Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 15,045 times

Advertisements

so... me and my girlfriend want to move out of Tampa and Florida in general. We are tired of the heat, humidity, night life, etc. so we were thinking in Denver. I have never been to Denver, but my gf has and she has loved it... they only thing am afraid of is the job market right now. She is working on her Degree as a Radilogist and Im a A+ Certified and working towards my Electronic Engineering Degree.

More specifically:

How easy is to set up your own business in Denver? Like a full computer repair shop?
How expensive is to live in Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,326,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmunoz View Post
so... me and my girlfriend want to move out of Tampa and Florida in general. We are tired of the heat, humidity, night life, etc. so we were thinking in Denver. I have never been to Denver, but my gf has and she has loved it... they only thing am afraid of is the job market right now. She is working on her Degree as a Radilogist and Im a A+ Certified and working towards my Electronic Engineering Degree.

More specifically:

How easy is to set up your own business in Denver? Like a full computer repair shop?
Be very afraid of the job market in Denver. However, I'm sure setting up a business in Denver is probably like setting it up in most places; most likely you'll need a state tax id, business license, insurance things like that. Denver is more expensive than the South in general. Denver is moderately more expensive than Denver. Do you think you can complete in a market like that? You might check that out before you go.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmunoz View Post

More specifically:

I would look at the Chamber of Commerce in Denver but also if you can afford it I would visit Denver first-not sure if you are a native of Florida but it will be culture shock (I lived in Denver and now live in Tampa)-trust me....and to the previous link about being afraid of the job market in Denver-he knows nothing of the job market in Tampa ( I believe it's climbing to 12% now)...

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 AM

401 posts, read 855,605 times
Why would a FL native experience a culture shock?
And Yes, the job market in the Tampa are stinks right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I would look at the Chamber of Commerce in Denver but also if you can afford it I would visit Denver first-not sure if you are a native of Florida but it will be culture shock (I lived in Denver and now live in Tampa)-trust me....and to the previous link about being afraid of the job market in Denver-he knows nothing of the job market in Tampa ( I believe it's climbing to 12% now)...

Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM

Yes I know I moved here to change careers and a little less than a year-I'm already laid off-sorry I'm a little bitter right now...
Well Denver has no oceans for one, the seasons will be a shock, snow, people....it's a different way of life. It's an adjustment...but trust me I think you will love it-

Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,930 times
I don't miss Florida one bit, especially now that some hurricanes are off the coast. Haven't gone through fall or winter here yet, but I think it will be nice with actual season changes and not just green and hot all year.

Never really cared about the beach or anything when I was there, so I didn't really miss that aspect.

I would say in general the people here are way nicer, everyone in Florida is very nasty in comparison, of course I was near Orlando which is one of the angriest rated cities in the country

Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Go to Denver and never look back. If it was possible for me, I'd be following you right out the door.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 AM

If/When I move back to Denver I won't miss Florida one bit-maybe I'll miss Palm trees but that is about it-yes Orlando is nasty-but what do you expect-it's tourist "hell."

Old 09-03-2010, 09:49 AM

401 posts, read 855,605 times
I am sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to find work soon.

I do not like open water (oceans) so I will not miss the beach, but the wife and kids will. I'm sure the weekend excursions in the mountains will make up for no beach, as the boys love to be outside and explore.
I think after one winter, we would be fine.
Good luck and have a great Labor Day weekend!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Yes I know I moved here to change careers and a little less than a year-I'm already laid off-sorry I'm a little bitter right now...
Well Denver has no oceans for one, the seasons will be a shock, snow, people....it's a different way of life. It's an adjustment...but trust me I think you will love it-

Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 AM

I will-thanks-it's only going to be in the 90's again in Tampa-ugh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver