Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 PM

14 posts, read 55,589 times

Advertisements

I come from a state where there are many trees, camping is not an occassion to freeze, water is plenty, and the beauty is captivating. I moved to Colorado almost 7 years ago. I tried desperately to find fun in nature close to our home in Highlands Ranch, just south of Denver. With 3 children, I need access to short daytrips. The type of nature I came from is nowhere to be found here unless you go into the Rockies which takes far too much time and then you might find yourself cold, even in the summer. Most of the things to do in Denver and around Denver cost quite a bit of money, especially with 3 children. The desert is dry, boring, and without the shade of trees, the sun is harsh and hurtful. Yes, for me and now for my children, it is definitely boring. But for someone only visiting and who enjoys tourism along with spending lots of money, I'm sure they will find themselves entertained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Yes...I agree with you. In almost 7 years, I've been unable to break into circles and make any close friends, although I've made many aquaintances. If I'd known then what I know now, I definitely would not have chosen this to be my home.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM

I'm so sorry...you will probably be bored.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemezzo View Post
I come from a state where there are many trees, camping is not an occassion to freeze, water is plenty, and the beauty is captivating. I moved to Colorado almost 7 years ago. I tried desperately to find fun in nature close to our home in Highlands Ranch, just south of Denver. With 3 children, I need access to short daytrips. The type of nature I came from is nowhere to be found here unless you go into the Rockies which takes far too much time and then you might find yourself cold, even in the summer. Most of the things to do in Denver and around Denver cost quite a bit of money, especially with 3 children. The desert is dry, boring, and without the shade of trees, the sun is harsh and hurtful. Yes, for me and now for my children, it is definitely boring. But for someone only visiting and who enjoys tourism along with spending lots of money, I'm sure they will find themselves entertained.
You...I...uh...

Why did you come here? You knew it wasn't going to be like where you came from, didn't you?

First off, and this is just my personal opinion, Highlands Ranch is the epitome of anywhere U.S.A. Boring-town. Dullsville.

Secondly, you ARE, however within about half an hour from Morrison, Red Rocks, Bear Creek Lake, Cherry Creek Reservoir, Castlewood Canyon...activities including hiking, camping, horseback riding, fishing, stargazing, geocaching, exploring local geology and fossils, identifying plants and animals, photography, hunting, rafting, biking, climbing, Sunday driving...

Additionally, you are on the edge of Denver, Colorado! Typically shouldn't take you longer than 45 minutes to get downtown. Roughly once a month there are free days at the Denver Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Denver Art Museum and the Museum of Nature and Science. There are festivals or events of some nature, often with little or no cost, almost every weekend between April and November. Downtown has the 16th Street Mall to walk down (with pianos to play on), the Millennium Bridge, Union Station, the Capitol, the Denver Mint, Molly Brown House, D&F Tower, Denver Library and the Performing Arts Center. Nearby there are events in Civic Center Park, summer features weekend movies in Skyline Park, there is taking a dip in the summertime in the South Platte at Confluence Park, a free skateboarding park just a short walk downstream in the Central Platte Valley, the Platte Valley Trolley, the Denver Aquarium, the Children's Museum, REI (and numerous rock gyms and adventure type places all around town), the Cherry Creek bike path, trains, trains, trains, at least three major venues staging four major sporting teams, Elitch Gardens (and Lakeside a few miles west)...Not far from downtown you could feed the birds at City Park, picnic at Cheesman Park, jog Washington Park, sled Commons Park or even visit the Butterfly Pavillion...you could take a walk down Old South Gaylord, South Pearl Street, Highlands Square or 29th Street at Stapleton (and stop by Central Park while you're at it for the kids), visit Wings Over The Rockies at Lowry, do the "Cherry Creek Mall Thing", get ice cream at Bonnie Brae (I may not like it much, but other people swear by it), watch a film at Elvis or the Mayan, catch a band at the Ogden, the Bluebird, Paramount, Swallow Hill Music, the Walnut Room, Lion's Lair (if you're into dives) or Mercury Cafe (or maybe even catch a band in a park.)

(big breath)

You could eat out at Beau-Jos, grab frozen custard from Good Times, meat out at Buckhorn Exchange, get French at Crepes and Crepes, drink beer at Great Divide Tap Room, Scruffy Murphy's, Appaloosa, take out your significant other for a night on the town at the Corner Office or Lanny's Cabaret, or date lunch at LoDo's or Paris on the Platte. How about taking the kids to a music store on South Broadway, or maybe a theatre / vintage clothing tour through Flossy McGrews? Have I mentioned Casa Bonita? Some of the most fun and worst food you could possibly have!

You're an hour from Colorado Springs and Boulder, two hours from Fort Collins and Pueblo, near Pikes Peak (America the Beautiful?), dozens of quaint and interesting little mountain towns, free tours of Coors, Redstone Meadery, Stranahan's Whiskey and Celestial Seasonings Tea, free as in cheap street performers (particularly on 16th St in Denver and Pearl St. in Boulder), take the fast food tour of Colorado based chain restaurants (including Noodles and Co, Qdoba, Good Times and Chipotle, and yes there are many more), visit the graves of Alferd Packer and Buffalo Bill, the Flatirons, Mother Cabrini's Shrine or The Great Stupa of Dharmakay, Rocky Mountain National Park, see the Great Divide (and teach your kids a little something about geography), Hanging Lake, Bishop Castle, drive up Mt. Evans, see the Maroon Bells, fearlessly brave the Million Dollar Highway, spend a long weekend adventuring in Grand Junction, Moab or Durango, climb our country's highest sand dunes, catch a flight into or out of the conspiracy tinged, technology tangled, culturally bizarre Denver International Airport, drive up Poudre Canyon or find out what truly barren places are like and get north of Laramie, Wyoming...or take a vacation up in Jackson Hole, explore all the various public art and architecture and neighborhoods and mountains, desert and plains towns, go skiing, snowboard or snowshoeing...

I don't know where you're from. We're not New York, Seattle, London, Paris or Washington DC...but I got to tell ya, if you're bored here, you're doing it wrong. Open up your mind a little, relax, and start seeing that there's more than one kind of captivating beauty...and way more to do (way closer) than you could possibly know.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-28-2017 at 06:22 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 AM

38 posts, read 170,897 times
So what is the nightlife like? if it seems to be a dry place socially, how is downtown nightclubs/bars/shopping/single scene?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Only boring people get bored.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
There's nothing to do here.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM

I did know, yet I didn't know. I had people telling me all kinds of things that were positive, however I failed to notice that they were from even colder states with even less of the sort of nature I enjoy. I moved so my husband could further pursue his career. In one way I made a good decision, in another I made a decision I will always regret.

You mention many options that cost lots of money, especially for a family of 5. All options connected to Denver are pretty much that which is why I mentioned tourism and spending money. Have you been to the zoo on free day? It's a nightmare and the drive is terrrible. Trust me, if it's been an option in Denver, I've done it, spent the money, and have found that it isn't worth it. Even the Children's Museum is less than...but I come from a place with 3 different children geared museums within a 45 minute drive that are all very, very good museums. Most everything else is a money pit.

The outdoor options you mention are also limiting. What gets me is the water areas that are determined to be lakes. Where I am from, these lakes would be illegal to put a boat on due to size. The trees are lacking. Unless you keep your head cranked to the west, there is not much to see. I'm used to finding things like a small waterfall, larger waterfall, or even a cave at the end of a hike. Mesa Verde is fun in that regard, but much too far away. Even the nature locations cost money...I'm amazed at all the unexpected costs. We tried to go camping 3 times, froze all 3 and even had to fight golf-ball sized hail all night on one trip. I think for people who haven't experienced a really great outdoor experience without having to drive and drive, Colorado is good. For others, like me, Colorado is insanely dissappointing. I think it is comical that it is called 'colorful Colorado' because, indeed, it is not.

Colorado is a big disappointment...for me and many others I've known who are lucky enough to have moved back to their original homes. If I could, trust me, I would do the same.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 AM

70 posts, read 166,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Only boring people get bored.
Yes! Does anyone watch Mad Men?

"Go bang your head against the wall. Only boring people get bored." ~Betty Draper

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Seriously? You've never been bored in your entire HUMAN life? You must not be a human. Bored is a normal feeling for any human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver