Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times

Advertisements

I admit that I think this is a great place to live, but I also understand that it's not for everyone. Just trying to understand the people who didn't like it here.

I have always held that people who aren't happy here don't take advantage of the things that makes Denver different from other mid/large cities.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How many times did you go to the mountains on average in a winter?

2. How many times a year did you go skiing or snowboarding?

3. How many times did you go to the mountains on average in a summer?

4. How many concerts did you see at Red Rocks in an average year?

5. Which outdoor sports did you try while living here? (camping and fishing can be counted in this)

6. Did you live in the city proper or in a suburb? If a suburb, which suburb? If the city, which neighborhood?

7. Did you have any favorite local restaurants/bars? If so what were they?

8. Which cities are you happier in?

9. Where did you grow up?

10. Did you ever go to the Denver Center for Performing Arts?

11. How many live sporting events did you attend on average every year?

12. Were you employed and were you happy with your job?

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-29-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 AM

31 posts, read 51,732 times
I don't go to concerts for the venue, I go for the act. I don't like red rocks lineups, I think colorado needs much more work on attracting modern relevant bands there and not just has beens. 311 looked like a nice concert last year but like I said they are aren't relevant today. I would much rather go to Chicago to see live music. I'd rather pay and travel for quality and experience than stay and settle for mediocrity.

Regarding performing arts... It's a great date place, but I don't like spending that type of money on dates nor do I p,an dates more than 1 week in advance.

Regarding winter...I can barely live in denver when it's 10-20 degrees out for several months, the only time I went skiing was in march when it was warmer. It's miserable anytime other than a few days in march.

I go to mountains on weekdays during summer 30 or so times a year, and only hike in deserted areas. Weekend crowds are excruciatingly annoying. I enjoy places that are void of front range people as often as possible. If I see a crowd on my hiking trail, I will hide or change trails to avoid until they pass.

No favorite restaurants, I prefer to cook my own food and drink my own beer at home for cheaper.

I'm not happy in any city. Cities are for making money, period. the only people I see who enjoy cities are weirdos in my mind, or trashy, or young Midwesterners trying to get their underwear dirty and a little life experience under their belts.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Keep in mind, I still live here, but overall, I'm indifferent.

A little less than once a month. Usually for poker in Black Hawk, or work.

0, tried skiing once c. 2010 when I was very out of shape, and failed. Am open to trying again someday.

A little less than once a month. Usually for poker in Black Hawk, or work. Stayed in a cabin in Tabernash once.

0, still have never been (for a concert).

5. Which outdoor sports did you try while living here? (camping and fishing can be counted in this)
0. I prefer playing sports like baseball and basketball.

6. Did you live in the city proper or in a suburb? If a suburb, which suburb? If the city, which neighborhood?
I spent 2007-2009 in Aurora (south and central), and 2009-present in Denver, just north of DTC.

Casa Vallarta in Aurora, Texas Roadhouse in Aurora (yes, a chain, but we're fairly regular), Greenfield's Bar in Lakewood.

Spokane, WA. I now like to think I could be happy or at least fairly content most everywhere given good circumstances (unless it's somewhere ungodly hot and/or snowless).

Corona, CA/Riverside, CA (Inland Empire east of LA/OC), summers in the Seattle area.

I've been there once, to see Frank Caliendo (lol). I don't remember which specific hall it was, but it was on the east side under that big overhang thingy.

At least a dozen, Rockies and Nuggets.

Yes, and yes (aside from the occasional drama, but the pay is good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblond33 View Post
Cities are for making money, period.
I kind of feel this way too.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I admit that I think this is a great place to live, but I also understand that it's not for everyone. Just trying to understand the people who didn't like it here.

I have always held that people who aren't happy here don't take advantage of the things that makes Denver different from other mid/large cities.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How many times did you go to the mountains on average in a winter? 0

2. How many times a year did you go skiing or snowboarding?0

3. How many times did you go to the mountains on average in a summer?0

4. How many concerts did you see at Red Rocks in an average year?0

5. Which outdoor sports did you try while living here? (camping and fishing can be counted in this)0

6. Did you live in the city proper or in a suburb? If a suburb, which suburb? If the city, which neighborhood? City proper

7. Did you have any favorite local restaurants/bars? If so what were they? No

8. Which cities are you happier in? Los Angeles, San Diego

9. Where did you grow up? Kansas City

10. Did you ever go to the Denver Center for Performing Arts? Once

11. How many live sporting events did you attend on average every year? 0

Yes and No!

Wow, I need to get out more lol! But I've have 5 year old twins so we're just getting to the point where you can take them places, so I plan to do more things now.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Interesting

Zero. Used to going skiing 15 days a year.
Zero now.
0-1
Zero
camping, rafting, skiing
City & County of Denver. Berkeley.
See Berkeley Neighborhood and slightly beyond - Denver
If I had a lot more money, I think that Russian Hill in San Francisco would be perfect. A lot more $.
White bread suburbs in New England and upstate NY.
Yes
0-1
Yes. Yes.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
1. How many times did/do you go to the mountains on average in a winter? Zero

2. How many times a year did/do you go skiing or snowboarding? Zero

3. How many times did/do you go to the mountains on average in a summer? Zero

4. How many concerts did/do you see at Red Rocks in an average year? None so far. I've absolutely no desire to navigate mountain roads, particularly at night, so it is extremely doubtful that I will ever see a show at Red Rocks.

5. Which outdoor sports did/do you try while living here? (camping and fishing can be counted in this) None

Live in SE Aurora

7. Did/do you have any favorite local restaurants/bars? If so what were/are they? Don't eat out often, although, I do like Anthony's and Joey's for pizza and the sandwiches at the City Grille

8. Which cities are/were you happier in? Las Cruces, NM

9. Where did you grow up? NYC - Manhattan and Brooklyn

10. Did you ever go to the Denver Center for Performing Arts? Not yet - hoping to go in May

11. How many live sporting events did/do you attend on average every year? - one baseball game last year, at least one this year

12. Were/are you employed and were/are you happy with your job? Am employed and very happy with my job - it is the primary reason I live here. If working remotely had been a possibility, I would still be in NM.

Nice poll, OP.
A few additional comments:
I love the mountains, from a distance. I am an outdoor person to the extent that I love to garden.

Things that I do appreciate about the Denver metro include:
the museums,
the public transit system,
the variety of shops along Colfax Ave.,
the architecture - particularly the houses along 6th,
the tree-lined streets downtown,
access to Broadway-level entertainment,
a big-market airport (more non-stops),
multiple supermarket chains,
a decent library system,
a walkable downtown
the wildlife in my neighborhood
the abundance of green space for walking, biking, etc.
living near family

Biggest drawbacks for me are the high(er) cost of living, fighting the weather to get to work, feeling like I cannot plan activities because the weather is so variable, the late start to spring planting season, the traffic, too much (lawn) grass, too many cigarette smokers.

Bottom line: there are lot of worse places to live and at least one that suits me better, insofar as personal safety and comfort is concerned. I hate feeling trapped in my home because the sidewalks and streets are icy. I hate feeling like I have to risk life and limb to earn a living and keep a roof over my head. I hated seeing flowers poke up out of the ground only to have them freeze within days.
Ah, but, when the sun comes out and the birds sing and I hear the kids playing outside, it's all good.
So, here I will be for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
I'm going to start off my post by saying I'm not unhappy with *Denver*, per se--I actually think it's a great city, and one of my friends who *is* a native jokes that I'm so interwoven into the fabric of the city that anybody would think I'm the native and she's the transplant--she swears she never runs into anybody she knows, but we can't seem to go anywhere without running into somebody I know.

I grew up outside St. Louis, MO, and between the ages of 18 and 28, I lived in six different places--two of them being overseas. My friends got used to getting a 'change of address' notification from me pretty much every other year. I moved to Denver when I was 28. That was fifteen years ago, and I'm still here, so I must like it somewhat.

There's a lot of things I love about Denver (and Colorado). Anything I'm unhappy with is not really a fault of Denver. I didn't grow up here, so sometimes I get a little homesick. The economy was a mess and my field took a nosedive, but that was all over the country, so again, not a fault in Denver--but when unemployment and homesickness hit at the same time, you get to hating *everything*. So I did go through an "I hate it here" phase, but I probably would have gone through that no matter where I was, given the same situation. Now I'm employed again, so life on that score is good. Homesickness still crops up every so often, but I think that'll happen to any transplant from time to time.

In all honesty, the only thing I could say I'm a bit concerned regarding Denver is cost of living--it seems like it's going up faster than my salary can keep pace with. But that might be all over too.

I *have* considered moving out of state lately, but again, not to a fault of Denver--I think, by nature, I'm a bit of a gypsy, and I've found myself wondering what the Pacific Northwest or New England (two places I haven't been) would be like. So that stems more from 'itchy feet' than "I hate Denver".

So my answers:

When I first moved here, I went skiing a few times in the winter. I haven't been up to the mountains in the winter in a few years, though.

Twice a year for the first few years (then my field went down, and being unemployed pretty much means no skiing). And to be honest, I'm not big on skiing--I like it enough that I'll go if invited, but not enough to instigate a trip.

Three or four.

I've *yet* to get to a concert at Red Rocks! (I haven't been to Elitches either!) Not happy about either of those.

Have gone camping in the mountains (up in Gilpin County last summer), hiking (I went on a date to Cottonwood Canyon, which I liked). I've played on some softball leagues and a soccer league once. Skiing (previously mentioned). I was supposed to go rafting/tubing on the St. Vrain, but I think that year the water was too fast so they were cancelling.

I started off in Denver/Denver County, I'm now in Aurora/Araphaoe County.

City Pizza and Pasta, which features St. Louis cuisine and helps stave off the aforementioned homesickness.

Y'know, I've found there's always a trade-off. I lived in a small mountain village in Germany, which was lovely, calm, quiet, and peaceful, but everything shut down at 9 p.m. and it was a 45 minute drive to the nearest city for any nightlife. I've lived in downtown areas where lots was going on, but noisier. I grew up near rivers and miss them, but mountains are pretty awesome too. I've lived in the South during the winter and didn't freeze, but didn't get any snow and blistering heat in the summer. I've lived in the rainy/muggy Midwest, and the drier West. There's always things I love and always things I miss about each place.

In a suburb outside St. Louis, MO.

Yes, about two or three times a year. I may break that record this year!

Two or three.

I've had a variety of jobs here, and have sometimes been unemployed. I've usually liked my work, but had two jobs I outright hated--one to the point where I was literally physically ill and when I was let go, I instantly got healthier. When I'm employed and happy about it (which has been the norm), I'm pretty happy here.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Great stuff. Love the responses.

Davebarnes never struck me as someone unhappy in Denver.

Jeffblond needs to move to an uninhabited island where it doesn't get too hot or too cold but has his favorite bands play in a crappy venue. By the way, I see bands I don't like all the time at Red Rocks. It's fun to see live music in a great setting.

Definitely agree with Indigo about trade offs.

It does seem to me that most people who aren't happy aren't taking advantage of all of what Denver offers, but maybe those aren't things you like doing.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I'm surprised at how often the people ITT don't go to the mountains.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
As much as the job allows. I think we went around 6 or 7 times.

We have the Vail resorts Epic Local Pass; see above.

We go to the foothills from time to time. We aren't into camping, hiking, hunting, etc. I like to bike, but I still haven't replaced the bike I handed down to my brother for college, and husband hates biking.

None. A bit expensive for my taste. We have gone up to Red Rocks just for fun/mini hike.

Skiing is all. My childhood consisted of spending the summers outdoors camping and it is just not my thing.

City proper. Downtown, just moved to Congress Park.

Panzano is my favorite restaurant, by far. Other favs include Polished Tavern, D'Corazon, Osteria Marco, La Loma, Cherry Cricket.

STL by far. Husband would sell everything we own & his left foot to be able to move back to Germany.

Chicagoland, husband is from upstate NY.

Nope, although we intend to at some point.

A lot. We get free tix to an absurd number of baseball games, which is great bc we love baseball. Not into basketball, and football is a bit too much $$. Work got too busy for hockey this year. I avoid soccer so that I don't have to hear about how terrible US soccer teams are from my hubby.

Both husband and I have steady employment (we moved here for a job promotion). My job is fine, husband is 100% miserable.

For us, it's nearly all about cost of living. This place is too expensive and offers just about the same amentities as many mid-sized midwest cities that we have lived in/traveled to for work that are far cheaper. The exception to that is, of course, the Rocky Mountains, but we aren't crazy about the outdoors like most people who seek out this place are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver