Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 7,597 times

Advertisements

Is there anybody who can tell me if Wilmer is a great place to live? what is there to do out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 11:24 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Wilmer is a semi-rural blue collar city south of Dallas.

Wilmer may see a population boom thanks to the Union Pacific Intermodal Terminal, which is partly in Wilmer and partly in neighboring Hutchins.

Wilmer has had little development partly because the Wilmer-Hutchins Independent School District was considered to be the worst in Texas. In fall 2005, WHISD, which had ran out of money, started sending kids to Dallas Independent School District Schools. DISD took over officially in fall 2006; all residents of Wilmer are assigned to DISD schools.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 9,060 times
I Love Living In Oak Cliff (kessler Park) I Had A Great View Of The Beautiful Down Town Dallas And The Firework Show That Came From The Fair Park On My Front Porch And I Lived Across The Street From A Great School That My Children Still Attend And I Left It To Live In Wilmer. I Have No Regrets I Like It Here I Lived Here When I Was A Child And It Feels Good Running In To Old Friend I Grew Up With Yeah I Hate That The Schools Went Bad And Made Wilmer Look Bad Im Not Saying Living In Wilmer Is Better Then Living In Kessler Park But Its A Whole Lot Better Then Living In Unpleasant Grove.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 17,211 times

There are still some beautiful homesites.
The 'city" consists of City Hall and a police station. City Hall has never heard of the word Nepotism.
My advice visit a City Hall meeting. The Demographics are about 40% black 40% Hispanic and 20% White. The First two groups obviously do not vote. You'll figure that out the first time you see the elected officials line up...sorry I mean sit down in the Council Meeting.
Right now there is no school District. The Library I believe is closed. When it was open its hours were 10 a.m. to 2:00p.m. Closed on Saturdays So the kids could not use it any way. If the population stays under 5000 you don't get to vote on the City Budget. Drive through the "city" check out the streets.
Zoning forget it, they might have to hire someone outside the family to do the inspections.
The Baptist Church is great. The pastor is phenominal. The Congregation is friendly and I was NEVER EVER a Baptist.
If you are wanting to take on a cause, come on out! It has real potential once there is an interested and unrelated citizenbase.

Last edited by oldtimer8; 10-10-2007 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 17,211 times
Same here... I lived in Oak Cliff had friends in Kessler Park and went to Adamson. Moved out here and it is quite and peaceful. I just wish that City Hall was as interested in people as they are in business. But Business means Tax Dollars and a population over 5000 means someone besides City Hall can approve the Budget.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
To answer the question, Lidia, not yet. The W-H area is the one place in the Metroplex that's sorely lacking in residential and retail. I am optimistic that that will change. The Dallas Logistics Hub is going in, and new businesses will pop up. So far, I've only seen one new neighborhood being built in Wilmer. Most newer neighborhoods can be found in Lancaster, but it may change for Wilmer if the right people come in and bring ideas for how to develop that area. The I-45 corridor is ugly right now, but it should improve over time once The Hub gets more established. Once a large group of rooftops get built, then retail will come. And, no, unfortunately, there is nothing to do out there. I emphasize not yet.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 13,481 times
Lidia, I lived there for 13 years. It is a very poor area. You really need to visit the area before making a choice to live there. I lived in the town just below Wilmer 4 miles on I45, called Ferris for 17 years.. Much nicer area with new homes going in all the time. Wilmer and Hutchins, hutchins 4 miles north.. had a school district together that was taken away from them for mis handling of funds. So the school district is now part of Dallas and children would have to be bused over 10 miles to school.. My advise.. Live in Ferris or Red Oak ,, both great school districts and commute the small rural drive of 10 miles from Red Oak, or 4 Miles from Ferris.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I grew up in Oak Cliff and must say the Wilmer/Hutchins area has changed very little since the 70's. With the logistic hub going in things might change but for now that area of Dallas remains the least developed area in the DFW area. The area between Balch Springs to Lancaster has pretty much remained untouched for at least 30 years.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,203 times
City of Wilmer freakin eat horse balls!!!!!! That place is freakin horrible!! They usually hide around I-45 and give people traffic tickets all day the only way to make money for that dumb redneck town! There are people who get robbed there and homes broken into but the police is nowhere around because they are worried about making $$ from people speeding. If they really cared about the law they wouldnt be doing this just another way to show how of a Stupid azz hick town it is. A bunch of low educated dumb azzes!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM

102 posts, read 429,867 times
So, you just got a ticket in Wilmer, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usothrowed View Post
City of Wilmer freakin eat horse balls!!!!!! That place is freakin horrible!! They usually hide around I-45 and give people traffic tickets all day the only way to make money for that dumb redneck town! There are people who get robbed there and homes broken into but the police is nowhere around because they are worried about making $$ from people speeding. If they really cared about the law they wouldnt be doing this just another way to show how of a Stupid azz hick town it is. A bunch of low educated dumb azzes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas