Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 AM

159 posts, read 393,656 times

Advertisements

Any opinions or experieicnes (good or bad) with the builder "Grand Homes" would be appreicated.

Looking at developments in Allen, Frisco and Keller.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,260,214 times
There are many many threads discussing Grand Homes. You may want to do a search and read all about it.

Naima

Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,434,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinnj07 View Post
Any opinions or experieicnes (good or bad) with the builder "Grand Homes" would be appreicated.

Looking at developments in Allen, Frisco and Keller.

Thanks
I have heard both good and bad things about them. I actually know many people who live in homes built by Grand Homes, and they have never had any problems and love their homes. Most of the houses built by Grand Homes are large and very nice looking. They were chosen as the 2009 Builder of the Year, so they cannot be too bad.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:36 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,928,674 times
Default Re:

I know a couple who built with Grand Homes. The place burned down during finish-out, due to paint and stain fumes being ignited by a spark.

Well, Grand did NOTHING to help this couple, who had sold their current home in anticipation of moving into their new home in a few weeks. Worse, they tore the house down to the foundation, then began BUILDING ON THAT SAME FOUNDATION! The couple had to get both a lawyer and the city building inspector involved before Grand Homes conceded that the electrical and PVC plumbing might "possibly" have been damaged during the fire, and agreed, "as a goodwill gesture", to scrape the foundation and re-pour.

You hear people talk about their Darling home, or David Weekley home, or Toll Brothers home, even their Drees or Standard Pacific home. You don't hear folks bragging on their Grand home. Wonder why?

As for the "2009 Builder of the Year" award, aren't there still 6 months left in 2009? And what was the selection process for this phony "award"?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,419,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
As for the "2009 Builder of the Year" award, aren't there still 6 months left in 2009? And what was the selection process for this phony "award"?
The award was presented to them by the Greater Dallas Home Builders Association. According to Grands site they received the McSam award About Us | Grand Homes, New Home Builder in Dallas and Ft. Worth, Texas. The Associations site describing what this is can be found at Home Builders Association of Greater Dallas: McSAM Awards (http://www2.dallasbuilders.com/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=301 - broken link). As I read it the award is for excellence in "Sales and Marketing".

Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
They always rank at the very bottom of customer surveys and deserve that spot. There are 3 builders I recommend my clients avoid and they usually rank at the top of that list.

I've seen many of their homes that have structural problems after a few years.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,219 times
Many realtors refuse to take their clients to see Grand Homes......not a company you want to deal with.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,433 times
Watch out for Artisan Lifestyle Homes also, Scott Sherman CEO. We purchased our home in Oct 08 and it took us two months just to get the fireplaces to work (gas fireplaces). I still don't have an outside bbq or refrigerator that was promised and here it is almost 10 months later. He still owes me $6500 in back property taxes because his "buddyand Lawyer" is also his title company (tell me that ain't a conflict of interest) and completely screwed up the property taxes, which I was left paying a 10k dollar property tax bill. I have had to hire a lawyer and am currently sueing him. Its a shame that you buy a 500k home and everyone is out too scam you. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY!!!!

Last edited by Cabotestateshomeowner2; 07-31-2009 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 41,471 times
My realtor would not even show me grand homes!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:54 PM

24 posts, read 111,432 times
Upside: A lot of flash, dash and floor space for less than competition in that size home.
Downside: I am in a community than has only Grand and Darling. I am not in a Grand. I have yet to meet a Grand neighbor who has good things to say. Difficuties getting things resolved in construction. Difficulties getting warranty issues satisfactorily resolved post-construction. Finish-out not comparable to other builders in that category of home.Old adage applies. You get what you pay for. Thrilled with Darling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: