Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 17,316 times

Advertisements

Hi every one,

I am a medical professional from the Middle East who lived in Ireland for long time and moving to Dallas soon. I am very nervous about this move. Especially in the world of after 9/11 for people like me how’s only fault their skin colour or having a different religion.
I would like to ask about the culture in Dallas and racism? ( I know that TX is conservative how bad for people like me could be?)
I will work in the downtown, so what are the best areas with good facilities to live in?
I heard that the crime rate is high in Dallas, is it true?( it’s very safe in Ireland)

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 02:22 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
I'm not a Middle Eastern, so I don't know from experience, but I haven't seen or heard of any cultural or ethnic attacks against people from the Middle East. There are several Mosques in the area so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a community for support. The city of Dallas does have an issue with crime, but they are working very hard on the problem. And to be honest the crime in Dallas isn't out of proportion from other major US cities of it's size. Much of the crime can be avoided by staying out of the worst areas, especially at night. There are a number of areas that might fit the bill for housing, but much of that depends on your price range, and how far or long you are willing to commute.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:36 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
It's a pretty big city here with expansive suburbs, so I doubt you'd get noticed. If you were moving to a small town, I'd be more concerned. Downtown Dallas does have some high crime areas (as do most cities) but it also has some desirable upscale areas as well that seem to isolate themselves from the nieghboring crime. Once you move away from the cities, it's mostly suburbs. I'd guess that the suburbs here are probably some of the safest in the US. Again, all kinds of people here.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Downtown has very little if any crime - especially when you take into account 150,000 workers. Most crime in Dallas is in the southern regions.

I'm wondering where a medical professional would work downtown. The closest hospitals to downtown are Baylor in East Dallas,

Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
I refer to southern Dallas as downtown as well.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 PM

147 posts, read 241,114 times
Default Dallas' Tech Industry

The semiconductor chip, the hand held calculator, and the ATM were invented here in the Dallas suburbs. Many people have come here from other countries to work in the tech jobs that these inventions have driven.

Richardson and Plano have a good percentage of population of people from other countries, so you will be one of many.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:39 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Downtown has very little if any crime - especially when you take into account 150,000 workers. Most crime in Dallas is in the southern regions.

I'm wondering where a medical professional would work downtown. The closest hospitals to downtown are Baylor in East Dallas,
I'd consider UT Southwestern, Scottish Rite and Children's as downtown. At least from the outsider's perspective.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,582 times
If I understood the original post the poster was concerned about treatment of Middle East individuals. I think personally that overall racism is not as prevalent in the Dallas metroplex in general. Yes, there are problems from time to time but not like you see in other places or you hear in the news nationally.

I think because Dallas is comprised of different cultures it makes Dallas unique. I'm not saying there aren't problems between the many races out there, I'm just saying that I personally feel safe in the metroplex and I'm not so sure I would in other metropolitan areas.

The Irving area near Hackberry, LaVillita, Valley Ranch, and Cottonwood area have many Middle Easterners if you are looking for some areas to live as well as the North Carrollton area. I

Last edited by sonshinelife; 06-01-2007 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: revising

Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Arlington also has a lot of middle-eastern people.

Baylor University Medical Center, just east of downtown Dallas, is about the best hospital in Dallas!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Like others have said Dallas is a very diverse place. We have Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, you name it. We have immigrants from Mexico, South America, Africa, Europe, The Middle East, India. Richardson is probably one of the most diverse cities in the metroplex, especially for its size. Dallas Central Mosque is located in Richardson I believe its on Buckingham and Audelia. One of my favorite things about the Dallas area is that we have so many different people living side by side peacefully.

There is a small pocket of middle eastern businesses around the mosque, and a Halaal Meat Market in Richardson as well. There are a handfull of Middle Eastern and Medditeranan Restaurants as well. Brighter Horizons Academy is located in Garland on Beltline and Shiloh. I think they only have elementary and middle school level classes but I could be wrong.

Dallas proper does have a high overall crime rate, for a couple years in a row the highest in the nation sadly. However, the violent crime rate is not the highest in the nation. It all really depends on the area. Crime can and does happen anywhere, but yes the 'burbs tend to be safer.

Several new high rise condo buildings have gone up near downtown. The plus side of those being a very short commute to work. The down side being the price and lack of a yard. The metroplex is well planned, and there are quite a few highways making access to downtown fairly easy. Traffic is probably going to be much different then in Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas