Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 06:43 AM

772 posts, read 939,072 times

Advertisements

Yes, it does seem that appraisals for everyone I know has now exceeded what the market value of their home would be at this point in time. Ours came back at 17% higher, which is about what I think we could have sold at the peak for mid last year, but it's probably a full $200-300k higher than what we'd be able to get now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 06:50 AM

772 posts, read 939,072 times
Does anyone have a recommendation for a property tax/protest firm?

Old 04-26-2023, 09:25 AM

8,174 posts, read 3,696,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
We are up 21.1% in Preston Hollow and after a decade in this house, DCAD finally put their “market value” well above what our house would actually sell for in 2023. Look forward to seeing what our property tax guy argues them down to this year.

Everyone should protest every year, but especially now that we seem to be in a cycle of never-ending 10% capped increases.
Yeah, same here, but in Collin. There was literally a single sale in our immediate neighborhood last year (September I think) for a crazy amount. So that spiked everything else up..

P.S. I protested online, but they didn't move at all, same as last year. All years before that I was able to e-protest pretty successfully.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:44 AM

674 posts, read 336,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yeah, same here, but in Collin. There was literally a single sale in our immediate neighborhood last year (September I think) for a crazy amount. So that spiked everything else up..

P.S. I protested online, but they didn't move at all, same as last year. All years before that I was able to e-protest pretty successfully.

Protesting in Collin County is harder than Dallas County for sure. You really have to do your homework, plus Collin County is happy to waste your time while other hearings run long. Dallas County is a well-oiled machine in comparison.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:02 AM

63 posts, read 80,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Protesting in Collin County is harder than Dallas County for sure. You really have to do your homework, plus Collin County is happy to waste your time while other hearings run long. Dallas County is a well-oiled machine in comparison.
True, this year it looks like. I filed protest yesterday with 5 supporting documents and today they offered a settlement. Guess what? Settlement offer is same amount as appraisal value (beginning value), wow.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:34 AM

533 posts, read 644,258 times
I won't bother this year because CoCo CAD is not going to budge.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:43 AM

77 posts, read 59,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Midwest View Post
True, this year it looks like. I filed protest yesterday with 5 supporting documents and today they offered a settlement. Guess what? Settlement offer is same amount as appraisal value (beginning value), wow.
And that's it, I figure? You get one appeal? This is my first time.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:39 AM

169 posts, read 104,669 times
What I have heard about using a company is they show up with a ton of appeals and are granted cuts across the spectrum depending on the area. For example I have 140 appeals for Plano and they come to an agreement of "Ok you can take 12% off of those, etc". Only what I have heard so I woudl love to know that this is the case since they don't want to go through every appeal 1 by 1.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:14 PM

380 posts, read 369,903 times
I used a firm to protest my appraisal two years in a row and they had zero success with DCAD. So it's not a sure thing. The next two years I protested myself. I was only able to use needed repairs to the house to prove my point since the sales in the surrounding neighborhood did not support my cause. I was able to get something like $10K knocked off both years.

Old 05-02-2023, 02:30 PM

216 posts, read 344,371 times
Up 24% here in Wilshire Heights (Lakewood adjacent). OUCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: