Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 PM

434 posts, read 1,482,619 times

Advertisements

To sum it up NO.
There are a lot of dogs in Texas but as far as what I have seen in the metroplex there doesn't seem to be much of a commitment to dog active areas such as many dog parks here.
I think there is a lot of focus on many things in texas but dogs aren't at the top of the list.
We have a huge commitment to sports and development but I am not aware of anyone advocating environment for dogs.
I am aware of about 3 dog parks between the northern dallas burbs and 2 south of 635.
If there is some more out there please post it. I have 2 dogs and would love to take them around town. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 AM

28 posts, read 130,698 times
I take my dog to the White Rock Dog Park at least once a week and we love that - and we have been to Bark Park down in Deep Ellum but I have heard of a dog park on Swiss Avenue and a dog park in the Pakr Cities but don't know exactly where either of these are. Does anyone know if these parks really exist? If so where are they? What are they like?
Thanks!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
People who love dogs are dog friendly. I had a neighbor who shot a dog that was using the "rest room" on his front lawn. The owner of the dog I don't believe even pressed charges. I can tell you had it been my dog, that guy would have paid dearly. I may have had to pay as well as I believe I'd have to shoot him. I really wouldn't, but I'd like to. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth makes perfect sense to me.

Texas is not without the sadness of neglected, mistreated, and abused animals. In fact, it seems to be quite prevalent as I'm always hearing horror stories on television. There isn't a week that goes by that I'm not crying because of hearing about abuse to the max even in my own neighborhood. It makes me crazy.

I also heard a story from someone who was hunting and a dog came out into the field or wherever the hunting was going on. This stupid hunter shot the dog, a chocolate Lab, because he was disturbing the sport. He heard the owners of the dog calling the pet later on in the day and while telling this story, he was laughing. I almost vomited it made me so sick, but some of the sick mentality one runs into will do that to a person. It just totally broke my heart.

There are many of us though that absolutely love our canines and would give our own lives for them. I wish I lived near DeKalb because I'd love to meet your pack. The world needs more caring people like you to tend to these precious creatures. I honestly wish those who do not treat pets kindly were treated as they treated them.

I'm also from CA and I can tell you that the Texas heat is pretty hard on canines. I would never leave my girls outside in the heat; it is just something I cannot do as it's extremely dangerous. I can't stand to be outside in the heat of the day and they are no different, in my opinion anyway.

Good luck.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 06-27-2008 at 10:49 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,128 times
Default is texas dog friendly? not so much but...

Okay Texas may not be dog friendly but there is help! I just found a web site today that can assist in finding things to do and places to go with your best friend, your pooch. visit dogfrindly.com you can choose your state and city even look for the top 10 friendly dog cities. Today we wanted to take our son Lucky to lunch with us so we looked up resturants that allow you to bring your 4 legged child and boy did he have a great time. Of course we are limited to the patio but at least he got to come along. Then we went to the tast of Dallas which was great fun for him as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM

434 posts, read 1,482,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky-pup777 View Post
Okay Texas may not be dog friendly but there is help! I just found a web site today that can assist in finding things to do and places to go with your best friend, your pooch. visit dogfrindly.com you can choose your state and city even look for the top 10 friendly dog cities. Today we wanted to take our son Lucky to lunch with us so we looked up resturants that allow you to bring your 4 legged child and boy did he have a great time. Of course we are limited to the patio but at least he got to come along. Then we went to the tast of Dallas which was great fun for him as well.

Hope this helps.
cool. Thank you

Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 100,832 times
We had a variety of dogs on our east Texas ranch (they each had different jobs) cattle dogs, some shepherds, labs and dobermans - didn't help that I kept bringing home the strays like some little ones like terriers, chihuahuas, one daschund and a cross breed shepherd/wolf. The mix wolf took a lot of patience, we did have cattle after all and I was afraid he'd get shot by a neighbor, but he never left our property unless he was in the truck and he was very obedient. My dad trained them all and I was an adult before I realized not dogs were well behaved. It really does make a difference in the type of person a dog owner is. Both the full blooded German Shepherd and half-breed wolf were the best dogs we ever had, they were very loyal and wonderful companions and my best friends growing up.

Good luck to you and your puppies.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:59 AM

I disagree that Texas isn't dog friendly. I think it just depends on where you are. And too many people don't clean up after their pets or allow them to poop in someone else's yard and think it's okay, which is why there is so much negativity. Unfortunately there are not too many parks for dogs in the cities, however, I've travelled all over Texas with my daughter's chihuahua (which I've inherited while she's in college) and have never had a problem keeping her at any hotel, and as long as I pick up after her when I walk her, no one ever says anything. I also carry a collapsible kennel to make things easier some times, but she's also well trained, obedient and doesn't bark all the time. Animals that live in Texas get used to the heat and deal with it in different ways, just like humans do. I once had a collie that got her underside shaved every summer and would even bring me the clippers and our shephards would jump in the pool with us. My daughter's chihuahua favors airconditioning in the summer (not that I blame her), but she loves the outdoors, especially the beach. Most pets are welcome in the Texas parks system as long as they are on a leash and picked up after, although they are not allowed inside the park's buildings, and some even have kennels. I know this because we like to hike and so does the chihuahua.
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | State Parks & Destinations

There are a lot of breeders, shelters and kennels in east Texas, contacting some of them might provide more information.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Ooh, right after I logged out, I got into a conversation with a dog lover friend and she told me about this website: Texas Dog Parks, they call themselves the original dog park directory.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Let's see, The White Rock Dog Park to Jefferson, Texas.... 161.44 miles.

That really makes sense.

While in Jefferson, dine at the Black Swan Restaurant. The Prime Rib is totally excellent!

My brother lives near Winnsboro and he has an untold number of dogs and one Pot Belly Pig who thinks he's a dog running all over his farm untethered and no problems. A few new dogs just showed up one morning and my brother took them in too.

If you like to camp, or a place to take kiddos for a day to swim, check out Daingerfield State Park. It's our favorite.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd Lover View Post
I have five German Shepherd dogs and need to know if Texas is dog friendly. They are all well mannered, friendly and spayed and neutered.

I'm planning on buying in the country just outside of Jefferson, TX.
Can anyone fill me in on the pro's and con's of this area?

Thanks in advance
Isn't it a bit silly and useless to ask people to make such a broad generalization? How could we do it? Look up the dog-friendly rankings in a list of states? Commission a million dollar statewide poll for your benefit? Call each of the 25 million Texans on the phone and ask them?

Let's assume that in some Texas counties, the people customarily shoot dogs for sport, and in other counties, the dogs receive welfare checks from the government, the people love them so much. What would the answer be, then? Yes and no, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas