Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:53 PM

66 posts, read 409,463 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be visiting Denver very soon. I have a few questions though.

I will probably be visiting sometime between October and December to look around. What would you say are the average temps and snow fall during that time? I'd like to pack accordingly and will be watching the weather before I go. I would just like an idea ahead of time.

I would also appreciate any reccomendations on areas to look at. I don't mind living in or out of the city area. I don't really want to be near anywhere known for a lot of gang activity. I don't want to go too rural because I don't like the critters that come along with it lol. I have read in here to stay away from Aurora and Five Points due to the gangs?

My husband and I can afford a house that is between 150k - 175k. My husband has been offered 2 jobs in Denver over the phone! We know we will have work so that is not a problem. If you need anymore info from me just holler

I appreciate your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM

226 posts, read 1,220,693 times
you will not be able to buy anything in that price range... a very small condo maybe. if you go in october, there probably won't be much snow. as far as where to look, it depends on what you're looking for.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:07 PM

214 posts, read 242,264 times
Denver always depends on what the weather is like in October through December. Most of the time it is mild and sunny, then one day it will get cold and snow, but the next day is mild and sunny again. Be prepared for anything. Atleast bring a fleece or something to wear incase it does get cold. I always lived in the city when I was there. Capitol hill was urban and fun. Five Points is not Harlem. There are many young professionals moving into that area. Especially if you closer to the side near downtown. Visit the city and area and make your mind up. One thing that I didn't like were the Denver suburbs. It has lots of urban sprawl suburbs. I am not a fan of that anywhere.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 PM

66 posts, read 409,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
you will not be able to buy anything in that price range... a very small condo maybe. if you go in october, there probably won't be much snow. as far as where to look, it depends on what you're looking for.

I'm surprised at your reply. I am talking with 3 different realtors in Colorado right now. Each company emails me bulk home listings everyday in that price range. I also just went online to REMAX and typed in:

Denver
Single Family Homes
175,000 - 150,000
3 or more bedrooms
2 or more bathrooms

I was shown over 500 listings.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
I am surprised there are that many homes in that price category. Maybe some of them are townhouses and condos. I just read that 85% of homes in Boulder Co. cost more than $200K. I am just paraphrasing. I don't know if that includes single family homes, condos, or what.

RE: weather. You can look at some weather websites, but I agree with RowJimmy that it is very changeable. If you come in December, bring some winter garments and gloves and hats. You may not need them, but if you do, you'll be glad you brought them.

There are not a lot of rural areas around Denver. It is most all urban/suburban.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 PM

355 posts, read 1,405,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Girl View Post
I'm surprised at your reply. I am talking with 3 different realtors in Colorado right now. Each company emails me bulk home listings everyday in that price range. I also just went online to REMAX and typed in:

Denver
Single Family Homes
175,000 - 150,000
3 or more bedrooms
2 or more bathrooms

I was shown over 500 listings.
obviously .gif has no idea about real estate there are a ****load of houses for under 175K....now the neighborhoods is what i dont have a clue about maybe all the listing are in horrible parts of town ?? lol but yea ive been looking at real estate in denver, lakewood and golden and there seem to be alot of good deals goin on

Old 09-13-2007, 07:47 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,589,198 times
You can find houses in decent areas for your price range. That is pretty much my price range, and I've found many. Most of them are fixers, but that's what I want.

Also, someone mentioned something about Boulder county. THat is pretty much universally known to be very expensive. California style expensive.

Now is a good time to get a good deal, the markets going south.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Boulder County is more expensive than, say, Adams County, but it is not California style expensive.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,621,606 times
Hi CityGirl,

From my research, I know there are homes in the 150K range, but are old and probably only have single car garage if even that. Not sure about the neighborhoods though.

IMHO, if you can spend at least 250K for a home then you will start to see nicer, newer update style elevation homes on the market.

The homes in the 150K range look like ^^^^ and IMHO I would not get one.

So as the others said, maybe a condo or townhome. Not sure how you will enjoy neighbors on the other side of the wall (aka apartments ect).

Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 PM

48 posts, read 180,895 times
Hi City Girl. There are definitely plenty of homes available within the price range you are looking that are close to downtown. If you go into sites like zillow.com or trulia.com you can actually search neighborhoods. Trulia allows you to type in Denver, CO under the main search box. Then a map will pop up with listed homes for sale. You can then see on the lefthand side a box that says "neighborhoods." If you click on the link, you an then further search by zip codes as well.

I would suggest searching by zip codes first. You can find a map of Denver zip codes at Metor Denver Area Zip Code Map.

I would suggest zip codes: 80205, 80206, 80218, 80209
Some neighborhoods I would suggest searching are: City Park West, Capitol Hill, Congress Park, Civic Center, Five Points, Skyland

I, of course, have a great website to suggest where you can go and search the Denver Metrolist MLS for free and you don't have to register if you don't want. Since I'm not allowed to promote it, just PM me if you want the name of the site.

The weather varies greatly during Oct - Dec. Usually it's cool in the morning and after the sun goes down but warmer during the day. Jeans, long sleeved shirts, and light jackets should do it for most of the day.

Also, the winter is actually a great time to be looking for a home. There is also lots of inventory on the market that is bank-owned. If you are interested in foreclosures or bank-owned I can point you to some great websites to search for free.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver