Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
In my experience, all of the places in the DFW area that I have lived have not affected my ability to become rich.
Maybe it's just you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
Ah yes...I was awaiting your Plano putdown with bated breath, and it has finally arrived..
Hey I would hate to disappoint you my interest in Real Estate sometimes gets the best of me.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb2522 View Post
Maybe it's just you?
Could be....but I doubt it.

FYI, I did not mean to imply I am rich with my previous comments.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
I say that because I have lived in the DFW area for a long time. I have lived in Northwest Dallas, Carrollton, Far North Dallas/Plano, North Dallas and East Dallas. The article told me that if I live in Plano I would have a greater chance of becoming rich. LOL. Maybe I read it wrong. Seems quite hilarious to me. In my experience, all of the places in the DFW area that I have lived have not affected my ability to become rich. All of these places have relatively cheap COL and are accessible to highly paid jobs. That is why I would say regions or metro areas would be a better way to construct the rankings.
I'll have to agree with you as well. Not just from my OWN personal experience but those that I know as well and most of them have NEVER lived "IN" Plano. In the Dallas area I've lived in Dallas, Farmers Branch, Carrollton, Denton, FAR North Dallas, Garland, Rowlett and back to Garland. Having not lived in Plano has not hurt us from being able to obtain a certain level of "wealth". Actually probably has HELPED as when we have looked to buy in Plano in the past the housing was more for the same size house on a smaller lot. That would SO cramp my husbands style and would not have provided the land at home for him to indulge in his hobbies. I'd also say "region" is a much more appropriate way to judge this vs just a city/suburb of a much LARGER city.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:39 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
If you take the classification to its lowest level of absurdity, you need to identify the specific neighborhood in Plano that will make you rich.

Personally, I thought the classic way to become wealthy is to work effectively, make money, spend as little as possible on necessities, invest the rest wisely. It has nothing to do with living in Plano as opposed to McKinney.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
My second reference today to "The Millionaire Next Door":

"They believe that financial independence is more important than displaying high social status. They tend to judge every expenditure on how it will contribute to the bottom line. They are also less likely be in a position, either dictated by career or neighborhood, that requires them to “keep up with the Joneses.”"

Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
If you take the classification to its lowest level of absurdity, you need to identify the specific neighborhood in Plano that will make you rich.
That's why it wasn't taken "to its lowest level of absurdity". Did you even read the article? The criteria used in the comparison wouldn't be applicable to a region.

Yes, they could have done it by neighborhood, they could have done it by side of the street in the neighborhood. They could have done it by region or state. They chose to do this comparison by city. For God's sake, they can use whatever criteria they wish, as long as the criteria are applied equally among all of the entities being considered.

It has become comical to see the lengths some will go to discredit Plano and other cities, while blindly clinging to their own selfish little views of their towns as the paragon of DFW lifestyle.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
My second reference today to "The Millionaire Next Door":

"They believe that financial independence is more important than displaying high social status. They tend to judge every expenditure on how it will contribute to the bottom line. They are also less likely be in a position, either dictated by career or neighborhood, that requires them to “keep up with the Joneses.”"
Lakewooder,

Have the book on the nightstand right next to my bed. It is as comforting to read as any book I have ever had.

But indulge me: what exactly is the point of your reference as it relates to this thread?

Thanks

Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM

119 posts, read 292,016 times
Quote:
The article told me that if I live in Plano I would have a greater chance of becoming rich. LOL. Maybe I read it wrong.
Yes, you read it wrong. For starters, it's only for cities with populations over 250,000. So your experience in Carrollton is really irrelevant.

I don't really understand what your confusion is about this article. It's not rocket science.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 PM

119 posts, read 292,016 times
This is the very first sentence that seems to not have been read by a few:

Quote:
Salary.com's "2008 Salary Value Index" surveyed 69 metropolitan areas with more than 250,000 people and ranked the best and worst places to build personal wealth and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas