Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Greenwood Village & I'm looking for a local place where I can take a daily walk. I'm a bit confused by a few things:

1. Where is the entrance to Cherry Ck Pk? I've driven passed the park (I think)... E. Belleview St to S. Peoria. All along Peoria, people cross the street with dogs on leashes from the apt complexes which line one whole side of the street, but I don't see a place where cars can pull in... so I'm guessing I'm on the wrong side of the park or that isn't Cherry Ck?

2. I found this website which states all CO State parks have entrance fees:

http://parks.state.co.us/ParksPasses...sPassInfo.aspx

... which confuses me a little as the women at my rental office swear you don't need to pay park fees. Maybe they're thinking of smaller local parks with playgrounds?

The site above states "All Colorado State Parks have entrance fees. All vehicles are required to have an entrance pass and some parks have walk-in fees." Walk-in fees? Wow! I could just walk on the sidewalks, but it involves too much major street crossing & I'd prefer to find a nearby walking area where it's safe for me to walk alone. In any event, the above link doesn't tell me where the parks are located.

I checked Mapquest which said there are a couple of parks on S. Quebec. I drove all the way from Bellevue to E. County Line (for errands) & I swear I don't see parks or anyplace where I can pull my car into a parking area. I'm obviously not seeing what's right in front of me, so if anyone can straighten me out, I'd appreciate it. What am I missing?

By the way, I don't mind driving to a nearby town to walk either... Englewood, Lone Tree are the only ones I know which are "attached" to GV. I'd rather not go all the way into Denver... I will eventually hit Denver parks, but for a daily walk I'd like to stay nearby for momentum.

3. Lastly, how do I know if I pull into a park that I'm okay without a park sticker? Are there posted signs? I imagine if I can't find a giant park, I may not see a tiny sign. Geesh! I guess I'm really asking, would my car be towed and/or will I get a ticket if I was supposed to have a park pass or have paid a fee & I didn't?

Please help a directionally challenged girl, who's also a lifelong city dweller & apparently can't recognize a collection of trees, stay fit by sending maps, graphs, websites or satellite signals so I may find these parks cartographers believe to exist & draw onto CO maps...

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
There's no fee to bicycle in or walk into Cherry Creek State Park-- only if you're driving in. The two driving entrances to the park are by Dayton & Union (right across the street from Cherry Creek High School) and at Parker Rd & Lehigh (in Aurora, on the east side of the Park). There are tons of trails where you can walk/jog/bicycle into the park. You can go in through the main Dayton & Union entrance mentioned above, there are some entrances right off Belleview between Dayton & Havana, there is an entrance near Peoria & Orchard-- and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

For free parking, try the Village Greens park parking lot (you turn into it by going north on Dayton just past Union). If school is not in session, you could probably get away with parking at the high school-- but don't quote me on that.

There's a mini open space "park" just west of Quebec, a few blocks south of Belleview (once you're past the office buildings) which has a trail that leads into the intersection of Belleview/Monaco. I don't believe there is any parking there. You could try parking in one of the nearby office building parking lots (just don't leave your car there overnight) to get to it-- or park at the Landmark and cross over Quebec at the Berry intersection.

Also there's the South Suburban park near Arapahoe & Holly.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 PM

664 posts, read 2,065,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
There's a mini open space "park" just west of Quebec, a few blocks south of Belleview (once you're past the office buildings) which has a trail that leads into the intersection of Belleview/Monaco. I don't believe there is any parking there. You could try parking in one of the nearby office building parking lots (just don't leave your car there overnight) to get to it-- or park at the Landmark and cross over Quebec at the Berry intersection.

Also there's the South Suburban park near Arapahoe & Holly.
That park you mention off Quebec St., Westlands Park, is quite a nice park. It has one of the coolest playgrounds around (which comes in handy with kids) and it has a spray park. There is a fair amount of open space there. There is a quite a large parking lot that has an entrance off Quebec St. just north of the Colorado Athletic Club. I highly recommend that park.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
If you drive north of Belleview on Dayton, you'll come to a signal. Turn left there and park in the elementary school parking lot. Then just walk across the street to an entrance into the park. Also, if you go east on Belleview past Havana Street and make the next right turn, you can park on the street and then just walk across Belleview to the park.

Another place to walk is the Highline Canal. Go west on Orchard past Holly. A short distance past the four way stop is a parking lot on the north side of the street (just before crossing a bridge). You can go either north or south on the canal from there. I recommend going north for some fantastic mountain views.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
There's no fee to bicycle in or walk into Cherry Creek State Park-- only if you're driving in...
Vegas... Thank you for the info & for being so specific with street names/locations... I really need that. I'm going to make it to CKP this week... haven't yet been near Dayton or Orchard, so I need a local map. I can't wait to hit the park... heard it's lovely!

Thanks again. I'll report back...

Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
That park you mention off Quebec St., Westlands Park, is quite a nice park. It has one of the coolest playgrounds around (which comes in handy with kids) and it has a spray park. There is a fair amount of open space there. There is a quite a large parking lot that has an entrance off Quebec St. just north of the Colorado Athletic Club. I highly recommend that park.
Chili... I think I noticed the playground part while driving on Quebec St, but didn't see a walking trail/area. Is the park large enough to accommodate a walk? When living in the northeast, I noticed how nervous adults are with lone adults walking about parks which kids mostly frequent... no kids here, so I'm not looking for playground areas (don't care if kids are milling about, but I don't want to alert the parents)... looking for a long walk around a park/trail/etc where I'd be safe walking alone.

I'm just about to leave for errands, so will drive passed to see if I can find the parking lot area... I remember seeing the Athletic Club (on the other side of the road, if I'm not mistaken?), so I should be able to find the parking entrance today. Having CA plates ('til I become a legal resident) helps in these circumstances, I feel... drivers expect me to slow down, cut across lanes (signaling first, of course) or drive more slowly as I'm trying to find what I'm looking for... nice advantage is CO drivers don't lay on their horns for any reason, I've noticed. It's a lovely change from NYC/Boston/London, I must say.

Thank you for your patience... I'm fresh from London (although yank-born) so have been driving left rather than right-sided... I've got a lot to pay attention to, so my directional ability, which is minute, suffers the greatest... I'm mainly looking for people pulling in on the "wrong side" & I've also never driven such a large car before (SUV)... so I do appreciate everyone's patience whose contributed to the post!!!

Thank you again!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
If you drive north of Belleview on Dayton, you'll come to a signal. Turn left there and park in the elementary school parking lot. Then just walk across the street to an entrance into the park. Also, if you go east on Belleview past Havana Street and make the next right turn, you can park on the street and then just walk across Belleview to the park.
It's a sad day for me when someone in HI needs to give me directions in CO! Seriously, Dreaming... thank you! I'll be hitting all the places recommended by next week so will report back.

Quote:
Another place to walk is the Highline Canal. Go west on Orchard past Holly. A short distance past the four way stop is a parking lot on the north side of the street (just before crossing a bridge). You can go either north or south on the canal from there. I recommend going north for some fantastic mountain views.
This sounds beautiful. I'll get there very soon... might be after the weekend, but you are right... I have turned corners & been unexpectedly floored by the mtn views... amazing!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:35 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
[quote=PatanjaliTwist;19013957] It's a sad day for me when someone in HI needs to give me directions in CO! Seriously, Dreaming... thank you! I'll be hitting all the places recommended by next week so will report back.

Funny! I lived near Havana and Orchard for ten years. We were "dreaming" of moving to Hawaii for seven years and last year our dream came true!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM

[quote=Dreaming of Hawaii;19014736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
We were "dreaming" of moving to Hawaii for seven years and last year our dream came true!
Congratulations! Maybe someday I'll follow in your footsteps! Aloha.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM

59 posts, read 200,191 times
There is an awesome, very new park off of Orchard and DTC that has a great walking trail. It's right by Silo Park and it even has little work out stops. I love it!
As Greenwood Village has a large walking trail system in itself. Check out greenwoodvillage.com for a map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver