Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 PM

15 posts, read 80,129 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Ohio. I am considering moving sometime next year. Question is, as is often the case, where? I've been doing a lot of thinking recently.... And as if revealing the combination of my low IQ and attention deficits, it just goes on and on and on......

Florida may be nice.... Wait, they have hurricanes coming every summer, which is hot and humid, therefore very umcomfortable. I don't like oceans anyway. The smell of salt water is something I cannot live with....

What about Atlanta? Big metropolitan city with...... heavy traffic and high crime rates and..... Well, Goergia in general is not that far from where I am (Ohio), but wait, didn't they say at the Discovery Channel that there's an unexploded atomic bomb buried in the Savannah area?

I don't want to live worrying about earthquakes constantly.... Well, maybe the Pacific states should be excluded then..... I hate tornado, too, though. Well, then, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa....etc are not my choice, right?

What about nuclear stuff? There must be some states where there are no nuclear plants. According to my web search, Montana, North Dakota, Kentucky, New Mexico, Oregon, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Hawaii and Alaska have no nuclear plants. Colorado used to have one, but it's been decomissioned in 1989...

Speaking of nuclear fear, Nevada has an active nuclear weapon testing site within 100 miles north of Vegas. And now, they're planning to dump 70,000 tons of plutonium byproducts in the Yucca Mountain, which is also within 100 miles from Vegas.....

I like musicals and concerts. So, I'd like to live very close to where major metropolitan attractions are.... Actually, I like Vegas a lot, but I don't want to live with fear for nuclear disasters....

When I was visiting freinds in Scottsdale (AZ), they kept saying "It's hot here but it's dry hot, therefore it's much more tolerable.", too often....I mean, way too often as if they're trying to force themselves to believe it. Great place to visit, but I don't see myself living where there's burning hot air blowing at your face like a hair drier and once you go inside the mall or something, the air-conditioned air is almost antarctic. If you have to keep the velvet-thick black curtain completely closed in your hotel room in a daytime, you got a problem.... I like the red-brown mountains, though.

I just received a brochure by mail "Mayo Clinic Health Systems are looking for new emergency medicine physicians...." What about moving to Minneapolis (I happen to be an ER physician)?.... Isn't winter brutal in Minnesota? I thought the winter of Chicago was beyond description, but Minnesota must be worse.....

What about Colorado? Very scenic mountains (red-brown ones like saying "wild West", not ordinary green ones), distinct four seasons, dry and comfortable summer, no earthquakes, no floods, no hurricanes, no tornados (right?), nuclear-plant free (since 1989), established metropolitan city in the center (Denver).....great!!!! .....But what about winter? There are a lot of ski resorts in Colorado, so it must snow a lot in Colorado....

Now, I have questions. How bad is winter in Colorado? Does it vary depending on where in Colorado you are? If it does, which part of the state typically has milder winter than the others? Coming from where we get snows only occasionally in winter months, how much more intense would the winter of Colorado feel like?

I would greatly appreciate your kind feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,250 times
Obviously the ski resorts are going to get a lot of snow being at such high elevations and it really does depend on where you are. The majority of the time any storms that the ski resorts get typically won't affect the cities like denver and co. springs since most of them tend to lose a lot of power over the continental divide. And since the air is drier out here we have less of the damp cold that happens out east. And if there is a storm in the city it usually lasts for a half day and the snow melts ususally completely in the city a couple days after.
Im sure its similar in far west colorado too i just don't have any experience with winters out there

Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
There is probably more snow in your part of Ohio than in metro Denver most winters. I would refer you to the Colorado weather thread, too.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-19-2007 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM

46 posts, read 210,969 times
Denver gets more average snow a year than any midwestern city. And more than alot of them added together. It just doesn't stick around here, sun melts it pretty fast(usually). So what is the purpose in it snowing here - To destroy my car!!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:57 PM

46 posts, read 210,969 times
Oh yeah, and there is alot of tornadoes but mainly east of I-25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver