Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:44 PM

226 posts, read 1,220,060 times

Advertisements

sounds like highlands ranch would fit the bill. it is more than 20-25 minutes, though.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
sounds like highlands ranch would fit the bill. it is more than 20-25 minutes, though.
Yes, 20 min will barely get you out of the city. 25-30 would be the older suburbs, you might have to give up the loads of churches part, otherwise should fit the bill. Most of the 'burbs are fairly conservative, and all have churches, just not one on every corner.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 64,284 times
Default Denver vs suburbs

I so agree with tfox on the Denver thing. I live in a nice area of south
Denver with two kids. The kids are darn lonely here. It is all about
scheduling with friends over the phone instead of getting outside and
finding some fun. Most people here leave when the kids are school-age.
We are considering it but have been out of the burbs for twenty-five
years and wonder how different it will be. It is fun to walk to all
kinds of places here in Denver, but it is definitely about consumerism.

I grew up in Wheat Ridge and lived in Arvada and they are pretty
good. There is something better about the south side, in my opinion,
and would consider Littleton. There is the lightrail station in Littleton
that would make commuting to downtown so much easier.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnylady View Post
There is the lightrail station in Littleton
I must also add that the Littleton Lightrail Station is one the best designed stations on the lightrail. It comes into old town Littleton below grade and you arrive in a well manicured station. Steps lead up to the relocated old Littleton Train Station which has a small restaurant. There is a small parking lot and across the street are some buildings for Arapahoe Community College. Walkable old town Littleton is all around. I would suggest that anyone looking to take a trip on the light rail, get off this station and have a nice day trip.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:51 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Quote:
I so agree with tfox on the Denver thing. I live in a nice area of south
Denver with two kids. The kids are darn lonely here. It is all about
scheduling with friends over the phone instead of getting outside and
finding some fun. Most people here leave when the kids are school-age.
We are considering it but have been out of the burbs for twenty-five
years and wonder how different it will be. It is fun to walk to all
kinds of places here in Denver, but it is definitely about consumerism.
I live in Denver with kids as well, Bunnylady, and I happen to think it's the best place for my family. We do know a lot of other families here as well, most of whom have no desire to move. However, I have my own reasons, and I got a strong sense that Denver isn't for the OP. That's why I was trying to steer them to the suburbs.

Quote:
I grew up in Wheat Ridge and lived in Arvada and they are pretty
good. There is something better about the south side, in my opinion,
and would consider Littleton. There is the lightrail station in Littleton
Totally agree about Littleton. Nice town, nice neighborhood, great option for the original poster. There's something about a town that already existed BEFORE becoming a suburb that a newly built suburb just can't ever duplicate. However, I didn't mention it to the OP because it's certainly not within 20-25 minutes of downtown Denver in rush hour, though it's not too bad. In fact, most of the city of Denver itself isn't within 20-25 minutes of downtown in Rush hour either!

Old 09-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
There's something about a town that already existed BEFORE becoming a suburb that a newly built suburb just can't ever duplicate.
I think that is a good point, especially in the west, where there are not too many of these small towns that developed because of the faster growth. In the east, hundred of years past before, cars, highways and fast interconnectivity and small towns developed.

The small towns, in the Metro Area, that developed along with Denver and are sufficiently far, away to develop a unique identity and are commutable to Denver:

Arvada-old town area, nice older homes
Littleton-again nice old town area, interesting buildings
Englewood--small area, on Broadway and around Swedish Hospital
Golden-of course is very unique.
Boulder-certainly, a great walkable old area, nice preservation
Louisville - beautiful and nicely redeveloped.
Lafayette - small but still has an nice identity.
Brighton - farm community, which at one time was far away but now is considered in metro area. Old area that is now being redeveloped.
Morrison - small and eclectic.
Castle Rock--small, interesting area
Evergreen--great old building
Longmont--probably one of the largest old town that has not been changed.

My favorite are Longmont and Louisville because they are still small and have many characteristics of a small town to me.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:29 PM

41 posts, read 33,830 times
I suggest the Aurora area. It takes my wife 25mins to the new Children's hospital off of E.Colfax and 225. Tons of churches and families galore. Denver is full of liberals. Just look at the crime rates in every big city. The lack of faith causes many of these problems. Sorry for the rant. We moved here from Seattle which is much worse. For 300k, you can find many good deals in and around Denver or in the Aurora area. Look at a place called the Conservatory off of E. Hampden or in around Southlands mall. Great mall by the way. Has a family feel to it. Out door ice rink and fire pit during the winter and water fountains for the kids to play in during the summer.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black View Post
The lack of faith causes many of these problems.

Wrong again.

Here's a byproduct of faith pal.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Mr. Black, Charles,

I am an atheist as my moniker shows. We atheists are coming out of the closet and making ourselves known.

Being an atheist does not mean I condemn all religious institutions, tranditions, and groups. I grew in a roman catholic because I was a Sicilian Italian American, that was that way and the tradition. I am now a confirmed atheist but I have learned to temper my opinions.

I live in Arvada, just near North Denver. Down the street from me is St. Vincent's Home, oriiginally established as an orphanage. Down further is the Sisters of Charity home for the aged and sick. In my area is Regis College and St. Elizabeth Home for the aged, There is home for the elderly near a North Denver Church and a school for poor hispanics. I have learned:

"Do not throw out the baby with the bath water"

Religious Groups have done great good but they have also done great evil. So, I do not reject the good in the institutions. However, I condemn and reject the religious orthodoxy of intolerance and hatred--that Charles has shown in that awful picture.

I get treated by Hospitals that were all created and all are maintained by religious institutions. When, I was hospitalize recently, I asked for the crucifix to be removed from the room because I find it offensive but I recognize the good and charity of these institutions.

Here in Arvada, there are many churches that give support to the lonely, the aged and try to instill a moral good on families. That to me is good, so I agree, Mr. Black. I have been to many church events in this area, Christians and Mormons (I even helped at the cannery in Aurora); I let them know I am an atheist. They are even more surprised when I tell them I am an atheist who is against abortion.

My argument with god believers is that the basis for their believe is nonsense, especially relating to the abrahamic delusions of god--and that means, judahism, christianity, islam, latter day saints etc.---anything based on those mindless ramblings. My opposition also applies to any other religions that claims that they have seen, heard, god or a messager from a god--as in Hindus, Zorasters, B'hais etc.

HOWEVER the good done is great, even though the belief is false. I find their religious beliefs wrong but I respect it, will defend it but will these people respect me and the rights to reject gods???? The rights to believe is also the rights to not believe. I am a social humanist and I believe we can do the great good and have a moral code without inventing gods.

We atheist are more condemn and descriminated against then any other group. We can elect a homosexual to congress but never as atheist. So, now we have all these candidates for Presidents expressing how they are christians and will defend the rights of christians. Romney, the religious bigoted phoney, claiming his rights as a mormon and other people of faith, but he will not defend or acknowledge the rights of non-believers if he becomes president, to him, atheist have no rights. We atheist are here, and We have no fear.

Livecontent

Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
The O.P. started this thread on 02 Sept, but hasn't been back since, not even to read it.

Seems we helped them all they needed, so I'm going to close this thread.

Thanks to all who posted.

s/Mike
Moderator for CO forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver