Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 PM

245 posts, read 324,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
I think you're missing the point. Denver has about 3 weeks of inventory on the market and can muster around 6-10% gains.

San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York can muster better gains with FAR more inventory.

Denver inventory will only rise from these unprecedented low levels. How do you think you'll maintain gains when the market has become addicted to 1 month or less inventory?

If interest rates rise, how do you think that will affect the market? You think the dual increase of rates and prices will hold? Doubling the rate of increase of monthly payments?
He's a realtor, of course he wants to believe prices are just going to keep going up, up, up. Most of us realize the current trajectory is unsustainable and prices are going to level off. IMO this is starting to happen now, I don't foresee a collapse but I could see a couple of years of very minimal or no appreciation.

Clearly you think Denver sucks but a lot of people enjoy it here and while it could be argued houses are overpriced (I'm in this category), we aren't headed for a Phoenix or Vegas-style tumble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:02 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,573,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
He's a realtor, of course he wants to believe prices are just going to keep going up, up, up. Most of us realize the current trajectory is unsustainable and prices are going to level off. IMO this is starting to happen now, I don't foresee a collapse but I could see a couple of years of very minimal or no appreciation.

Clearly you think Denver sucks but a lot of people enjoy it here and while it could be argued houses are overpriced (I'm in this category), we aren't headed for a Phoenix or Vegas-style tumble.
The question is no t whether or not the current trajectory is sustainable. Nobody in their right mind is saying that. It's whether or not we are setting a new normal baseline or whether there is a bubble that is going to burst. It's important that people understand the difference in these conversations.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:23 PM

325 posts, read 372,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The question is no t whether or not the current trajectory is sustainable. Nobody in their right mind is saying that. It's whether or not we are setting a new normal baseline or whether there is a bubble that is going to burst. It's important that people understand the difference in these conversations.
I think you nailed it here, SkyDog. This is the essence of the problem. Nobody knows for sure which way this will go. And it's making me crazy trying to figure out what to do.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:53 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,573,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
I think you nailed it here, SkyDog. This is the essence of the problem. Nobody knows for sure which way this will go. And it's making me crazy trying to figure out what to do.
Yes. I go back to this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/40303389-post29.html

Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 PM

471 posts, read 601,276 times
For the record, I actually like Denver quite a bit, I really liked it 5 years ago when I thought it was one of the best values in America. I like many things about the place. I just am sad to see some Coloradans get so smug in regards to real estate.

Coloradans used to be more practical, now they just think that double digit gains are the "new normal"

Smuggery is usually a signal that a market is headed to or already in bubble territory.

Asking buyers to write love letters to the seller is another signal.

High prices at rock bottom interest rates indicate a high risk prices will stagnate or decline when rates rise.

Denver has an infinite amount of flat build-able land around it. It is not San Francisco, it is not San Diego, it is not New York City. I live in Newport Beach, so Denver is quite cheap to what I'm used to, but I get angry when I see good people and families hurt by greed and smugness. My friends are considering leaving CO because they can sell their house and get coastal CA living in Orange County for a similar price, with the infinite amenities that it offers and its goldilocks weather.

However, many Denver realtors would like you to believe that "there runnin' outta' land in Denver". Except for the fact that there is a million square miles of flat land 180 degrees around Denver. San Francisco, that's running of out land. Denver, ummm not so much.

Denver is a great place to live, but at these valuations, its a bit too smug for its own good and it's hurting good people.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 07-06-2015 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 05:31 AM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Default Focus on what is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Denver has an infinite amount of flat build-able land around it.
Infinite amount? Yes.
Flat? - Yes.
Buildable? - No.

Water is the controlling factor.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 AM

776 posts, read 1,064,344 times
S Holland Street, Littleton CO, 80128

Can anyone give insight to this area. It is in the Chatfield High school zone, over off Ken Caryl Ave and S Kipling Parkway

We found a couple of homes there, but dont know a whole lot and could really use a non-realtor opinion of the area and please be open and blunt! I can handle it.

Feel free to Private message me if you are worried about offending others. I just need a truthful opinion if its a dumpy area or nice.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Statement #4 can be fully true only in the absence of a HOA. With a HOA you are doomed :-(
It is a valid point. There are stricter HOAs and some that are more hands off in the affairs of homeowners. It is up to the potential buyer to educate him/herself in the type of HOA the buyer could be dealing with.

I chose to avoid HOAs altogether and buy a SFH in a regular neighborhood (Park Hill) because I didn't want to deal with these issues exactly. Not saying all of them are bad, and they certainly have their benefits, but for me it was the best decision at the time.

Edit: I realize another issue with this crazy market is that as a buyer you don't actually have the time to do the research and make an educated decision. It is IMO a valid reason to sit out the market, and is an unfortunate reality of a sellers' market

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 07-07-2015 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
S Holland Street, Littleton CO, 80128

Can anyone give insight to this area. It is in the Chatfield High school zone, over off Ken Caryl Ave and S Kipling Parkway

We found a couple of homes there, but dont know a whole lot and could really use a non-realtor opinion of the area and please be open and blunt! I can handle it.

Feel free to Private message me if you are worried about offending others. I just need a truthful opinion if its a dumpy area or nice.
pretty clean very suburban conservative area

I wouldn't call any part of Littleton "dumpy" it is just very bland

Old 07-07-2015, 07:33 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,979 times
I find it funny when people who live in the most smug state of all have an issue with other states' "smugness".... as if only CA can be the best place to live, as long as you don't need water of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver