Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,076,856 times

Advertisements

Fort Worth is nothing more than an administrative subdivision of the metro. Just as Camden and Merton are independent administrative subdivisions of London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,858,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Fort Worth is nothing more than an administrative subdivision of the metro. Just as Camden and Merton are independent administrative subdivisions of London.
Ace maybe you should wake up and smell the coffee and quit your bias towards the city of Fort Worth. Tarrant county continues to outpace the entire metro area in growth. People are not moving to the tarrant area for there good health.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Ace maybe you should wake up and smell the coffee and quit your bias towards the city of Fort Worth. Tarrant county continues to outpace the entire metro area in growth. People are not moving to the tarrant area for there good health.
Tarrant county is not the same as Fort Worth. If you're confused on that issue, you are confused indeed.

Tarrant county has bundled up into the Dallas metro because more than 30% of its working population commutes to Dallas, Collin and Denton counties for employment. I'd imagine this is from eastern Tarrant locations such as Southlake and Grapevine, as well as Arlington.

The point is this... that Fort Worth is basically no different than Arlington or Grapevine or Frisco or Mesquite, other than population... it is merely just another of the many local governments within the Dallas metro. And of course municipal Dallas is also just one of the many local governments in the Dallas metro.

Think about this question... is the Arlington city council legally subordinate in any way to the Fort Worth city council?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,858,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Tarrant county is not the same as Fort Worth. If you're confused on that issue, you are confused indeed.

Tarrant county has bundled up into the Dallas metro because more than 30% of its working population commutes to Dallas, Collin and Denton counties for employment. I'd imagine this is from eastern Tarrant locations such as Southlake and Grapevine, as well as Arlington.

The point is this... that Fort Worth is basically no different than Arlington or Grapevine or Frisco or Mesquite, other than population... it is merely just another of the many local governments within the Dallas metro. And of course municipal Dallas is also just one of the many local governments in the Dallas metro.

Think about this question... is the Arlington city council legally subordinate in any way to the Fort Worth city council?
Of that 30% of Tarrant county residents that commute to Dallas I would bet at least half of that number commute to Los Colinas (Irving), which isn't in Dallas city limits. So the notion that some way Dallas is the dominate city in the region is false. Most so call Dallas fortune 500 companies lie outside the city limits of Dallas (including Fort Worth). So basically Dallas is no different from Crowley, Hurst, Euless, Plano etc... Of course Fort Worth has nothing to do with the city of Arlington city council, but Dallas is virtually closed in by its suburbs and have no input on its suburbs either. If they had the power I am sure all of Dallas county would have been annexed.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 AM

341 posts, read 1,020,433 times
I dunno for sure, but it's my understanding that Ft Worth has unrestricted growth opportunites to the north and west whereas Dallas is effectively cutoff from additional growth in that direction because of existing large incorporated municipalites like Richardson & Plano ? And everybody knows that
south of Dallas where wide-open spaces lie is not the path of growth and development in N.Texas. Therefor its really only a matter of time before Ft Worth surpases Dalles in population, though even then I suspect the Dallas homers will continue to call the region "Dallas" ?
The Texas Motor Speedway is in Ft Worth and the Rangers play in the Ft Worth 'burb Arlington as will the Cowboys in a few months. Dallas has no central center attraction like Sundance Square and the top cultural attraction in all of N.Texas (probably the whole state) is the Amon Carter Museum.
The trend in N.Texas is pretty apparent it would seem.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,606,390 times
It's called Dallas because it's always been called Dallas. Nothing more, nothing less. I suspect in the future it will still be called Dallas. Don't read too much into it and stop getting so darned defensive over it. It's just a name.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:49 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,523,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Dallas has no central center attraction like Sundance Square and the top cultural attraction in all of N.Texas (probably the whole state) is the Amon Carter Museum.
Dallas does have a central attraction. It's called Downtown Dallas. If you go there, you can visit the observation deck at Reunion Tower, the Sixth Floor Museum & Dealey Plaza, the Dallas County Historical Museum (Old Red Courthouse), the Dallas World Aquarium, the flagship Neiman Marcus, the DMA, the Nasher Sculpture Center, the Crow Collection of Asian Art, the Myerson Symphony Hall, and soon the Dallas Center for the Performing Arts Dallas Center for the Performing Arts among many other attractions. You can also dine at great restaurants like Steven Pyles, Charlie Palmer or Wolfgang Puck's new place. All of this is walkable too, but you could take DART rail from point to point.

Not to take anything away from Ft. Worth, because it is a nice city, but I seriously doubt that the top cultural attraction in N. Texas or all of Texas is the Amon Carter Museum.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Of that 30% of Tarrant county residents that commute to Dallas I would bet at least half of that number commute to Los Colinas (Irving), which isn't in Dallas city limits. So the notion that some way Dallas is the dominate city in the region is false. Most so call Dallas fortune 500 companies lie outside the city limits of Dallas (including Fort Worth). So basically Dallas is no different from Crowley, Hurst, Euless, Plano etc... Of course Fort Worth has nothing to do with the city of Arlington city council, but Dallas is virtually closed in by its suburbs and have no input on its suburbs either. If they had the power I am sure all of Dallas county would have been annexed.
I think your basic message is your antipathy toward municipal Dallas, which is consistent with the "Fort Worth inferiority-superiority complex". Thank God that no other Dallas-area municipality has such an ego problem!

Personally, I'm not interested in promoting the Dallas municipal government... I'm interested in portraying municipal governments such as Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano, etc., as relatively unimportant in the larger scheme of things. The "larger scheme of things" is the single unified metro that is commonly known as "Dallas" all over the world.

If that uncomfortable reality is a thorn in the side to some... let them get professional help. I don't think that venting in an internet forum is the cure.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,949,028 times
Why am I not suprised that this turned into a Dallas vs. Fort Worth thread?

Look, just face facts

To Dallasites: Fort Worth is its own city and the people of the city will NEVER say that it's a suburb of Dallas. Accept it

To Fort Worthians: Until Fort Worth becomes as big and well known as Dallas (and maybe even then), Dallasites will ALWAYS see Fort Worth and anyother city within 50 miles their suburb. Accept it.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 PM

2,999 posts, read 3,550,866 times
I'm glad to know that DFW is the best, but do we really want people flocking here from other parts of the country so that more and more developments spring up and transform our towns with even more sprawl and compete with longtime locals for jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas