Due to the homestead exemption, the amount I'm being taxed on this year is still far below its actual value, and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on with that.

Collin County must have someone new or some new computer doing their appraisals this year.
It's exactly the market value, not the taxable one, that you protest. And yes, the homestead exemption limits the increase to 10% a year, but if you think that the market value is not reasonable, you should still protest. Online protest takes very little time. If unsuccessful, you can decide if you want to go the full blown protest route or not.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:03 PM

631 posts, read 886,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Their so-called "market value" this year is way off the charts, a nonsensical 20 percent jump over last year's. Does anyone know if you can only protest the taxable value or if it's worthwhile to protest their determination of "market value?" Due to the homestead exemption, the amount I'm being taxed on this year is still far below its actual value, and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on with that.

Collin County must have someone new or some new computer doing their appraisals this year.
Mine is up about 33% in Denton County, and is about $100,000 over the capped taxable value. I'll protest again this year to bring down the appraisal value, even though I won't be able to bring it below the capped taxable value. But I'm not going to spend a ton of time on the protest. I was in a situation last year too where I protested to bring the appraised value down but still above the capped taxable value, and I was hoping that the lower baseline value in 2022 would mean a relatively lower appraisal value in 2023. But that didn't appear to be the case. My appraisal this year is higher than I could actually sell my house for.

Last edited by aggie972; 04-18-2023 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-19-2023, 03:36 AM

77 posts, read 59,728 times
I bought in November 2022 in Denton County for the first time as I moved to Texas.

Previous owners for 2022 had their appraised value at roughly 331 and their "HS cap" took them down 24k to an assessed value of about 307.

I applied for Homestead in February 2023.

A few days ago they updated the Denton CAD to show that my appraised value is about 380 but an "HS cap" showing 0 so the assessed value is the same---380.

Seems like an exorbitant increase. It was also my understanding it could only go up 10 percent a year max? Fully understand thst my understanding could have been incorrect, haha. Does that mean my Homestead application didn't apply yet? What's the best way to fight any of it if you guys think I am justified in doing so? I also roll my taxes and stuff into my mortgage, so does the mortgage company just automatically get the new taxes updated or do I have to submit something to them?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2023, 05:31 AM

772 posts, read 939,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashakhs View Post
I bought in November 2022 in Denton County for the first time as I moved to Texas.

Previous owners for 2022 had their appraised value at roughly 331 and their "HS cap" took them down 24k to an assessed value of about 307.

I applied for Homestead in February 2023.

A few days ago they updated the Denton CAD to show that my appraised value is about 380 but an "HS cap" showing 0 so the assessed value is the same---380.

Seems like an exorbitant increase. It was also my understanding it could only go up 10 percent a year max? Fully understand thst my understanding could have been incorrect, haha. Does that mean my Homestead application didn't apply yet? What's the best way to fight any of it if you guys think I am justified in doing so? I also roll my taxes and stuff into my mortgage, so does the mortgage company just automatically get the new taxes updated or do I have to submit something to them?

Thanks in advance.

The appraised value resets to current market value (what you paid for the home) for the year after you bought it, and could also have market gains after the purchase price factored in as well if you bought early enough in the previous year.

So no, for a new owner, the 10% max gain doesn't apply. For the following year, if they increase the home value again, the taxable value will be capped at 10% going forward, but the appraised value can still be higher than a 10% gain year over year.

What you can do is show them your purchase price and get it reset to that amount if your assessment is higher than that.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:59 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,178,876 times
We're in Frisco (Denton County) and ours went up ~14%.

Old 04-19-2023, 03:56 PM

77 posts, read 59,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
The appraised value resets to current market value (what you paid for the home) for the year after you bought it, and could also have market gains after the purchase price factored in as well if you bought early enough in the previous year.

So no, for a new owner, the 10% max gain doesn't apply. For the following year, if they increase the home value again, the taxable value will be capped at 10% going forward, but the appraised value can still be higher than a 10% gain year over year.

What you can do is show them your purchase price and get it reset to that amount if your assessment is higher than that.
Thanks!

No, the assessment is lower. Purchase was 390.

I got a letter from the mortgage company about escrow evaluation and they had the tax number lowered and my payment actually lowered from about 2900 to around 2825. Not sure where they got that value but I didn't ask questions. I pay what they say I owe haha.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:26 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,451,133 times
Well so much for the recession giving homeowners a break on property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: