Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 04:05 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If cavities are not evident what does he think the xray will show?
Ever had bloodwork on an annual physical even though you were feeling fine? If you're female, ever had a doctor do a Pap smear or examine your breasts even though you had no signs of a problem? Ever had a colonoscopy even though your digestive system is behaving just fine?

Of course my doc doesn't order a whole-body MRI with every check-up; I'd fire her if she did. You have to choose which screening tests are likely to find problems that weren't evident based on cost/benefit. I consider annual dental X-rays a cheap way to find undetected problems before they turn into a crown, a root canal or something more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:19 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Mine recommended one after he became concerned because I seemed to be cracking fillings and losing a crown on occasion- more frequently than he would have expected. I can't tell you how many years I've had it but it was before I retired and that was 5 years ago. (I do clean it regularly!) my problem was clenching rather than grinding. I highly recommend it- buy a cheapie at the drug store and see if you can sleep with it. I never had an issue and the breakages have stopped.

I do have a mold-to-your-mouth drugstore kit that's been sitting in a drawer for about 3 years, maybe I'll try it, lol. I wonder if I clench? IDK but sometimes I wake up with a headache and it feels like I've been clenched tight.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:54 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
Quote:
If cavities are not evident on examination, and the patient says she has no pain or any problem, why does he need xray>
Why does this need to be explained to you?
Because when cavities are small, they are not visible to examination, and they don't yet cause you pain.

The x-rays are needed to SEE the cavities when they are still small, before they get big enough to see in your mouth. If there are no x-rays taken, then the small cavities get large, they then destroy the tooth, which the dentist then has to repair with likely a root canal and crown, and which you have to pay for. Tiny cavities cost much less money to fix.

Why does this need to be explained to you??

Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do have a mold-to-your-mouth drugstore kit that's been sitting in a drawer for about 3 years, maybe I'll try it, lol. I wonder if I clench? IDK but sometimes I wake up with a headache and it feels like I've been clenched tight.
There are jaw, face, neck, even shoulder relaxation exercises you can do to help reduce a clenching habit. You may notice how much tension your jaw, face or neck are under during the day, but you can continue the this involuntary habit while sleep. You only notice the soreness the next morning. Night guards change the angle of your jaw and can help relax the muscles in addition to protecting your teeth.

There are several websites that describe exercises that help. My dentist sent me to a PT initially, but the PT taught me how to do these at home. Here's one site describing the ones I learned. They did help!

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...sseter-muscle/

Old 05-13-2019, 05:56 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are jaw, face, neck, even shoulder relaxation exercises you can do to help reduce a clenching habit. You may notice how much tension your jaw, face or neck are under during the day, but you can continue the this involuntary habit while sleep. You only notice the soreness the next morning. Night guards change the angle of your jaw and can help relax the muscles in addition to protecting your teeth.

There are several websites that describe exercises that help. My dentist sent me to a PT initially, but the PT taught me how to do these at home. Here's one site describing the ones I learned. They did help!

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...sseter-muscle/

That;s awesome, I never heard of these exercises, thanks!

Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Because when cavities are small, they are not visible to examination, and they don't yet cause you pain.

The x-rays are needed to SEE the cavities when they are still small, before they get big enough to see in your mouth. If there are no x-rays taken, then the small cavities get large, they then destroy the tooth, which the dentist then has to repair with likely a root canal and crown, and which you have to pay for. Tiny cavities cost much less money to fix.

Why does this need to be explained to you??
Everybody do not get cavities. No need to go looking for them. Often they can be detected cavities by simply doing a physical examination.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
I had my 6 month checkup today. The hygienist said "It's time for xrays, can we take them?". So I had a choice, and I opted to get them!

Old 05-14-2019, 05:03 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I had my 6 month checkup today. The hygienist said "It's time for xrays, can we take them?". So I had a choice, and I opted to get them!
Was it a full mouth? If so may I ask how long it took?

Old 05-14-2019, 05:09 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Quote:
Was it a full mouth? If so may I ask how long it took?
I think it was a full mouth since I haven't had xrays in about 2 years. She took 2 on each side, one on the right back and then closer to the front, and then repeated on the left side, back and front. It was a split second for each xray.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:23 AM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:
Numerous people are also agreeing with me. Do you not notice?
Unfortunately yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health