Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:25 PM

71 posts, read 111,583 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

Going threw allll these post, the most re-occurring theme stated for new comers is...."live by where you work".

Duly noted....However, my hubby has his little heart set on living in Evergreen. He will be working downtown on 17th and I'm a converted domestic engineer , so no issues on my side.

Honestly, is it really that bad of a commute? I understand when it snows, its a bear, but he has the flexibility with his job, if its to difficult to make it in the office, he can work from home...no biggie.

He would have to be in the office about 7-7:30 and would leave between 3:30-4:30 pm. We are moving from Houston Texas, where his present commute time is 45mins-1 1/2 hrs, one way, so a 30-45 min commute for him would be totally worth it if he could live in Evergreen.

Is it really that bad? Do any of you guys make that commute to DT?

How about getting around town? we both have 4x4

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Commuting from the Evergreen area to DT Denver, your husband will be one of many in the rush hours each day.

It's not a terrible commute by the area norms, but count on most of an hour each way at those times of the day, depending upon where he's originating in Evergreen and what parking arrangement is made in DT Denver. That, of course, is in good weather with normal rush hour traffic. Be aware that at certain times of the year, "sun slowing" of traffic happens Eastbound in the AM heading into the sunrise and low sun angles blinding traffic.

Wintertime commuting will be dependent upon the storm fronts, snowfall amounts, how close to the start of the AM commute the storm continues dropping snow, icing conditions, etc. On most days in an average year, it might add up to a matter of a few minutes extra time to commute. On some days, it could double the commute time. As long as there isn't a storm in progress during the day, by afternoon the sunshine may have done a lot of clearing of the roads ... but one must still be careful in the shaded portions of the road, especially in the mountain areas.

Having the flexibility to work from home on the bad snow/traffic days will be a plus. One less vehicle to clog up the roads at the time.

Your 4x4's will do well most of the time, but you'll rarely encounter deep snow as a problem unless you're in a subdivision or rural area that doesn't have much in the way of snow removal when prudent to do so. The Denver area relies heavily on natural melting to clear many streets. The more frequent concern will be ice-slick surfaces.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:54 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,427,778 times
What about Golden? Then light Rail is an option.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:07 PM

369 posts, read 966,285 times
I know several folks who live up in Evergreen, Conifer, Bailey, etc. and all commute daily to Downtown Denver. They generally avoid peak traffic hours and can work from home on occasional days. Basically the commute sucks compared to the average Denver commute, but living up in the mountains makes it worthwhile for some people. Those folks seem to like space and privacy.

I also know a few folks who've tried it up there, hated it, and moved back closer in. The drive and lack of city amenities wasn't worth the view to them. One relative I have with a newborn got really sick of the one way 30 minute drive to a grocery store...she forgot diapers a few times and that was it...

Old 10-02-2014, 04:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
What about Golden? Then light Rail is an option.
Or, he could drive to the light rail, and take it in the rest of the way.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:44 PM

403 posts, read 759,339 times
Or you can live in Evergreen and be 5 minutes from a major grocery store, have a wonderful community when you want it, privacy when you want it, gorgeous scenery, great outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, ice skating on the lake, snowshoeing, highly rated schools from elementary through high school, low property taxes, elbow room, and fresh air.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
I say go for it. Sounds like you are going in with eyes open. He won't be the only one. Plenty of people do it.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 PM

6,792 posts, read 9,344,447 times
I have co-workers who live in Evergreen and Conifer and I work downtown. The co-workers have EcoPasses and use the RTD Express Buses to Civic Center station. They don't seem to mind the commute and they work from home when it snows or the weather is bad.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,250 times
When I lived up there, I always made it from downtown to Evergreen (at least the Evergreen Parkway exit) in less than 30 minutes unless there was crazy weather that day, but I wasn't commuting during rush hour. The real determining factor is how close you are to I -70 or 285. If you live in Hiwan, it's no time at all. If you live way up Brook Forest or somewhere like that it can double your commute. But it is definitely worth it.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:25 PM

71 posts, read 111,583 times
Great, thanks for the advice! Looks like we are going to take a serious look at that option.

One question tho, we've looked on a several real estate websites and it seems like there are a lot of homes for sale in Evergreen, they have been on the market for longs periods of time and deeply reduced from the original asking price.

Now this is great for us if we decide to go that route, but could be a rough resale market. Any incite on the area or why the houses have been marketed down so drastically?

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver