Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 10:10 PM

271 posts, read 297,725 times

Advertisements

We are about to go under contract for a new construction house in the DFW area, the final purchase price will be around $1.1mi. Personally, I am really not a fan of fireplace, for the most part, it is a pretty useless thing to have in the house. I think most people use it for decoration purpose, not to heat the house. However, my wife was saying for resale purpose, especially at this price point, you need to have it. I MUCH rather use the space for a nice big screen tv.
What do people on the forum think? Is my wife really right about this? If a lot of people say no, I will probably show the replies to her, hopefully, she will change her mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 10:11 PM

3,088 posts, read 8,455,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
We are about to go under contract for a new construction house in the DFW area, the final purchase price will be around $1.1mi. Personally, I am really not a fan of fireplace, for the most part, it is a pretty useless thing to have in the house. I think most people use it for decoration purpose, not to heat the house. However, my wife was saying for resale purpose, especially at this price point, you need to have it. I MUCH rather use the space for a nice big screen tv.
What do people on the forum think? Is my wife really right about this? If a lot of people say no, I will probably show the replies to her, hopefully, she will change her mind.

Loved mine in the cold North but here feel they are mostly useless. We designed and built our home without one.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:29 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,107,760 times
Given the choice, I would prefer a generator that could heat the home during a power outage. Fireplaces actually suck all the warm air out of the house. They likely do nothing for a house that massive.

However, I cannot speak for people who are wealthy enough to afford a million dollars. At that price, you are likely dealing with people who have a whole different set of expectations.

I'm going to guess your wife loves the massive kitchen continent in the middle of the living room. With some things, it just depends on whether you ask a man or a woman.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:56 AM

674 posts, read 341,405 times
Speaking personally, no fireplace in a $1.1 million house would be a problem.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:34 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,075,539 times
For a million dollar house I would hope it had at least 1. I personally like them but not the fake one you will see in most TX houses

Old 05-18-2023, 08:53 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,184,526 times
We've lived in our house for 13 years and have never used our gas fireplace. Our house is at a slightly cheaper price point than OP's (but obviously not new construction). That being said, I would definitely want a mantle or something to hang Christmas stockings from. I would miss that way more than the actual fireplace.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:47 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,818,922 times
You might not use them- we hardly use the three we have, but I wouldn't buy a house at half your price point without one.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:04 PM

19,954 posts, read 18,248,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
1. At $1.1MM come sale time some fair number of lookers will walk w/o a fireplace. Nearly no one will pass because there is a fireplace.

2. Disregard the comment about fireplaces sucking all the warm air out of a house. Outside bad flu management it's simply not true.

3. If you can make it work maybe build the mantel a little low and mount a TV on or just above? Or better yet cave out a man-cave somewhere.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 8,767,884 times
We bought our $1.5M home without a requirement for a fireplace. However I used the one in our $600K house nearly everyday in the winter. But it was super easy to turn on. The main fireplace at the new house can be wood or gas but it's harder to get going.

We also have two gas fireplaces - on in the office and one in the master suite. I use the one in the master suite when I'm in the bath or if I'm spending a lazy day in bed when the weather is cold.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:14 PM

113 posts, read 105,931 times
I like to have a fireplace in a $1million house, even only for decoration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: