Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 12,093 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Hockessin from the Pacific Northwest and I would like to know the following:-
Does the electricity go off during winter storms?
Could anyone recommend a hairdresser in Hockessin who is good with cut and color?
A good vet?
Many thanks,
Kiwhy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:56 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
IME the electricity around here goes off any ol' time with little or no provocation. Winter storms? This ain't the upper midwest, you know. It snows here a bit. That doesn't constitute storms. If we have electrical storms in the spring, the electricity appears very prone to going down; anything with high winds. We have plenty of trees, which tend to fall on electric lines, sometimes seemingly spontaneously.

Someone will surely be able to recommend vets and hairdressers in Hockessin, but please remember that Hockessin is just suburban sprawl in the greater Wilmington/Northern New Castle County metro area. You shouldn't limit yourself to resources in Hockessin, and indeed that's quite impractical for most things.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:40 PM

656 posts, read 1,356,186 times
When the electric goes out its usually for a short amount of, usually less than 10minutes and I can't remember the last time it went over an hour...

I only know of one salon in Hockessin but they are good, Salon by Dominic. What state are you from by the way?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 AM

ebuch is underscoring the fact that power outages here seem to be very localised -- often covering only a few square blocks (though sometimes there are multiple such outages contemporaneously). In the past year I have had outages of longer than an hour on some occasions. At other times it's just enough to make all your digital clocks go on the blink. We really don't have the kind of weather that produces widespread, generalised or regional losses of power.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 AM

53 posts, read 322,074 times
As far as vets go, Dr McKersie has a good practice at Pike Creek Animal Hospital. Great staff and not outrageously over priced like some of the other vets in the area. I know a lot of people take their pets to Windcrest also. I have no experience with them. So I can't offer a qualified opinion.
There is the Bark Park in Carousel Park near Hockessin. It is an off leash area with a pond. It's a good place to get opinions about area vets.

...and the wife goes to Perry Anthony's. She's also been to Dominic's.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 AM

272 posts, read 786,675 times
I can recommend Windcrest. They handle small animals like hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs as well as cats and dogs.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 AM

I cannot whole-heartedly recommend Windcrest. Although they are very up-to-date, perhaps even cutting-edge, it is a large and impersonal practice. It's especially bad if you have a pet there for an acute illness, a situation that sees you shuffled from one vet to another, with little continuity> I frankly don't like one of their intensive care vets. We did have a vet there whom we love -- when she left to take over the practice at Talleyville Animal Hosp we followed her over there (Talleyville is under the same ownership but operates as a very small, rather old fashioned two-vet practice). It's unfortunate, because Windcrest is 5 mins from my house, so you must know that my partner and I don't like them very much when we choose to drive to a vet appreciably farther away.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 AM

Thank you for the information. We are moving from Washington State and Allstate dropped us from our home insurance because they are getting out of the hurricane corridor - so that is why I wondered about power outages - Allstate did drop us reluctantly and it was just business.
Thanks for vet info - have a geriatric cat. Appreciate the salon tips we aren't all natural blondes.
Kiwhy

Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM

656 posts, read 1,356,186 times
When are you making the move?

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the power outages much.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:21 PM

Moving first week in November. Hope there are still some beautiful fall colors.
Kiwhy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware