Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 74,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I say "city of the decade" because, in the past 10 years, Houston has made a major impact on the music scene and sports. Beyonce and Hip Hop, it hosted Super Bowl XXXVIII (Patriots' 2nd championship and Janet Jackson "Wardrobe Malfunction"), 2004 MLB All-star Game (same year as the Super Bowl), 2006 NBA All-star Game, and the city even hosted Wrestlemania TWICE on both ends of the decade (2001 and 2009), Astros made it to the World Series for the first time in '05, and let's not forget the 32nd franchise in the NFL.....

Oh, and Hurricaine Ike!

So Houston has been on the scene alot in this young Millennium. I'd still say it's a candidate at least.
I get into this argument all the time with my friends from houston who act like they have set the world on fire with all of these events. Let see Beyonce has done great, no disputing that, but every time i see her it is a nets or knicks game with jay-z and i immediately tie it to new york, not houston. Dallas/ fort worth will be hosting the super bowl in 2 years, with the largest amount of events building up to the game than ever before. The mlb all star game was forgettable except the home town hero clemens getting blown out in his stadium. D/FW is hosting the nba all star game next year but in a bigger and more rememerable venue. I wouldnt brag about hosting wrestlemaina twice, though it most likely is an economic boom to the city so congrats on that. The astros did make it to the world series, and got swept. The mavs made it to the finals in 2006 and the stars won the cup in 1999. Oh and for that 32nd team in the nfl, they're embarrising and still not made the playoffs and not the type of sports marketing you want your city known for. You never hear about the texans unless its a nfl live recap showing which team beat them.
In short.. houston is still irrevelant on the sports scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,960,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clcrash29 View Post
I get into this argument all the time with my friends from houston who act like they have set the world on fire with all of these events. Let see Beyonce has done great, no disputing that, but every time i see her it is a nets or knicks game with jay-z and i immediately tie it to new york, not houston. Dallas/ fort worth will be hosting the super bowl in 2 years, with the largest amount of events building up to the game than ever before. The mlb all star game was forgettable except the home town hero clemens getting blown out in his stadium. D/FW is hosting the nba all star game next year but in a bigger and more rememerable venue. I wouldnt brag about hosting wrestlemaina twice, though it most likely is an economic boom to the city so congrats on that. *The astros did make it to the world series, and got swept. The mavs made it to the finals in 2006* and the stars won the cup in 1999. Oh and for that 32nd team in the nfl, they're embarrising and still not made the playoffs and not the type of sports marketing you want your city known for. You never hear about the texans unless its a nfl live recap showing which team beat them.
In short.. houston is still irrevelant on the sports scene
Nice first post.... it kinda reminds me of mine.
LOL

Anyway, don't try to start up a city vs. city thing (there's a subforum for that) because no one is trying to make it seem that way. Wheteher you think so or not, Houston has been in the national spotlight more than alot of other cities in this country since 2000.
Also, whether you think so or not, H-town HAS been big this decade because of everything I've mentioned. For one thing, I don't know anybody who DOESN'T put Beyonce and Houston together an no matter what you think of DFW, Houston has done more for sports in the past 10 years. And you mentioning the New Cowboys Stadium and its events.... uh... that's NEXT decade, and I'm talking about NOW.

* BTW, the Astros did get swept out of the title, but the Mavs were two games ahead of the Heat in the Finals.... and then choked away the series. Then the very next season, they were the #1 team in the leauge and got knocked out of the FIRST round. So I don't think that was a good example.....*

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Nice first post.... it kinda reminds me of mine.
LOL

Anyway, don't try to start up a city vs. city thing (there's a subforum for that) because no one is trying to make it seem that way. Wheteher you think so or not, Houston has been in the national spotlight more than alot of other cities in this country since 2000.
Also, whether you think so or not, H-town HAS been big this decade because of everything I've mentioned. For one thing, I don't know anybody who DOESN'T put Beyonce and Houston together an no matter what you think of DFW, Houston has done more for sports in the past 10 years. And you mentioning the New Cowboys Stadium and its events.... uh... that's NEXT decade, and I'm talking about NOW.

* BTW, the Astros did get swept out of the title, but the Mavs were two games ahead of the Heat in the Finals.... and then choked away the series. Then the very next season, they were the #1 team in the leauge and got knocked out of the FIRST round. So I don't think that was a good example.....*
Houston has not been that big this decade especially in sports and i lived there from 2001- 2004 and was raised there for a while. Yes you hosted some big events and that gives you coverage for a couple of days of that event. But tell me when does a houston sports team get more than there fair share of coverage. Never, you barely ever hear about the astros or rockets, and almost never hear about the texans except for prior to draft day because they have a top ten pick bc they suck every year. You got coverage for the clemens steriod stuff but that was short lived and not positive coverage. Yes the mavs did choke the series away but at least we got two wins in the finals and acted like we should have been there anyway. Your not a big sports media market, you dont host any circle the calendar type of events(red river shootout, cotton bowl,) you have one pga tournament to our two and one college football bowl to our two as well as no hockey team. But its cool ill give you the rodeo and wrestlemaina, houston can have those. Yes i usually dont post, but im tired of hearing of how great houston is sports and entertainment wise b/c i didnt notice it when i lived there.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,862,624 times
Quote:
Houston has not been that big this decade especially in sports and i lived there from 2001- 2004 and was raised there for a while. Yes you hosted some big events and that gives you coverage for a couple of days of that event. But tell me when does a houston sports team get more than there fair share of coverage. Never, you barely ever hear about the astros or rockets, and almost never hear about the texans except for prior to draft day because they have a top ten pick bc they suck every year. You got coverage for the clemens steriod stuff but that was short lived and not positive coverage. Yes the mavs did choke the series away but at least we got two wins in the finals and acted like we should have been there anyway. Your not a big sports media market, you dont host any circle the calendar type of events(red river shootout, cotton bowl,) you have one pga tournament to our two and one college football bowl to our two as well as no hockey team. But its cool ill give you the rodeo and wrestlemaina, houston can have those. Yes i usually dont post, but im tired of hearing of how great houston is sports and entertainment wise b/c i didnt notice it when i lived there.
Houstonians know they are not much of a sports town, but they do bring big events to Houston so the city does reap the economic benifits. Reliant Stadium is the key ingredient to why Houston has hosted plenty of major sporting events over the last decade.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
JJG

Quote:
First off... I'm NOT from Houston. I'm actually from Fort Worth.

And second, your comming on here and trying to start an argument when NO ONE else is. DFW has two (really three) major cities, so it would make some since into why the area hosts TWO of something, i.e. Cotton Bowl in Dallas and Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth.
I mentioned the Mavs choking in the finals to show that it's just about as embarrasing (maybe even more) to have everyone hand the championship to the team, while not even closing out the series, and then giving it away than getting swept. Matter of fact, isn't loosing the last 4 straight mean your getting swept in a way?

Houston may not have it's "Cotton Bowl" and "Red River Shootout", but it has hosted major pro sports events in the past 10 years. Those are rare, hyped up more, and they bring more money into the city. You don't see those in your city EVERY year, so yeah, I think that's a big deal. And exactly how many major events like that has DFW hosted (in the past ten years, NOT in 2011 and beyond)?

DFW is a great sports area and no one is saying that it isn't, so don't try to argue with someone who is NOT downgrading DFW. If you wanna do that, go to the city vs. city thread, since you seem to have something against the city....

Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,283,910 times
Quote:

All i've got to say is you've got to be either deaf or blind if you truly haven't noticed Houston and all the coverage its gotten this last decade, True, the sports teams haven't had much but at least the Astros went to the World Series, even if we did get swept away. Same way Dallasites brag about going to the NBA playoffs in 2005 only to get swept away by Phoenix in the next go round. Really, what great has Dallas's sports teams done to really have room to talk about Houston? The last time i checked, the last real run any Dallas sports team had was in the mid 90s with the Cowboys. That's coming up on 2 decades ago! Get over yourselves. (You sound like you're an undercover Dallasite that's why i included you)

Houston has made it possible to host many events back to back such as the Big 12, Superbowl, MLB All stars, NBA all stars, and etc.

Aside from Sports, Houston has more developments going on throughout the city more than any other city in Texas right now. So leave your personal vendetta against the city out of it. During the time you lived here in 2001-2004, Houston wasn’t even what it has become today. I’ve been here since 2004 and this city has moved up at least 5 points on the scale in the 5 short years I’ve been here.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 04-14-2009 at 03:03 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
All i've got to say is you've got to be either deaf or blind if you truly haven't noticed Houston and all the coverage its gotten this last decade, True, the sports teams haven't had much but at least the Astros went to the World Series, even if we did get swept away. Same way Dallasites brag about going to the NBA playoffs in 2005 only to get swept away by Phoenix in the next go round. Really, what great has Dallas's sports teams done to really have room to talk about Houston? The last time i checked, the last real run any Dallas sports team had was in the mid 90s with the Cowboys. That's coming up on 2 decades ago! Get over yourselves. (You sound like you're an undercover Dallasite that's why i included you)

Houston has made it possible to host many events back to back such as the Big 12, Superbowl, MLB All stars, NBA all stars, and etc.

Aside from Sports, Houston has more developments going on throughout the city more than any other city in Texas right now. So leave your personal vendetta against the city out of it. During the time you lived here in 2001-2004, Houston wasn’t even what it has become today. I’ve been here since 2004 and this city has moved up at least 5 points on the scale in the 5 short years I’ve been here.
First off, now i am a dallasite because i live here now and secondly what great run has a houston team had since the mid 90's when jordan wasnt even in the league. Because thats the only run you have had. You cant count the astros going to world series, if your not going to count the mavs getting two wins and nearly winning the title. Remember we did win the stanley cup in 99 and got back there in 2000. Secondly, you hosted a lot of these events because your venues were new at the time. Just like dallas will do this decade because our venues are new. We could have had the nba all star game, but we have passed many times until a bigger venue was built. We hosted the mlb all star game in 94, when our stadium was just built. We hosted the nhl all star game, and now we will host the super bowl. Have you noticed that phoenix is hosting a lot of events as well, its because they have new facilities as well. And for cowboy fans, we havent won a playoff game since 96, thats well documented but we still get more than our fair share of coverage because is the most popular sports franchise in the most popular sport.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:48 PM

190 posts, read 431,346 times
there are 13 cities with teams in the 4 major professional sports. houston is not one of them, dallas is. just throwing it out there

Old 04-14-2009, 03:59 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,557,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
there are 13 cities with teams in the 4 major professional sports. houston is not one of them, dallas is. just throwing it out there
No, there are 13 Metropolitan Areas with the 4 major teams, but you are right, Houston's metro is not one of them.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:00 PM
JJG

Ugh..... here we go with this.....

Look, people. Just go to one of the millions of Houston vs. Dallas threads on this forum if you want to argue about which city is better.

For the last time, I was just pointing out all of the events (and the music) that has put Houston in the national spotlight recently.
I SAID NOTHING ABOUT DALLAS OR DFW. Not at all.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas