Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM

421 posts, read 834,348 times

Advertisements

I live in PA but work in DE and while a lot of people hate the state chain of wine/spirits stores in PA, I hate the Delaware system even more! It seems to me that state stores are the "lesser evil" compared to a private system that forbids grocery stores, drugstores, convenience stores, etc from selling any alcohol. Most liquor stores in DE are shady, but I'm glad the DE laws have produced Total Wine, Branmar Liquors, and some fancier stores like the one in Greenville that I forget the name of. Also, it's great that the BJ's in New Castle has a liquor room. Do any of you DE people actually like the PA stores better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
I can't think of a single reason someone would rather go to a PA liquor store than Total Wine. Total Wine is simply better (and cheaper) in every way.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,507 times
I don't understand the problem. I've lived here six months now and have purchased at three different Delaware liquor stores. I walk in, make my selections from a very wide variety of items, pay the tab and leave. The people who work at the liquor stores have been helpful and courteous. The prices are good, the stores are clean and the each experience has been 100% hassle free. Where's the problem?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
While I would prefer to have beer and wine sold in supermarkets, it seems to me that the Delaware system is demonstrably superior to that of PA, based on the fact that many southeastern PA residents drive to DE to stock up on beer, wine and spirits. I don't see how it is that one can justify the description of most of the package stores here as "shady". I confine my own buying to a couple of stores, one of which is indeed the Wine and Spirit Company in Greenville, and occasionally I buy something at Frank's (Union St and Pennsylvania Ave), which is open on Sundays and closed on Mondays. I know people in PA who shop at the larger stores in northern DE, but those aren't particularly close to us.

If you don't like the system in Delaware, by all means confine your purchases to the state monopoly in PA.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I live in PA but work in DE and while a lot of people hate the state chain of wine/spirits stores in PA, I hate the Delaware system even more! It seems to me that state stores are the "lesser evil" compared to a private system that forbids grocery stores, drugstores, convenience stores, etc from selling any alcohol. Most liquor stores in DE are shady, but I'm glad the DE laws have produced Total Wine, Branmar Liquors, and some fancier stores like the one in Greenville that I forget the name of. Also, it's great that the BJ's in New Castle has a liquor room. Do any of you DE people actually like the PA stores better?
As you say you live in Pa..You don't really seem to be too familiar with our Liquor Stores. In my area we have what amount to liquor supermarkets with seemingly endless selections of wine and beer. Most of the stores in my area have Sunday hours.These stores are in competion and their employees know their salaries come from the customers. I do feel sorry for the older neighborhood stores which have been around for years. Most do not have the space for the hugh selections offered by the newer competition.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I don't understand the problem. I've lived here six months now and have purchased at three different Delaware liquor stores. I walk in, make my selections from a very wide variety of items, pay the tab and leave. The people who work at the liquor stores have been helpful and courteous. The prices are good, the stores are clean and the each experience has been 100% hassle free. Where's the problem?
I don't understand the problem, either.
And, as Longnecker mentioned, we have many very large liquor warehouses, or the mom-pop small liquor stores available - plenty of choices, open most of the time. Back in the old days.....(here we go again)...... liquor stores were closed on Sunday. Now, most are open, at least, some Sunday hours. Not a priority for me, but this society is demanding instant access to everything - 24/7.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I live in PA but work in DE and while a lot of people hate the state chain of wine/spirits stores in PA, I hate the Delaware system even more! It seems to me that state stores are the "lesser evil" compared to a private system that forbids grocery stores, drugstores, convenience stores, etc from selling any alcohol.
I'll join the chorus of those who prefer the liquor stores in Delaware. DE offers greater selection and lower prices and at least where I shop, generally cleaner and friendlier venues. And I don't see the relevance of the comment that one cannot buy liquor in DE in grocery stores, drug stores, etc. The same goes for PA. You are the first person I have encountered who claims to prefer the PA system. The good news is that no one forces you to purchase in DE and you are free to keep your business locally in PA.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 16,634 times
You could have knocked me over with a feather after I read the original post. I grew up in PA, lived half my life in New Hampshire and now live in DE. Out of the 3 I would say hands down that PA is the most annoying place I've ever tried to purchase alcohol. NH is great because you can walk into any grocery store or convenience store and buy beer or wine. How good a selection you'll get however varies from store to store so it's not always all that great if you're picky like me. I find DE to be only slightly less convenient with pretty good selections regardless of where I go however Atlantic Liquors kicks just about everyone else's you now what. When my husband, who is from New England, first visited PA with me and we went out to try to find a decent beer he couldn't get over what a pain it was, he was flabbergasted.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,189 times
For someone who just "stumbled" across this thread..

What's the difference between state and otherwise owned stores..?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,507 times
I just noticed that the OP has gone around City-Data from state to state complaining about the liquor laws in various states. I think the only thing that will make him happy is moving to Napa Valley, buying a vineyard and growing his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware