Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I'm ecstatic. It could only be better if there was snow on the ground.
So, have you been outside enjoying the cold? If so, what have you been doing outside? What would you do differently if there was snow on the ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
I haven't been outside much because of the rain clouds. I do intend to do some bike riding when it's clear (like today) and maybe go to the park this weekend.

The last two years when it has snowed, I've taken the dogs to parks (while I was living in Longview) and played in it and walked around by myself taking pictures. I spent more time outside than inside. And a few years ago, I made a car trip to South Dakota / Minnesota on New Year's weekend to see lots of snow and I was outside playing in it at the hotel one night while it was -2 F. I have a picture of that in fact. Don't think that I'm someone who just wants it to snow so I can look out the window at it.
Attached Thumbnails
It's HOT! It's COLD! It's WINDY! It's DRY! It's WET! It's OUR Weather!-100_3141.jpg  

Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I haven't been outside much because of the rain clouds. I do intend to do some bike riding when it's clear (like today) and maybe go to the park this weekend.

The last two years when it has snowed, I've taken the dogs to parks (while I was living in Longview) and played in it and walked around by myself taking pictures. I spent more time outside than inside. And a few years ago, I made a car trip to South Dakota / Minnesota on New Year's weekend to see lots of snow and I was outside playing in it at the hotel one night while it was -2 F. I have a picture of that in fact. Don't think that I'm someone who just wants it to snow so I can look out the window at it.
Something tells me that everyone (including you) who claim they love the cold and snow so much do not spend hardly any time outside actually in the cold and snow. I'm curious - how long do your dog walks in the snow last? And what does an adult do when they 'play' in the snow? And just how long does this adult 'play' last before you seek warmth?

Is this a picture of you 'playing'? Where are all the other cold and snow lovers joining you in this 'play'? It looks like a lot of fun!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Something tells me that everyone (including you) who claim they love the cold and snow so much do not spend hardly any time outside actually in the cold and snow. I'm curious - how long do your dog walks in the snow last? And what does an adult do when they 'play' in the snow? And just how long does this adult 'play' last before you seek warmth?
I never timed it but I'd guess I went out with them for about an hour at a time. Yes, I do need to go inside and warm up from time to time, but I still spend more time outside than in the spring and fall when there's nothing compelling me to go outside and even more so than the summer when it's just miserable.

As for what I do when I play in the snow, I already mentioned walking through the park taking pictures and playing with the dogs including throwing snow at them. Also, on my trip to the north, I walked on top of a frozen river and did some light snowboarding. It may not be playing in the sense of what little kids do, but just being in the snow when it so seldom snows here is a joy.

Quote:
Is this a picture of you 'playing'? Where are all the other cold and snow lovers joining you in this 'play'? It looks like a lot of fun!
Well one, I never said that everyone likes the cold, only that I do. Two, if you're referring to the other people in this thread, this is a Texas thread so most of them were probably in Texas at the time, not in Sioux City, IA. Three, as you can see in the picture, it was a hotel parking lot. Not a lot of people go there to play in the snow. Four, I imagine Sioux City gets a lot of snow, so they don't have to run out and enjoy it to its fullest before it melts in a couple of days and they have to wait several years for it to happen again.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I never timed it but I'd guess I went out with them for about an hour at a time. Yes, I do need to go inside and warm up from time to time, but I still spend more time outside than in the spring and fall when there's nothing compelling me to go outside and even more so than the summer when it's just miserable.

As for what I do when I play in the snow, I already mentioned walking through the park taking pictures and playing with the dogs including throwing snow at them. Also, on my trip to the north, I walked on top of a frozen river and did some light snowboarding. It may not be playing in the sense of what little kids do, but just being in the snow when it so seldom snows here is a joy.

Well one, I never said that everyone likes the cold, only that I do. Two, if you're referring to the other people in this thread, this is a Texas thread so most of them were probably in Texas at the time, not in Sioux City, IA. Three, as you can see in the picture, it was a hotel parking lot. Not a lot of people go there to play in the snow. Four, I imagine Sioux City gets a lot of snow, so they don't have to run out and enjoy it to its fullest before it melts in a couple of days and they have to wait several years for it to happen again.
It always makes perfect sense when someone says they enjoy the drab, gray, short, cold days of late fall and winter over the sunny, warm, blue skies, green growth, colorful and flowery, full-of-life days of spring and summer.

Do you keep the temperature turned way down and close all your blinds, shades and drapes so it is dark, cold and wintry feeling in the house? http://plurkfiends.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/92b595a573d25dd5e39a57b5d56d4d03.gif (broken link)

Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
Today was absolutely WONDERFUL outside! Frolicking around our fair city without a drop of sweat to show for it...simply sublime! I know, highcotton, knows what i'm talking about! Can I get a WHAT WHAT from ya

Old 12-07-2011, 03:39 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
I enjoyed today too. That cold breath of air you gulp at the end of your morning run just rejuvenates me like nothing else.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
Today was absolutely WONDERFUL outside! Frolicking around our fair city without a drop of sweat to show for it...simply sublime! I know, highcotton, knows what i'm talking about! Can I get a WHAT WHAT from ya
Oh yes, how wonderful it was frolicking around our fair city in the sub-freezing cold, all bundled up like a Antarctica surveyor. It was deliciously sublime indeed - as heavenly as taking an old-fashioned bubble bath scented with gentle Lilac in freezing water.

How does an adult 'frolick' anyway?http://plurkfiends.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/92b595a573d25dd5e39a57b5d56d4d03.gif (broken link)

Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Oh yes, how wonderful it was frolicking around our fair city in the sub-freezing cold, all bundled up like a Antarctica surveyor. It was deliciously sublime indeed - as heavenly as taking an old-fashioned bubble bath scented with gentle Lilac in freezing water.

How does an adult 'frolick' anyway?
It's easy to frolick, highcotton. All ya gotta do is shed that debbie-downer, melancholy attitude that folks who love the heat sometimes develop and let your hair down and enjoy life! Glad you had a swell wintry day! That bubble bath sounds wondermus!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
It's easy to frolick, highcotton. All ya gotta do is shed that debbie-downer, melancholy attitude that folks who love the heat sometimes develop and let your hair down and enjoy life! Glad you had a swell wintry day! That bubble bath sounds wondermus!
I'm a little dubious of the frolicking stuff. Are you sure the cold weather hasn't frozen your grey matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas