Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM

19 posts, read 71,231 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Need some advice! How are the Denton schools? Also, how is the commute from Denton to Dallas and the Fort Worth area?

We are moving to the Dallas area from the midwest, and have been basically told to move anywhere around the Dallas area. My husband seen a very nice house in Denton so we are curious.
Thanks!
Therese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:24 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
That's not going to be a pleasant daily commute if done during regular traffic times.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
you need to check the work location on Google maps to where that house address is and add about 15 min probably, maybe 20
Denton ISD is not a bad district--variety of ratings amoung its schools--but there are districts in Dallas/Tarrant county that are better...
most people would not choose to live in Denton and work in Dallas unless there was secondary set of needs--like someone was completing degree at UNT in Denton or TWU and also had small children so it made more sense to live closer to the school for day care convenience and to be close to kids if there was emergency...
or family in immediate area or someone worked from home and went into Dallas only once a week or so...and you wanted larger lot, more rural living area

and frankly the people who told you to "move anywhere" around the Dallas area were either not very knowledgeable themselves or having fun at your expense...
cost, commute, schools---those are the three significant factors that most people use when considering where they will live
(I could not think of a C word for schools, bummer...)

Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
A Denton to Dallas commute would be hell on earth. Some people do it, but I cannot imagine why.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,389 times
Schools in Denton are fine. However a commute daily to Dallas or Ft. Worth would be miserable. I commuted to Ft. Worth for a year for work and it was usually 45 min to an hour to get downtown to the hospital district during normal rush hour traffic. ALso had to do a commute from Denton to some medical clinics in South Arlington for a year and that also was a major pain; about 75 min each way. I avoided a daily commute to Dallas but when I had occasion to do it on a weekday, the rush hour traffic is awful. Mid-day though, I could get from Denton to Dallas in about 35 minutes.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:11 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife04 View Post
Hello!

Need some advice! How are the Denton schools? Also, how is the commute from Denton to Dallas and the Fort Worth area?

We are moving to the Dallas area from the midwest, and have been basically told to move anywhere around the Dallas area. My husband seen a very nice house in Denton so we are curious.
Thanks!
Therese
Denton schools are good and it is a very nice area. But definitely looking at 45 minutes(only up to about 7:00am) to an hour(7-9am). Fort Worth is going to be a little shorter, probably around 45 minutes.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:31 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
In the late 1980s I lived in Denton and worked near SMU in Dallas and the driving back and forth was hideous.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
In the late 1980s I lived in Denton and worked near SMU in Dallas and the driving back and forth was hideous.
AND the Metroplex is twice as large now. AND the northern suburbs are ten times as cluttered--there wasn't anything north of Lewisville Lake in the 1980s until you got to Denton, whereas towns like Little Elm and Corinth have begun to explode now.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 PM

19 posts, read 71,231 times
That answers my question! Thank you!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Denton has everything any family could want, decent shopping, low crime, good schools (not great) but certainly above average, it is a family area as well as a college town, there are lots of dining choices and the weather is a little cooler than in Dallas proper. It is a million times better than many cities surrounding Dallas, but and this is the biggy:::::: the commute, depending on where your husband will be working could be a *****. The interstate is somewhat improved in the past 10 years but still it can be a total disaster as there is really only one way to get across the lake and to Dallas. Well, there are a few options, but they would be even worse.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas