Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,306 times

Advertisements

Hoping this question hasn't been posted yet...
My husband and I visited Denver a couple of years ago and are now considering a move there. We are a family of three that includes a four year old. We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood that has good schools and outdoor spaces for relaxation and play. Hoping we can find a home in the 175k - 200k price range. Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Yes, this can be found. Do a home search.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
where is work? what else is important? There are a lot of cities and suburbs in/near metro Denver that does not have housing that fits your criteria.

I would say Boulder, Greenwood Village and Cherry Creek Village are not on your list.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
It is not likely that you would find a house that fits your criteria for your price. However, here is one suggestion. There is a neighborhood called Harvey Park South (south of Yale Av, north of Hampden Av/Hwy 285, west of Lowell Blvd, east of Sheridan, zip code 80236) in Southwest Denver. ALL of the houses there are basically the same brick ranch-style house with 3 bedrooms and full basements. They all have decent-sized yards. Prices range from about 175k - 230k.

North of Yale (Harvey Park) you would find many houses in your price range, but that area gets rougher (still safe), the neighborhood is more hit and miss, and the houses are smaller. Stay west of Raleigh St and south of Evans Blvd. This is where I grew up. Property taxes in Denver are lower than the surrounding areas.

Here is the problem. The public schools here are NOT good. Most of the people I know who live here and have kids do one of two things. They send their kids to Notre Dame Catholic School which is nearby, OR they open enroll their children into Jefferson County schools like Westgate Elem., Bear Creek K-8 (much harder to get into), or Grant Ranch which are about 5 miles away. Very few people I know in the area send their kids to Denver Public Schools.

Other than this, you would have to find yourself a condo or a townhome for that price. Remember to lower your upper price though, because you will have to pay a monthly HOA fee that will run from $150 - $350 per month. This will not be figured into your mortgage payment.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
When I was looking for houses in that price range I looked at Arvada and Englewood and found small fixer uppers in both areas in that range. I'm sure you could also include Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Aurora and some other suburbs in your search. There won't be a lot in Denver itself but there are some areas like the ones that davidv mentioned.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
There are many homes for sale in that price range in the older (25-35 years old) parts of south Aurora/ 80015, which gets you into the Cherry Creek School District, good local schools plus the option of open enrollment (attending another school within the district as long as there is availability and you provide the transportation). There are neighborhood parks/playgrounds all over Aurora and the whole Denver metro area, and for open space there is Cherry Creek State Park and the Aurora Reservoir nearby.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,306 times
Thank you everyone for your information!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM

151 posts, read 397,549 times
You can find something in Highlands Ranch under 200k, likely to be on a smaller lot but HR does have a fair number of sizable parks.

You could also find something in Westminster around Stanley Lake.

Parts of Lakewood might be in the mix as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver