Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:50 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times

Advertisements

So, do you pick the Atlantic Sands Hotel over the Boardwalk Plaza just because of price. Or is it JUST price?

I ask because the Sands decor looks 'older' or more dated -- maybe it's not and it's just the style of the decor.
The Plaza looks more 'polished?' Or maybe the pictures just look better.

As far as you know are there any amenities that are different? Do they both have concierges?
You mentioned the Atlantic Sands has a restaurant, but the plaza does, too, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
So, do you pick the Atlantic Sands Hotel over the Boardwalk Plaza just because of price. Or is it JUST price?

I ask because the Sands decor looks 'older' or more dated -- maybe it's not and it's just the style of the decor.
The Plaza looks more 'polished?' Or maybe the pictures just look better.

As far as you know are there any amenities that are different? Do they both have concierges?
You mentioned the Atlantic Sands has a restaurant, but the plaza does, too, right?
We pick Atlantic Sands because we've stayed there many times each winter, and for many years. It's not the price, because the room we book is top-of-the-line. We haven't even checked the prices for Boardwalk Plaza, as we tend to stay where we've experienced excellent service, and know that there are no bed bugs, which is always a concern for us. Coupled with that, we attend conventions a couple times per year at Atlantic Sands, related to our business. Perhaps, familiarity plays a big part for us, too. The staff recognizes us as repeat customers, and treat us well.

You are right. Atlantic Sands has been there awhile, and not comparable to a newer "polished" Boardwalk Plaza. I've never stayed at Boardwalk Plaza, so I can't compare their rooms with Atlantic Sands, but I'm sure their rooms are very nice. We have, however, dined at Victoria's Restaurant in Boardwalk Plaza, many times over the years. We think it's wonderful! Reviews are great for both hotels. It just depends on what you're looking for. We've lived here forever, so my opinions, wants, or needs, may not be what yours are, or will be.

I'd suggest, for a one-time trip, and if you're looking for "posh" go with Boardwalk Plaza, if "dated" is an issue for you.

Enjoy your stay!

Last edited by rdlr; 01-12-2015 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 09:57 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
Atlantic View motel in Dewey Beach gets great ratings, and it's ocean front. By the end of April, Dewey will be rousing from its winter slumber, but you'd want to head to Rehoboth for shopping and dining. Except you definitely should have Sunday Brunch at The Starboard in Dewey.

There's a condo building at One Virginia Ave in Rehoboth -- a fabulous location on the Boardwalk. Many of the units are for rent, but I don't know if you can rent for less than a week. Rates for Rehoboth Beach Condominium, Delaware, Oceanfront, Vacation Rental Accommodations | One Virginia Avenue Condominium

>> The pottery place, I am sorry to say closed earlier this year. The owner said the rents were making it impossible to stay. <<

Nuts2u, I am SO sorry to hear this. I took a class at RAL with the owner, and spent several painting sessions in her studio. She is an incredibly nice person and worked so darned hard! I feel very bad for her; I hope she lands on her feet elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Except you definitely should have Sunday Brunch at The Starboard in Dewey.
OK I'll pitch it as an idea.

How about The crystal Restaurant or Nage? in Rehoboth?
We'll be eating every meal out. So that's Friday dinner, Sat lunch, Sat. dinner, Sun lunch. (We sleep through breakfast)

Any recommendations on true gourmet ice cream or chocolate?
I always look for the BEST gourmet ice cream and chocolate. Not Lindt or Godiva, more like Teuscher's, Vosges, La Maison de Chocolat, Petrossian and Jacques Torres in Manhattan, NYC. True chocolatiers.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 AM

The Crystal is a diner. Has its advocates. A better diner, we think, is Sunrise at Clayton St. & Route 1 in Dewey Beach. Great food and service.

The reason I recommended Starboard is their Bloody Mary Bar. A whole room devoted to add-ons to the vodka and ice cubes they bring you to start off. (And the food is pretty good, too -- their Eggs Delmarva substitutes crab for the Canadian bacon in Eggs Benedict.)

But if you're not Bloody Mary fans, there are lots of other great Sunday Brunches, including Nage (which is excellent and worlds removed from Crystal; Nage has perhaps the best sticky bun I've ever eaten) and yes, Victoria's at Boardwalk Plaza.

Rehoboth Beach Ice Cream Home -- some Really Interesting Flavors!

Do you know about The Rehoboth Foodie | Rehoboth DE Restaurant Reviews | DE Restaurant Reviews ? Worth spending some time browsing. He also does a weekly radio interview show on Saturday afternoons, available as a podcast: Delaware 105.9, Lewes, DE - News Talk

Not sure if Food Tours of Rehoboth Beach will be in operation by the time you're in town, but it's a great intro to several really good eateries in the area.

There is a cooking class at Big Fish Grill that weekend: https://bigfishgrill.com/classes-a-events.html. More like a "behind the scenes" tour, with demos, at one of the most successful restaurants at the beach. We've done it twice, had different foods every time, came away STUFFED! They share lots of great recipes in the take-home package.

Great lunch: Touch of Italy, next to Nage, out on Route 1. Fabulous sandwiches and then there's a huge variety of cheeses and salumi to take back to the room for those cocktail hours before dinner. Touch of Italy is right next to a big outlet liquor store, but we think Atlantic Liquors, at Route 1 and Old Landing Road, is better. For wine selection and advice, Bin 66 on Route 1 between Rehoboth and Lewes is great.

Happy to recommend more dinner places. What do you like/dislike?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Atlantic View motel in Dewey Beach gets great ratings, and it's ocean front. By the end of April, Dewey will be rousing from its winter slumber, but you'd want to head to Rehoboth for shopping and dining. Except you definitely should have Sunday Brunch at The Starboard in Dewey.

There's a condo building at One Virginia Ave in Rehoboth -- a fabulous location on the Boardwalk. Many of the units are for rent, but I don't know if you can rent for less than a week. Rates for Rehoboth Beach Condominium, Delaware, Oceanfront, Vacation Rental Accommodations | One Virginia Avenue Condominium

>> The pottery place, I am sorry to say closed earlier this year. The owner said the rents were making it impossible to stay. <<

Nuts2u, I am SO sorry to hear this. I took a class at RAL with the owner, and spent several painting sessions in her studio. She is an incredibly nice person and worked so darned hard! I feel very bad for her; I hope she lands on her feet elsewhere.

I am always amazed at the greed of landlords. So the building will now sit vacant until a new tenant comes aboard. . I guess a bird in the hand isn't worth what it used to be.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM

We eat wherever and whenever!

I'll pitch the cooking class as something to do, and check out the ice cream and chocolate suggestions. And the foodie list, too. Thanks! Coming from MD of course I have to google: crabcakes rehoboth ETA: I just did a a few places came up!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am always amazed at the greed of landlords. So the building will now sit vacant until a new tenant comes aboard. . I guess a bird in the hand isn't worth what it used to be.
I went to the Creatable Crafts website just now, and this is what's posted:

ANNOUNCEMENT:

It is with great sadness that we report the passing of Elona Shaffert.

She passed away peacefully in her sleep on March 18, 2013.

We will post additional information for a "Remembrance" here in Rehoboth Beach through the Cape Gazette in the following months.

Creatable Crafts is closed.

So it's possible that there was an issue with the rent, and maybe that caused stress leading to Elona's death. But it really sounds like the studio is closed because she died, not because she couldn't afford a rent increase.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:51 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
[quote=Pocopsonite;38009951]I went to the Creatable Crafts website just now, and this is what's posted:

ANNOUNCEMENT:

It is with great sadness that we report the passing of Elona Shaffert.

She passed away peacefully in her sleep on March 18, 2013.

We will post additional information for a "Remembrance" here in Rehoboth Beach through the Cape Gazette in the following months.

Creatable Crafts is closed.

So it's possible that there was an issue with the rent, and maybe that caused stress leading to Elona's death. But it really sounds like the studio is closed because she died, not because she couldn't afford a rent increase.[/QUOTE

That makes lot of sense actually, but the man who answered me didn´t mention that. I do know that a couple of other stores changed due to the rent increases. The Toy & Kite store and Scandinavian Glass store both moved due to escalating rents but essentially just crossed the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware