Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times

Advertisements

This is just my preliminary search. We want to spend a lot of time this time around, checking neighborhoods and commutes - before moving.

Most of the regulars here already know about me, but in case you don't...me and DH are in our late 30s. We have no kids. We love to travel internationally and are pretty much urban people. We desire a walkable neighborhood and short commute. We know this probably won't be possible given how much we can spend. If money was no question, we'd park ourselves in Wash Park - no doubt.

So right now I'm thinking DTC area. Anyone know zip codes? I'm going to start visiting open houses and such and check out the area. We are seriously considering a condo this time around - right now we live in a townhome.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
This is just my preliminary search. We want to spend a lot of time this time around, checking neighborhoods and commutes - before moving.

Most of the regulars here already know about me, but in case you don't...me and DH are in our late 30s. We have no kids. We love to travel internationally and are pretty much urban people. We desire a walkable neighborhood and short commute. We know this probably won't be possible given how much we can spend. If money was no question, we'd park ourselves in Wash Park - no doubt.

So right now I'm thinking DTC area. Anyone know zip codes? I'm going to start visiting open houses and such and check out the area. We are seriously considering a condo this time around - right now we live in a townhome.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
I know little about the DTC area... never have a reason to go down there. But I took the boys on a "train ride" last Summer to Park Meadows, so I can see how if you lived in a condo near a train station, you could live a relatively urban lifestyle. Just choose one on the west side of the buliding for the views!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM

Living near mass transit is a major must for me, as I commute daily to downtown. We know we won't have it like when we rented downtown, but something better than what we have would be great (we can't walk to one single thing from our home).

Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Living near mass transit is a major must for me, as I commute daily to downtown. We know we won't have it like when we rented downtown, but something better than what we have would be great (we can't walk to one single thing from our home).
Maybe someday I can take the train to work when the East Corridor is done And if the'd EVER get the Eastbridge Town Center in Stapleton built, I could walk to something other than my neighbors' homes and parks... oh, and pools and rec center. OK, I can walk to a few things.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 AM

haha, yes, you can walk to a few things. And Stapleton is just perfect for your family. Not so much for us. : )

Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
You might be able to find a condo somewhere in Congress Park, Mayfair, etc., at a surprisingly low price. My former realtor told me about one of his friends who picked up a condo in Cheeseman Park for under $100K. It was a foreclosure and needed some work, but it worked out for him.

Also, if you don't mind somewhere like Virginia Vale (Monaco & Leetsdale - less urban, but access to the 83L bus line, which runs frequently), there is a townhouse style condo for sale right now for $134K. I live near it. It's a Fannie Mae property. Another unit in that same complex sold for $98K(!) earlier this year and the units were built in 2000, so you could probably get it for less than the asking price. I think the reason why the prices are so low is because it's hard to get financing for condos right now, but not totally impossible.

I guess my point is that you shouldn't rule out everything in Denver -- you might be surprised!

(oh, and welcome back!)

Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Hi Cowboy! Long time no talk!

I'm not really ruling anything out - really, I'm open minded. We started our search in Cherry Hills but everything was soo highly priced and the places we looked at were crap. We actually did look in the area you mention, just not for a condo. Duh. I'll look again. Thanks!!!!!!

oh and do you know any zip codes?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Hey!

I sent you a PM with two specific properties in my neighborhood. I wouldn't be offended if you don't like them or if the neighborhood isn't right for you, but just thought I would pass them along!

Mayfair area - 80220
Congress park area - 80206
Parts of Cap Hill - 80203

Less urban, but still close to everything:
Virginia Vale - 80224
Virginia Village and University Hills - 80246/80222

You can also use Colorado Homefinder and set up searches that just search an entire city if you don't want to enter specific zip codes. i.e. "Show me everything between $100K and $150K in Denver"

Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
haha, yes, you can walk to a few things. And Stapleton is just perfect for your family. Not so much for us. : )
All you need is $400K and two or three babies, and you'll fit in perfectly in Stapleton

Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM

@Cowboy: Thanks!! U. Hills didn't have much in our range.

@Denverian: Fat chance!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver