Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,751 times

Advertisements

It looks like I will be taking a job in Miamisburg, OH and I don't know the area at all. I'm a woman in my 30's, relocating from suburbia in California because of the high cost of living, and the apartment complex reviews that I've been reading online for places in this area are turning my hair white! Everyone complains about tons of crime, violence, dirty places, drugs, broken things that maintenance doesn't fix for weeks. In almost all of the reviews I read people saying "there are better/cleaner/more safe complexes to choose instead"... but they never name names. Can I get some suggestions?

My budget is about $800-$850 for 2 bed/1 bath apartment. I would like to not commute very far because as a southern California native I'm not used to driving in snow or heavy rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM

225 posts, read 462,558 times
What part of Miamisburg are you working in? I have friends who live here and like it.

Normandy Club Apartments | Home

Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,243,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover101 View Post

My budget is about $800-$850 for 2 bed/1 bath apartment. I would like to not commute very far because as a southern California native I'm not used to driving in snow or heavy rain.
Just live in Miamisburg. It's so small there really is no commute.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,751 times
I think you're right and I should just try to stick to Miamisburg. So if I just live there, can you suggest some safe, clean, and well maintained apartment complexes? Unfortunately, I have yet to find a single one listed online that didn't also have several scary negative reviews as described in my original post.

Oh, I should probably mention that I am also looking for a complex with garages or consistently available covered parking. That Normandy Club Apartments link looks pretty nice but reviews online say there can be a big problem finding parking daily. I'm nervous about walking far from my car to the apartment when coming back late in the evening. And I'm not a OH native and I'm worried about having to de-snow or de-ice my car before work every morning.

Thanks everyone!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
At that price you could rent a house in M'burg. Find one with a garage.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I would like to not commute very far because as a southern California native I'm not used to driving in snow or heavy rain.
...a southern California native that has never been to Ohio.

Oh. My. God.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 AM

Seriously...here's a tip: avoid properties owned or managed by Conner and Murphy as they have a bad rep about being slow to repair things and also sort of rip people off in various ways.

My complex was briefly owned by them and I can attest to the non-responsive maintenance. Fortunatly they sold the complex to some Cincinnati investors, and management/responsivness improved.

I've seen some complexes around with carports/garages, but you will pay extra for that amenity (from what I recall). The concentration of better apartments are off of Springboro Pike, (east of Springboro Pike) and south of I-675. You want to stay east of I-675 when looking for places. There are also some complexes north of SR 725/Dayton Mall, off of Mad River Road (just behind Mad River). Use google maps or google earth to surf around this area.

Places to avoid are apartments along Alex Road, south of SR 725 and west of I-675.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM

Normandy Club?

I looked up that site, and that is very close to where I live. In fact I walk or ride my bike past there all the time (sometimes through the complex). There are problems there? News to me. That is one of the nicer complexes in the area, and one of the newest.

Not sure what the parking problems are since every unit has a garage, from what I can tell. Maybe if you have two or three cars, sure...

Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM

28 posts, read 58,847 times
Oh man, agreed with above avoid Connor group AT ALL COSTS! Actually, google them, they have a list of every apartment complex they own on their website.

i lived in Hidden Lakes Apartments (Miamisburg zip code and address, techinally in Miami Township)for two years before heading over into alittle bit more of suburbiaLand. Hidden lakes is nice, they have their own community events, close to alot of nightlife. In the entire two years I was living there I saw one "bad thing happen" and that was two shirtless guys fighting in the middle of the street over some girl. Hardly what i'd call bad.

that is gonna be a serious adjustment. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,861 times
Hi mover101--

It might be a bit on the high end of prices, but check out Austin Springs at the corner of Austin Pike and 741. With the Kroger's opening and offices going up it's going to be in a central location for more development plus the Dayton Mall and I-75 is only a couple minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton