Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I understand. We have a couple of idiots in our neighborhood that have their dogs outside in their yard with no fence. Most people, when you talk to them a couple of times about their dog rushing up to you, will do something such as put them on a line, keep them in or on a leash. But there is always a dolt or two who don't. Be very direct. Ask them to leash their dog. Yell it out in advance. Stop dead in your tracks the minute you see them or turn and go the other way if you've asked a few times. If you know where they live call animal control and report that they walk their dog without a leash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM

72 posts, read 123,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No one but you has to love your own pet but as a responsible adult it is always wise to control your animals at all times. It is unfortunate you are afraid of dogs, not all of them are like the dog that attacked you when you were a child. I have a dog named Walter who is 65 pounds and he is the biggest, sweetest, pile of mush on the planet. He loves everyone and most everyone loves him because he is so sweet and gentle. That being said I would never allo Walter to run up to you becausehe is always under my control and he does mind very well all the time.
I appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Yeah, I understand. We have a couple of idiots in our neighborhood that have their dogs outside in their yard with no fence. Most people, when you talk to them a couple of times about their dog rushing up to you, will do something such as put them on a line, keep them in or on a leash. But there is always a dolt or two who don't. Be very direct. Ask them to leash their dog. Yell it out in advance. Stop dead in your tracks the minute you see them or turn and go the other way if you've asked a few times. If you know where they live call animal control and report that they walk their dog without a leash.

Is it against law"walk their dog without a leash"? Where can I find the law?
Thank you for your support , mic111.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 PM

If you live in Denver.

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/682...16LeashLaw.PDF

Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you mic111,
very informative and supportive.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM

You could print it out and leave it at their house or give it to them when their dog rushes you.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You could print it out and leave it at their house or give it to them when their dog rushes you.
I just moved to a new neighborhood and want to be nice and friendly to everyone.

It's hard to me to do that. Let me think about it. Thank you, mic111.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,836 times
I am in Richmond, VA, just saw the title of this post so it caught my attention, and after reading the thread I have to agree with the OP - it is extremely annoying when my neighbors let loose of their dogs when walking around in the apartment complex and the dogs come chasing or barking at me (which scares me as I am afraid of dogs) and then instead of apologizing the neighbors go "don't worry, he/she is friendly etc." ...umm I don't care whether your dog is friendly or not and I am not about to get bitten and find out...not to mention whether they bite or not the scare they create alone is unjustified....I don't have to be scared because my neighbors choose to walk around with their dogs unleashed (which is against my apartment complex policy by the way). I am thinking from now on I will carry my handgun and shoot the next dog that comes running at me may be then the neighbors will learn a lesson. Sounds harsh yes, but I will do what I have to do to for my safety and for teaching unruly dog-owners a tough lesson by shooting their dogs!

Last edited by ronyusa; 07-23-2012 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo...

Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
I am in Richmond, VA, just saw the title of this post so it caught my attention, and after reading the thread I have to agree with the OP - it is extremely annoying when my neighbors let loose of their dogs when walking around in the apartment complex and the dogs come chasing or barking at me (which scares me as I am afraid of dogs) and then instead of apologizing the neighbors go "don't worry, he/she is friendly etc." ...umm I don't care whether your dogs is friendly or not and I am not about to get beaten and find out...not to mention whether they bite or not the scare they create alone is unjustified....I don't have to be scared because my neighbors choose to walk around with their dogs unleashed (which is against my apartment complex policy by the way). I am thinking from now on I will carry my handgun and shoot the next dog that comes running at me may be then the neighbors will learn a lesson. Sounds harsh yes, but I will do what I have to do to for my safety and for teaching unruly dog-owners a tough lesson by shooting their dogs!
Yeah, they always say that.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
No you do not have to love other people's dogs just like I do not have to love other people's screaming misbehaving kids in stores, pools and etc.

When dogs run at you, ignore them, do not make eye contact or try to push them away, just turn or step to the side and keep going. If the dog follows you or starts hauling ass toward you tell people you are Very allergic and need them to get their dog before you break out in hives. Some people have no concept that Fluffy is something to be feared, so allergy may be the way to go.
Do not feed them or try to distract them, some dogs are not taught to take food nicely and may snatch it out of your hand. Ignore and avoid.

I take one of my dogs hiking, I always keep him on a leash, I wish I could say the same for others, then their dog runs up to mine who is at a disadvantage since he is leashed and I ask them to get their dog since mine is not friendly and does not appreciate other dogs getting into his face. He really does get along with other dogs but the point is leash your darn dog!!

I think there are Dog Whisperer episodes that show you how to deal with dogs, I think it was mail carriers and he showed them how to avoid the dogs or get bit.

I hate when people compare their dogs with children, I am sorry they are not children, the do not need to be treated like children, and should not be allowed all the places children can go.

As for a dog rushing people unleashed, my daughter is severely autistic and also allergic to dogs, yet probably 6 times a week a dog rushes up to her and gets right in her face, or starts licking her, causing an allergic reaction if she is not cleaned up within a minute or two. It is not her responsibility to avoid an animal that comes within her personal space because the owner cannot properly train their animal yet insists on taking them to public spaces such as gas stations, restaurants, schools, and elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver