U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2015, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Five Oaks
430 posts, read 448,920 times
Reputation: 323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Notice the difference in the mayor's comments/tone and everyone else's.

Dayton Arcade redevelopment | www.mydaytondailynews.com
Good catch, RDriesenUD! She does sound very disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2015, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Beavercreek, OH
2,194 posts, read 3,022,302 times
Reputation: 2334
It's behind the paywall, can someone requote the Whale for the benefit of the board?

I must be the only person who doesn't like this report - because the next thing you know, the county will be asking for a levy to restore the Arcade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 03:08 PM
 
3,515 posts, read 3,796,822 times
Reputation: 1813
Basically she said this news doesn't mean they will "have to leave it standing". In other words Whaley wants to throw Rauch another bone.

Let's make that levy happen

Last edited by SWOH; 06-04-2015 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Five Oaks
430 posts, read 448,920 times
Reputation: 323
Don't call her 'the Whale'. It's fine if you don't like her, but her appearance is irrelevant. Very disappointed to hear that coming from you two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 03:37 PM
 
3,515 posts, read 3,796,822 times
Reputation: 1813
Actually wasn't thinking of it in that regard... My bad!

I can still edit my last statement so I will take it out.

Either way no matter how she looks I am very disappointed in her comments. The arcade is a showplace in our community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Five Oaks
430 posts, read 448,920 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Actually wasn't thinking of it in that regard... My bad!

I can still edit my last statement so I will take it out.

Either way no matter how she looks I am very disappointed in her comments. The arcade is a showplace in our community.
It's ok. It's just so juvenile and whiny when people do that--not to mention a tad misogynistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Beavercreek, OH
2,194 posts, read 3,022,302 times
Reputation: 2334
I have zero respect for Nan or the entire Montgomery County Democratic Party apparatus. During her tenure in office we've heard nothing productive from the Mayor's office. A retreat in Sharonville, a task force on the Arcade, a couple tax hikes on income and property for Dayton residents, and a few more businesses setting shop at Austin Landing are her legacy so far.

We have been shown time and again that they are managing a sinking ship and fighting for a continually shrinking pie. As SWOH correctly says, it's probably only a matter of time before Nan sends Steve Rauch another bone... perhaps in exchange for another $10,000 donation to her reelection campaign.

Just like he did back when he tore down the wrong building on Ludlow Street and his penalty was a $500 civil fine. Steve Rauch's money has been sent to other local candidates like Rhine McLin (a terrible legacy for the city) and Clayton Luckie (who's in jail on embezzlement charges).

There's still a good chance that the building will get torn down, but if it doesn't and they decide to save it?

The same clowns - perhaps Aaron Sorrell or Sandy Gudorf of the DDP (who actually lives in Englewood) - will get on stage, claim that we need to save it... and on the votes of Dayton and the inner suburbs who pay little property tax because the properties are almost worthless, they'll pass a tax levy that soaks Centerville and Washington Township with a building the outside-of-675 residents will never use. Meanwhile the restoration contract will get passed to a political beneficiary of Nan, it will get bungled somehow or go way over budget...

The Arcade has been vacant since I was in diapers. It's time to admit that nobody is willing to occupy the building, primarily because of the cost of ongoing maintenance.

***

While I generally love being in the Dayton region and have loved most of the people I've had the fortune of meeting here... I can't wait for the day that I move out of Montgomery County so I don't have to deal with this Democratic Party BS anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Five Oaks
430 posts, read 448,920 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I have zero respect for Nan or the entire Montgomery County Democratic Party apparatus. During her tenure in office we've heard nothing productive from the Mayor's office. A retreat in Sharonville, a task force on the Arcade, a couple tax hikes on income and property for Dayton residents, and a few more businesses setting shop at Austin Landing are her legacy so far.

We have been shown time and again that they are managing a sinking ship and fighting for a continually shrinking pie. As SWOH correctly says, it's probably only a matter of time before Nan sends Steve Rauch another bone... perhaps in exchange for another $10,000 donation to her reelection campaign.

Just like he did back when he tore down the wrong building on Ludlow Street and his penalty was a $500 civil fine. Steve Rauch's money has been sent to other local candidates like Rhine McLin (a terrible legacy for the city) and Clayton Luckie (who's in jail on embezzlement charges).

There's still a good chance that the building will get torn down, but if it doesn't and they decide to save it?

The same clowns - perhaps Aaron Sorrell or Sandy Gudorf of the DDP (who actually lives in Englewood) - will get on stage, claim that we need to save it... and on the votes of Dayton and the inner suburbs who pay little property tax because the properties are almost worthless, they'll pass a tax levy that soaks Centerville and Washington Township with a building the outside-of-675 residents will never use. Meanwhile the restoration contract will get passed to a political beneficiary of Nan, it will get bungled somehow or go way over budget...

The Arcade has been vacant since I was in diapers. It's time to admit that nobody is willing to occupy the building, primarily because of the cost of ongoing maintenance.

***

While I generally love being in the Dayton region and have loved most of the people I've had the fortune of meeting here... I can't wait for the day that I move out of Montgomery County so I don't have to deal with this Democratic Party BS anymore.

Yeah, that's great for you and all, but what gives you the right to demean someone else's appearance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Covington, KY
1,879 posts, read 2,128,672 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Not picking sides here, but he/she has the right to say whatever he/she wants. You don't have to agree with it. I know Democrats don't like that (I have no clue what you are), but that is the right we have. We don't have to be PC if we don't want too. This world is becoming WAY to PC and WAY!!!!!!!!!! too sensitive.
You got a rep from me on that. Hensleya1 is bright enough to be a lawyer (and is male by the way), but like a lot of other people _I_ _think_ is reducing everything to politics and taxes. In Dayton proper (you have to live there to sense it) the "feeling in the air" is "Democratic." It couldn't possible sit well with anyone rooted in something that would come up with the likes of Rand Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2015, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Five Oaks
430 posts, read 448,920 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Not picking sides here, but he/she has the right to say whatever he/she wants. You don't have to agree with it. I know Democrats don't like that (I have no clue what you are), but that is the right we have. We don't have to be PC if we don't want too. This world is becoming WAY to PC and WAY!!!!!!!!!! too sensitive.
Of course he has the right to say it; that doesn't mean he is magically free of criticism. Instead of a thoughtful response, he decided to go with petty name-calling, which just hurt his cause. I don't like her either, but her appearance isn't relevant to the discussion at all. It's called basic human respect. It's disappointing that you would consider that to be adult behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top