Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Oh wonderful, another person from Chicago to tell us how mild it is here. Now you KNOW you're living in a paradise when someone from Chicago says it's mild.

My car was ruined the other day also.
Yeah, but you are part of the above average based on some of your previous posts so you should be able to get your car fixed or get a new car.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 AM

133 posts, read 149,527 times
Default Whaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Yeah, but you are part of the above average based on some of your previous posts so you should be able to get your car fixed or get a new car.
What does this mean??????

Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
I'm from Los Angeles and I agree with the Chicago person, the weather here is mild. Sucks about your car. My roof was destroyed by hail. But that's why we have insurance. At least now you can get a new car
But I really truly from the bottom of my heart do not get it when someone from LA says the winter is mild here in Denver. Doesn't make sense to me at all. And this is the stuff I listened to before I finally moved only to find, that in my opinion, the winter is not mild in the slightest. What are you comparing Denver to when you say it is mild?

Old 07-18-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailelsa View Post
What does this mean??????
Nick can't be taken seriously on here. Most of his posts are done to elicit a reaction for his amusement.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
But I really truly from the bottom of my heart do not get it when someone from LA says the winter is mild here in Denver. Doesn't make sense to me at all. And this is the stuff I listened to before I finally moved only to find, that in my opinion, the winter is not mild in the slightest. What are you comparing Denver to when you say it is mild?
For me I have nothing to compare it to except San Diego. Mild is all in the eye of the beholder. To me it is mild here after I talk to people that came from Wisconsin or places similar to that. I had people tell me I wouldn't last 6 months in Colorado because they thought it was like Wisconsin. 17 years later I am still here and I like it.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 AM

75 posts, read 171,750 times
Quote:
I think this is the answer to the other persons post. Don't think it gets much deeper than that. Just like 90 degrees and 80% humidity might feel good to some and not to others. Don't think we're getting anywhere debating peoples interpretation of "mild". It's like comparing someones tolerance for hot sauce.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Most people understand that Denver has real winters. So any discussion of the weather is in that context. If you think it means that Denver has as mild winters as LA, then you are completely ignoring the underlying fact that Denver has winter weather and LA doesn't. It's not about which one is milder on an absolute scale because everyone knows LA is warm and sunny most of the time and doesn't have a real winter, and that Denver gets cold and snowy every single year. The comparison is only meaningful when it's against other places that also get cold and snowy.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 PM

emm74 - yes, I think you hit it. Although for me - my idea of a mild winter (being from Philly) was a place like Virginia Beach. Now, with that said, I knew Denver would not be like Virginia Beach at all, but I also thought it wouldn't be like Flagstaff, AZ (which is also very sunny and the snow melts in the sun - but it is very cold at night and snows ALOT). I jumped from a burning boat (Phoenix) into the Arctic Ocean (Denver) - haha!! Anyway, please don't analyze that to closely - it is just what it feels like.

I think I thought it would be more like Prescott, AZ or Page, AZ... higher elevations, but still crazy sunny, warm and little snow. I know this sounds crazy, but I really believed people when they said that the snow is gone by afternoon (bc often in Philly it was - it didn't stick most of the time). And, that one rarely had to deal with it.

I truly thought I understood what a "real winter" was, but I think that term is relative too. People in North Carolina think they experience a "real winter" there too. Nonetheless, i think this thread is great because it discusses how where someone is from color how they perceive winter in Denver.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:00 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Most people understand that Denver has real winters. So any discussion of the weather is in that context. If you think it means that Denver has as mild winters as LA, then you are completely ignoring the underlying fact that Denver has winter weather and LA doesn't. It's not about which one is milder on an absolute scale because everyone knows LA is warm and sunny most of the time and doesn't have a real winter, and that Denver gets cold and snowy every single year. The comparison is only meaningful when it's against other places that also get cold and snowy.

I agree with emm74 (as I often do, LOL). I'm not from Southern California, but I was raised in what can best be described as a subtropical climate (Houston) and am back living there again. I lived in Denver from 2012-15, and several other places prior to that, all of which had some varying degree of "real" winters. I expected Denver to have harsher winters than those locations, and it did, but Denver's winters were still very manageable. And, when I thought of what winter entailed, I never compared Denver to the Gulf Coast, but rather, other locations that have some cold and snowy weather each year.

Moreover, I've always thought of a location's climate in terms of year round, so I was able to remember that for all the snowy days in Denver, I would be rewarded with beautiful summers and a lovely fall, something I don't have where I live now.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:16 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
5. Disagree. I care about both plants and "greenness". There are plants in Denver. I have beautiful peonies, clematis, hostas, lilies in my yard and I enjoy my membership at the Botanic Garden. I understand that there are some things I can't grow here. It's the price I pay for low humidity and bug population. I'm ok with that. When I start to question that compromise, all I need to do is travel to a lush, green part of the country for a few days in July or August. I get over it pretty quickly.
But gardening is SOOOOO much better in other places. My grandparents place in northern Wisconsin continually blows me away with how fast, big and how many things they can grow. It's magnitudes better than here, without hail and frost and May snow and 70F January days.

I think Denver has an average climate though with this thread having a selection bias of posters who moved here because they like the climate here. It's unique, but has about as many pros and cons as other places (with the upper midwest being the definition of worse). I think if you took 5000 random US people and dropped them here for 3 years, I don't think we'd rate much higher than say Kentucky or Pennsylavania or Arizona or Idaho.

The hail is another example of something I think a lot of people don't expect or know about till it happens, and in that way people can be a bit misguided about some of the cons that exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver