Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 20,247 times

Advertisements

My husband & I have recently relocated to Lone Tree, Colorado with our two children. We have been looking for a single family home and are interested in the Willow Creek Subdivision. I am impressed with what I have read about the schools, but am concerned about the age and the size of the homes.

Any information for residents would be appreciated. My children are young (4 & 2) but we are planning on staying put for sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
formercalifornian lives there, I think. I'm sure she will tell you all about it. Read the recent thread titled, "Highlands Ranch vs Centennial"-- Willow Creek is the subdivision north of the Park Meadows Mall.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
It is one of the more popular neighborhoods in Centennial - close to light rail, good schools, shopping, dining...

Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 AM

62 posts, read 250,033 times
Yes, formercalifornian is the person to talk to - she was very helpful when I was considering moving to Willow Creek recently, since she lives there.

I just finished a house hunt in Centennial and Highlands Ranch, and Willow Creek was my first choice of neighborhood. The homes are indeed a little older than some other areas (like HR), but I like that - they're more established neighboorhoods. The homes seemed to mainly be built in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Many have been renovated inside, of course. The neighborhoods seemed quite walkable and close to lots of good things (parks, shopping, transportation).

I only settled on a place in Highlands Ranch because we could get a lot more house for the money. I haven't moved in yet, so it's too soon to say whether I made a good decision! I wouldn't have felt bad at all had I ended up in Willow Creek, though.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
I've been communicating with the OP via PM, but I'll post a few of my thoughts here, too. Bear in mind that I have lived here for only six months, after a two year home search, and that I cannot claim to be unbiased. Nonetheless, here goes:

Crime: Very safe. Occasionally, you'll see some teenagers making trouble during the summer, but it's mostly annoying rather than malicious. For specifics, check the Arapahoe County Sheriff's website for crime mapping.

HOAs: There are several, and one neighborhood is completely HOA-free. My area's architectural committee is pretty strict. That said, they were more than willing to cut us some slack after we moved into a house that needed quite a bit of landscaping work. They just wanted to know our schedule for bringing it into compliance. As I understand it, all of the Willow Creek HOAs have their documents on-line. Fees vary based on the services each HOA provides.

Families with young children: Willow Creek is a neighborhood in transition, but, yes, they do exist here. Some streets have plenty, while others are mostly retirees. It appears that the area near the Safeway shopping center has more than the rest of Willow Creek. The best places to meet other families are the community pools and the school playground. When you register for school (which must be done at the main office at CCHS rather than the elementary), the Willow Creek PTA will match you up with another family who has volunteered to show newcomers the ropes. The PTA also arranges mixers throughout the year. Additionally, I've met lots of people out walking the paths. A fun summer activity is catching crawdads in the creek that bisects the neighborhood. Take your children, a bucket, and a package of hot dogs for bait, and you'll attract a pack of kids in no time flat.

Schools: Willow Creek Elementary is outstanding! I can't compliment it enough. After two years in a poorly-performing Douglas County School (>40% of the third grade failed the writing portion of CSAP), my husband and I were at our wits' end. Despite tutoring, our eldest child was falling behind, and our youngest had an absolutely awful time, too. Both of them have made extraordinary strides in their first year at Willow Creek, and we could not be more pleased.

As you've probably noticed, Willow Creek is a fairly affluent area, but it's not showy. There aren't any mansions or expensive recreational toys cluttering up the streets. Residents tend to have a high-level of education and, as such, take their kids' education very seriously. The school rarely has a shortage of volunteers, and school bonds usually pass. In fact, in the metro area, I think that only CCSD passed its school bonds in 2008.

The elementary school is more ethnically diverse than the neighborhood itself and pulls nearly half of its students from other areas through open enrollment. In 2006, it was was awarded Blue-Ribbon School status, which you'll see on a banner that hangs over the entrance. Many teachers have been there for a decade or more, and lots of staff members live in the neighborhood. If you check the CSAP scores for the last few years, you'll see that well more than half the student body scored advanced in math. I think this may reflect a bit of self-selection, in that a great number of Willow Creek parents appear to work in engineering, IT, or finance.

One interesting thing about Willow Creek is that it does not ask the kids to participate in fund raisers throughout the year. Instead they request a "voluntary" donation (for 08-09, it was $125 per child) at the beginning of the year. I was happy to do it, even if the huge check I wrote at back-to-school night did cause me to catch my breath.

Politics: There were a variety of opinions about last year's election, although most signage indicated support for the Democratic ticket. On the playground, discussions were civil and respectful. With the exception of one friendly battle between two next-door neighbors, I did not see any vandalism of either party's materials. The school bonds were at the forefront of concern. As I noted earlier, both passed. Willow Creek Elementary will directly benefit from the money, which will pay for much-needed renovations.

Other thoughts: The downside of the neighborhood is the architecture. Nobody here buys for the architecture. In the less expensive houses at least, it's typical 70's design, with cramped stairwells, small closets, minuscule bathrooms, and tiny kitchens. We make up for it with beautiful, mature trees, expansive green belts, and wonderful walking/biking paths.

Willow Creek park is used a great deal for sports in all seasons. I believe that South Suburban Parks recently finalized plans to add a permanent restroom near the sports fields.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-14-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 PM

65 posts, read 216,430 times
On a map where is this subdivision located?

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 PM

The boundaries are County Line, Dry Creek, Yosemite, & Quebec.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,508 times
Default willow creek HOA

I am looking into moving into Willow Creek soon. There are a couple houses in the non-HOA area that we are looking at. Does anyone know if you arent a part of the HOA are you still allowed access to the community pools and tennis courts? What are the benefits of the HOAs in Willow Creek?

thanks!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 AM

As I understand it, you may belong to one of the community pools for an annual fee. The closest pool to Willow West (non-HOA) is the pool at the corner of Rosemary Cr. & Jamison Dr. The kids' swim teams for Willow 1 & Willow 3 are both open to non-resident participants. Willow 2 is for residents only.

Somebody else will have to take the question about tennis. I have no idea!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-26-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 31,018 times
formalcalifornian, ar any one els who may know the answers to some of the questions, it would be greatly appreciated

I know this is an old blog but wanted to find out a little more about the Willow creek if you don't mind. We are relocating to the area and Willow creek is one of choices. From what I have read,
- the HOA fee does not include the pool fee?
- Are kids that belong to one pool/HOA allowed to use another pool in the subdivision?
- Are kids allowed to ride their bikes on the trails?
- Were there more democratic signs than repubican signs during the last election?
- Are there block parties, concerts in the park, pick up softball games (adults), etc?
- How are the HOAs split up between the subdivision?
- What is the biggest concern in Willow creek today?
- Are there any HOA basketball courts?
-etc

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver