Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM

355 posts, read 1,376,759 times

Advertisements

All old threads about Denton seem to be a Denton vs. Austin type of thing. It also seems people either love it or hate it. I'm a 22 year old girl basically just looking for a good, safe, down to earth place with a great music scene. From my research, the city seems pretty liberal, artsy, and its not too expensive. I will taking out a small loan to finish school at UNT. What I would like to know is:

Is the UNT degree regarded well in the area? or do the UTD, UTA graduates land the top spots in the job market?

Is the UNT business school/program good?

I need to find me a husband. lol. are there lots of fellows?

Is Denton really comparable to Austin? Are there lots of musical opportunities in Denton? Independent radio stations, etc.?

Anyone who lives there, looking to move there, or lived there have any opinions/advice? Its close enough to the Dallas area if I need to go explore but I need opinions from real people, not soley wikipedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,810 times
UNT is known as a good school for music majors; I am unaware that they are known for other academic programs.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
UNT is known as a good school for music majors; I am unaware that they are known for other academic programs.

Well thats discouraging. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Actually, I'm a graduate of COBA and the business department is well regarded in the metroplex. When I was there about 10 years ago they offered a leadership program that partnered with area businesses such as EDS, JC Penney, Allstate, etc.

It's a suitcase college in that a lot of the students are from places close enough to head home on the weekends. So it gets dismissed far faster than it should.

Oh and for Fratermus, it is well known for it's elementary education program and it's social work program.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 AM

24 posts, read 70,841 times
No, Denton is no Austin... but it is a nice, medium sized town. If I ever had to move back to the area, Denton would be close to the top of my list of places to live. I used to in fact live within walking distance of UNT.

Denton is close enough to Dallas and Ft. Worth without being too close, and still maintains a more laid back feel.

Why the rush to get married? My sisters were both the same way... "got to get married". Still, if thats your goal there are plenty of people around I suppose lol...

Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 AM

Forgot to answer your other questions.

Yes, music is big in Denton. Check out My Denton Music Home - Your Source for Denton Music

Lots of music comes from Denton - Eagles and Norah Jones are just a couple of big names that started there. The school has a radio station but it's mostly a Jazz station. I'm sure there are some independent stations but I'm too far away to recieve those (other than KNTU - they use a different call sign because KUNT probably would get past the censors)

And yes, plenty of men.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Actually, I'm a graduate of COBA and the business department is well regarded in the metroplex. When I was there about 10 years ago they offered a leadership program that partnered with area businesses such as EDS, JC Penney, Allstate, etc.

It's a suitcase college in that a lot of the students are from places close enough to head home on the weekends. So it gets dismissed far faster than it should.

Oh and for Fratermus, it is well known for it's elementary education program and it's social work program.

So I take it you havent had a problem with employment? I read a lot on the forum where people say the employers will pick a UT Austin graduate over UNT every day of the week.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:29 PM

No, I haven't. And I've also been in HR for quite a while and UNT has a solid enough reputation that it's not an automatic pick to go with UT. Unless the hiring manager is a Longhorn.

UT, A&M and SMU have far better alumni networking which seems to help with getting leads. But once you are in the working world you should be working on building that outside of just your college alum association or your fraternity/sorority links.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:07 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,558 times
I've been in the Denton area for 8 years now. For a town its size, it has a nice music scene. oh, and If you want to meet a guy, just hang out in the rec center at UNT. The multimillion dollar center is a total meat market. LOL.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Your tax dollars at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: