Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

I think the poster is referring to Fort Worth. Every building in and around that city is brown and plain. You see a lot of old trains, train tracks, and an absence of modern architecture. People are more slow and traditional there. Austin is similar, it isn't called Hill Country because it is so amazingly modern and progressive.

Dallas is modernized and progressive in most all areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
What do you mean by "Dallas is much more country than Houston". What do you mean by "country", I have heard people say this about Charlotte and Atlanta for some reason. What does a person mean when they call a place country?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaali View Post
Lets just say that most of the people I know in Houston including myself do not sound like we are from Texas. The majority of the people I know in Dallas have a country accent. I know not everywhere, but there are still a bunch of people in Dallas that wear cowboy hats and boots. I rarely ever see that in Houston unless it is the two weeks during Rodeo.
I'm curious, where do you hang out in Dallas?

You're right, many people in Houston do not sound like they're from Texas, that would be Southern Louisiana. That is not meant as a knock either, it's the truth.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas distaff mayors Laura Miller and Annette Strauss are/were Jewish Democrats. Sorry that does not fit your stereotype..
When I was in Houston way back in the 80s they had a Jewish woman who was their mayor, name was Kathy Whitmire, so of course a Democrat. I never could figure that one out ? The epicenter of the worlds "oil-patch" controlled by the good-ole boy network and yet a 30-something Jewish woman was the mayor ?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,734 times
Default Tale of two cities

These two cities are very different. Houston tends to be blue collar and Dallas tends to be white collar. The City of Houston is larger than the City of Dallas, but the Dallas/Fort metroplex is larger than the Houston metroplex. The Houston economy is highly dependent on the petrochemical industy. The Dallas economy is more diversified and home to many corporate headquarters. The traffic is horrible in both cities.

Here is a summary of the weather conditions;

Houston; The summers are hot and the humidity is extremely high. You will see roaches and mosquitos that are twice the normal size. There is mold growing everywhere. The winters are relatively mild and it rarely snows. Other than hurricanes, there is little extreme weather. I did frequently notice strange smells in the air which is due to all the chemical plants in the area. Houston is only an hour or two from the ocean.

Dallas; The summers are very hot albeit a little dryer than Houston. Dallas is closer to having four seasons. You can count on at least 2 or 3 snow or ice storms each year. The wind seems to be blowing most of the time from a lite breeze to very high winds. Dallas is surrounded by a dozen lakes so boating is very popular.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM

37 posts, read 167,045 times
I know this thread is over a year old and the OP has definitely made her decision, but I'll throw my .02 in for anyone googling this. I've lived in both and I'm sure Houston has some pros, I just don't know what they are. It is close to the beach and has some really nice and really bad areas. I definitely prefer Dallas with less traffic and more reasonably priced nice areas. In Houston it seemed like it was either expensive and nice or cheap and ghetto or cheap and an hour from anything fun. ITA that its good to visit any city before moving there.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Lived in Dallas for nearly a decade and Inner Houston since 1995. Houston gets my vote: people tend to be more friendly and down to earth (even the very rich); there's actually more natural activities in the immediately surrounding area (you can't ocean kayak in Dallas or camp in a pine forest near natural springs); if you live in the central part of Houston traffic is actually better since the freeway system is larger and more efficient; COL is lower; serious crime is lower (FBI fact). Did I mention that people actually say "hi" and are genuine?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Lived in Dallas for nearly a decade and Inner Houston since 1995. Houston gets my vote: people tend to be more friendly and down to earth (even the very rich); there's actually more natural activities in the immediately surrounding area (you can't ocean kayak in Dallas or camp in a pine forest near natural springs); if you live in the central part of Houston traffic is actually better since the freeway system is larger and more efficient; COL is lower; serious crime is lower (FBI fact). Did I mention that people actually say "hi" and are genuine?
I thought you said you lived in Denton for 8 years?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM

17 posts, read 46,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
source?

Another prime example of D/FW's sprawl. Why drive all over the place when you can do all of your shopping in one place, Houston Galleria, the fourth largest mall in America. There are also plenty of higher end malls in the Houston area to go shopping...Woodlands, First Colony, Memorial, etc.
It has been awhile, I did my research online before I moved to Dallas. You can do all your shopping in one area in Dallas, it just has many options. BTW all I hear people say is how spread out Houston is and how crowded their interstates are and how it takes an hour to drive across it. Dallas has higher end retail and some of the most affluent areas in the country.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
According to the last election Dallas seems to be more liberal than Houston. Obama won Dallas County quite handley and Obama won Harris county by 1 percentage point so your claim is false about Dallas being more conservative than Houston.
Yeah, but Harris County has a bunch of Houston's suburbs in it. Dallas County does not. It'd be like adding in Collin County to Dallas County and looking at the presidential results then. Not to mention Harris County had four million people versus the two+ in Dallas County.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yeah, but Harris County has a bunch of Houston's suburbs in it. Dallas County does not. It'd be like adding in Collin County to Dallas County and looking at the presidential results then. Not to mention Harris County had four million people versus the two+ in Dallas County.
Scarface, we already went through this. I looked up the numbers and of those that voted for McCain or Obama:

1) 54.1% of Metro Houston voted McCain and 45.9% voted for Obama
2) 54.3% of the Dallas/Fort Worth area voted for McCain and 45.7% voted for Obama.

Bottom line is that there is virtually no political differences between DFW and Metro Houston. To say so is a huge exaggeration. The reference to adding Collin county is an attempt to make Dallas look more conservative, adding Tarrant would have been more plausible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas