Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,169 times

Advertisements

A slightly specific question, but my wife and I are moving and looking for places to live. Right now it's Cheeseman Park, Capital Hill, or Uptown. She will be working in Broomfield and I was wondering if anyone had any specifics about what route to take to that area. I was looking at avoiding 25 and sending her up Downing or maybe even Colorado but that could just be worse. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas of how long it takes and what the preferable commuting routes are it would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukusz View Post
A slightly specific question, but my wife and I are moving and looking for places to live. Right now it's Cheeseman Park, Capital Hill, or Uptown. She will be working in Broomfield and I was wondering if anyone had any specifics about what route to take to that area. I was looking at avoiding 25 and sending her up Downing or maybe even Colorado but that could just be worse. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas of how long it takes and what the preferable commuting routes are it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't really think you could avoid the 25 in that commute. Assuming regular work hours, the freeway wouldn't be that bad considering it would be a "reverse commute". Getting to the freeway is going to be the hassle... I would assume Colfax to Speer.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,094 times
I used to live off of 13th and Vine and worked in Broomfield off of Interlocken Pkwy for about six months. The quickest route I found was to go up Downing to Park Ave, and take that over to I-25, then to the turnpike. Most mornings it took 40 minutes. It could take up to an hour. Coming home was worse.

I got tired of driving it, so I started taking the bus (route 10) to the Market Stn and grabbing either a B or BF to the Broomfield PnR, then grabbing the Call n' Ride bus to work.

It helped work provided me with a bus pass. It took about an hour and half to do the whole bus thing, so I understand a lot of people won't do it. I enjoyed it because I could sit and read a book the whole way.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:43 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
TechMike has given you excellent advice--take the bus ( I am not allowed to give him any more reps). Better yet, live in Broomfield!

Perhaps you like the old walkable eclectic neighborhoods of Denver--I understand, so do I. If that is the case, I would think about living in the old walkable areas of Louisville or Lafayette, which is straight north, up on Rt. 287.

Just a suggestion, you may have other reasons to do this terrible commute.

Another options is the new urbanism of the new Transit Oriented Development of Arista, at 287 and I-36.
Arista

The development has slowed down because of the economy. However, the public transit is very good, as has access to fast and frequent buses along I-36 and a connecting rail station is being built.

Livecontent

Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
. . .
Another options is the new urbanism of the new Transit Oriented Development of Arista, at 287 and I-36.
Arista

The development has slowed down because of the economy. However, the public transit is very good, as has access to fast and frequent buses along I-36 and a connecting rail station is being built.

Livecontent
Not to detract from what Livecontent has said, be aware that in its current state, in this time and place, the Arista development has great public transit, and is right next to the Broomfield Arena (I think that's what it's called) but is otherwise completely isolated, and sits right on top of the Boulder Turnpike (Hwy 36).

Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Not to detract from what Livecontent has said, be aware that in its current state, in this time and place, the Arista development has great public transit, and is right next to the Broomfield Arena (I think that's what it's called) but is otherwise completely isolated, and sits right on top of the Boulder Turnpike (Hwy 36).
Yes, It appears isolated but it has that great public transit, as you noted. It certainly is not completely isolated, as many far flung developments, because it is right down the road from the center of Broomfield with services and shopping with a Flatirons Mall minutes away, and again no far flung developments has this level of public transit. In addition, it is only minutes away from shopping south on Wadsworth in Westminster and Arvada.

I think the perception of isolation has more to do with the how slow the development is moving, being new and somewhat sterile and having no contiguous developments. I think it will have some good potential because it is well served, today, by the public transit and will be better with the new rail station in the future. The rail station will be on the east side and will involve a pedestrian tunnel under the tracks. That will give access to other areas and there will be further development near the station.

Put a grocery store and some basic shopping/services and you will have a self contained little community that is very well connected with public transit to the rest of the metro area. It could turn into a very walkable community where one could live without owning a car.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver