Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 AM

341 posts, read 1,019,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctransplant70 View Post
I'd move to Dallas unless you like REALLY hot and humid weather.
My time in Texas left me with this basic distinction about the these 2 places - Dallas is in fact "less humid". And they go on and on about that in Dallas
as though their lower level of humitity is some kind of badge of superiority to them. But make no mistake about the fact that the summers in Dallas are also very miserable and just as hot (actually higher temps during the worst summer months of June, July, & August). And they do have plenty of humidity ( we're not talking dry air), but less than Houston.
If you don't like heat or worse can't handle it, you will not like the climate in Dallas or Houston. On the other hand both places have relative comfortable winters (Houstons is milder), with about 6-7 months of good weather in general. So if you detest cold weather and can tolerate some pretty dang nasty and very lengthy summer heat, Dallas and Houston have climates that will agree with you.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
Dallas is HIGH in crime, but Houston is leading.
Ok this comment makes absolutely no sense. How is Houston leading when that article clearly states at the top that they are ranked from lowest to highest? Houston ranked before Dallas. You must be talking about the lead Houston has in certain categories, but the same can be said for Dallas in the other categories. Either way, Dallas overall still came out higher.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 04-10-2009 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
My time in Texas left me with this basic distinction about the these 2 places - Dallas is in fact "less humid". And they go on and on about that in Dallas
as though their lower level of humitity is some kind of badge of superiority to them. But make no mistake about the fact that the summers in Dallas are also very miserable and just as hot (actually higher temps during the worst summer months of June, July, & August).
And they do have plenty of humidity ( we're not talking dry air), but less than Houston.
If you don't like heat or worse can't handle it, you will not like the climate in Dallas or Houston. On the other hand both places have relative comfortable winters (Houstons is milder), with about 6-7 months of good weather in general. So if you detest cold weather and can tolerate some pretty dang nasty and very lengthy summer heat, Dallas and Houston have climates that will agree with you.
I've lived in both and I've never understood that either. Texas is HOT in summer, period. Yes, the humidity in Houston can be uncomfortable, but you learn to avoid it during the heat of the day, or you adjust and acclimate to it, and it does wonders for the skin. It's not THAT big of a deal or five million people wouldn't be living here. And I can honestly say I've never once suffered from heat stroke in Houston like I did twice in Dallas! Other than that, I say visit each city to see which is your cup of tea and take your pick.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Exactly. Dallas's heat is worse than Houston's to me. Even though it does have a lower humidity, it's still hotter temp wise and still has some humidity to add to that. When i came from Colorado to visit Dallas one year during the summer, i still felt humidity.

Also,I never bought the argument of dry heat vs humid heat. It's just as uncomfortable, if not more in places like say Vegas or Phoenix. The air is so hot, it burns your skin kind of like when you open an oven door that's at 100+ degrees. People definitely over exaggerate the summers in Houston like its the worst it can get.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:35 PM

342 posts, read 685,684 times
dallas heat is bad, they have droughts so it makes the heat worse, as i type wild fires are goin on near dallas because of the lack of rain and the dryness. but i really love dallas winter it atleast snows out there in houston december you still can go swimming, as for crime houston is worse, i dont if anyone seen that report, about hpd basically hiding crimes to make the city look better for an example hpd turn at least 30 homocides into assuslts. thats for the 2007 and 2008 year which if that would of counted it would put houston in front of dallas for the most dangerous city in texas. im from houston, and i lived in both cities crimes happen more in houston. if you decide to move to houston, please have a good work out regiment, beacause houston is so diverse, there are so many good food places everywhere.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 PM

342 posts, read 685,684 times
......besides westheimer and richmond has more personality to it, than the whole city of dallas!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Dallas's heat is bad, they have droughts so it makes the heat worse. As i type, wild fires are going on near dallas because of the lack of rain and the dryness, but i really love dallas winter. At least it snows out there. In Houston, the month of December you still can go swimming. As for crime, Houston is worse. I dont KNOW if anyone has seen that report about HPD basically hiding crimes to make the city look better. For example, HPD turned at least 30 homocides into assaults. That's for the 2007 and 2008 year, which if that would have counted, it would put Houston in front of Dallas as the most dangerous city in Texas. I'm from Houston, and i lived in both cities. Crime happens more in Houston. If you decide to move to houston, please have a good work out regiment. Because Houston is so diverse, there are so many good food places everywhere.
For anyone who had trouble understanding this post, i took the liberty of editing it for him. The highlighted word was simply my guess on what he was trying to say.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 04-10-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Dallas's heat is bad, they have droughts so it makes the heat worse. As i type, wild fires are going on near dallas because of the lack of rain and the dryness, but i really love dallas winter. At least it snows out there. In Houston, the month of December you still can go swimming. As for crime, Houston is worse. I dont KNOW if anyone has seen that report about HPD basically hiding crimes to make the city look better. For example, HPD turned at least 30 homocides into assaults. That's for the 2007 and 2008 year, which if that would have counted, it would put Houston in front of Dallas as the most dangerous city in Texas. I'm from Houston, and i lived in both cities. Crimes happens more in Houston. If you decide to move to houston, please have a good work out regiment. Because Houston is so diverse, there are so many good food places everywhere.
Now to critique.

I did hear the report about KHOU underreporting. Ever since 2005 when the Katrina evacuees came to town, Houston's crime rate has skyrocketed. Unfortunately, alot of New Orlean's trash ended up in Houston causing a 70% spike in crime rate for Houston in less than 6 months. I guess that's what Houston gets for trying to lend a helping hand. New Orleans Officials went so far as to say that they didn't want the criminals back and to let them stay in Houston.

While the crime rate has soared, I still disagree that it's worse and more dangerous than Dallas. Maybe the last 2 years have proven that it probably is but not overall. There's still way more frequent cases of grand larceny and robberies occurring in Big D. All in all, the two cities even out about the same.

Take a look at these reports: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Another source:

Houston: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Dallas: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

EDIT:

BTW, i'm curious to know what a workout regimen would do to protect anyone against crime. The last time i checked, a bullet is stronger than muscle.

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2009 at 03:31 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
I would go with Houston. Dallas is still a southern city despite its economic wealth. It is close to Oklahoma and Arkansas and it still has a big southern feel and presence to it. The people are very southern and conservative. Dallas residents are in denial about it which makes it worse. It has a strong evangelical presence and is a part of the Bible Belt. People still speak with a drawl in Dallas whereas in Houston they don't speak with one or it's barely noticeable. There are a lot of Bible thumpers in the DFW area. North Texas is Southern Baptist whereas south Texas is mostly Roman Catholic. Although Houston has the Bible Belt feel to it as well, it's much worse in Dallas. Houston just feels like a more multicultural and urban city. It has much better weather too. Dallas has arguably some of the worst weather in the country. It's summers are hot and humid and its winters are cold, dry and windy. The wind in Dallas can be so strong that the temperate could 45 degrees but feel like 28 with the wind chill. Dallas also has more tornadoes (although Houston gets hurricanes so pick your poison there) So you have the worst of both worlds. Houston is hot and sticky in the summer but nearly perfect the rest of the year.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would go with Houston. Dallas is still a southern city despite its economic wealth. It is close to Oklahoma and Arkansas and it still has a big southern feel and presence to it. The people are very southern and conservative. Dallas residents are in denial about it which makes it worse. It has a strong evangelical presence and is a part of the Bible Belt. People still speak with a drawl in Dallas whereas in Houston they don't speak with one or it's barely noticeable. There are a lot of Bible thumpers in the DFW area. North Texas is Southern Baptist whereas south Texas is mostly Roman Catholic. Although Houston has the Bible Belt feel to it as well, it's much worse in Dallas. Houston just feels like a more multicultural and urban city. It has much better weather too. Dallas has arguably some of the worst weather in the country. It's summers are hot and humid and its winters are cold, dry and windy. The wind in Dallas can be so strong that the temperate could 45 degrees but feel like 28 with the wind chill. Dallas also has more tornadoes (although Houston gets hurricanes so pick your poison there) So you have the worst of both worlds. Houston is hot and sticky in the summer but nearly perfect the rest of the year.
Well, it's nice to see that you have quit claiming that Dallas is majority S. Baptist Evangelical and anti-gay since you could not come up with any statistical evidence on your previous rants. However, you're bias still shines through. It's obvious that you have an ax to grind because of whatever negative experience(s) you had in Dallas. You still extrapolate those negatives from your limited experience here and apply them to all things Dallas. You obviously didn't get out much while you were here. Perhaps you are blaming Dallas for something that you can not accept about yourself?
Psychological projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Dallas native; 04-11-2009 at 12:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas