Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,988,880 times

Advertisements

Raven, in Spring and Autumn you really must travel the backroads of far northern Delaware and take some pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,273,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
What exactly is wrong with the road system? Have you been to states where they are crumbling? I can't see that one at all.
I lived in Wilmington twice. Unless things have changed, the problem with the roads ins't the condition, but that they are too small to handle the amount of traffic.

I can't think of 10 things I hate about northern Delaware, but there are a few I didn't like when I lived there. The main one was that the proximity to Philly was a mixed blessing. It was great to have all the amenities of a big city nearby, but that hinders Wilmington from being able to offer as much on its own. There are cites much smaller than Wilmington with their own major media, with better theatre scenes, on the major concert tours, etc. For those who like it that way - great. I'm saying this was something I didn't like.

The other thing I never liked about Northern Delaware was the attitude some folks harbor towards downstate. Yes, I grew up in Sussex County. Southern Delaware has its problems, but so does northern DE. It also has its charms, al a the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I lived in Houston for 26 years before moving back east and the Eastern Shore is well-known there as a bucolic oasis. There is no reason why Sussex and Kent couldn't be perceived in similar way, vs being Northern DE's punching boy. I've always question when folks look down on someone else, if they are harboring insecurities about themselves.

Finally, someone said northern DE is ugly. I beg to differ. Just look at the pix above. I lived in Houston, which defines ugly. Get out and look around other parts of the country, and you'll find what a treasure you have in your own backyards.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 24,679 times
jm02...lol thats funny.well how is the human race overthere? are the schools any good? well colleges?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,093,561 times
Removed deleted quote

Come over to our house when we settle in I'll make you some good Italian food and you'll be all set.

Oh and how is Italian food in Delaware????

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-02-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 21,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Well you'll soon be having 2 more we hope. Sorry about that.

make that 4.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Sadly for a place with loads of people of Italian descent - esp in New Castle Co. - most of the Italian food in DE is mediocre and unexciting IMO.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,093,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Sadly for a place with loads of people of Italian descent - esp in New Castle Co. - most of the Italian food in DE is mediocre and unexciting IMO.
not when I get there it won't be, what's your poison I can make it from homemade pasta to seafood, lobster fra diavolo, no problem, pizza, no problem, I mean real pizza nothing even close to Pizza Hut or Domino's (they have nerve calling that pizza) Bruchetta, chicken cacciatore, eggplant rollatini, fresh pasta sauce with pancetta and cream, penne alla vodka, I'm on it.

Now all I need is a job, and to sell my house in CT.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,418,716 times
Little Italy has always had decent Italian food. I can't speak for 2011 so much as I can for 1998... but it was good then. I've heard good things about Mona Lisa and Pomodoro.. and they're fairly new.

Of course, places like Attilio's and Robino's aren't trying to win culinary awards - they're just your neighborhood family pasta places.

People have always loved Madeline's (never been.)
Luigi's used to be good, but I heard it went downhill.

Vincente's, DiNardo's, Rossi's, Gerardo's, and Pala's have all closed. The neighborhood isn't as Italian as it used to be, that's for sure.

Edit: Vincente's moved to Kirkwood Highway

Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM

My nomination for best would be Ristorante Marco, which now only has a single location in Bear -- so we never make the treck there. He had a location in Greenville, which unfortunately closed after conflicts with his landlord. Pomodoro is good I guess but very lacking in soulfulness. Mrs Robino's has plenty of soul but isn't very good at all. I've been told that Mona Lisa uses a lot of canned products, rather than fresh. We've not been. The new incarnation of Toscana, now called Piccolina Toscana is pretty good but not totally traditional by any means -- more like an upscale "fusion-y" Manhattan trattoria. Pastabilities is now back in business and they are all home-cooked, handmade stuff to my understanding, but we weren't thrilled by them the one time we went shortly before the owner's long illness caused the temporary but prolonged closure of the little place. There are so many other places in greater Wilmington but we just haven't been inspired by any of them. Frankly I'd just rather eat Italian in Manhattan, London or a few things we make at home (one surpringly learnt when we lived in Lithuania!).

Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,916,802 times
My mother's family is hard-core Italian, and they prefer to dine in Little Italy if they decide to go out for a meal. Some of them still live there. They also like to claim that they can cook better meals than some of the NCC Italian restaurants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware