Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 18,143 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I just joined the Air Force and Buckley AFB is my first assignment. Currently still at tech school, but will be moving there in the spring with my husband and dog. We are mid-20s, but not concerned with young urban lifestyle. We're more outdoorsy. I've been researching housing, but it seems that everywhere near Buckley in Aurora is "sketchy."

We plan on renting. I want to live in a safe neighborhood, but don't want to have to drive more than 25 mins one way. I know how the winters can be there. Also, I've heard that south of 470 is nice, but 470 is a toll road right?

Can anyone give me advice on safe neighborhood to live in with a decent commute that doesn't involve the toll road? Or is the toll road pretty reasonable when commuting every day? Not really picky, just want to feel safe walking my dog etc.

Advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 10:31 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
There are a lot of places near Buckley that won't involve toll roads and are safe. Most of these will fall in the zip codes 80013, 80014, and 80015. A lot of places in the 80012 zip code are safe as well (I just recently moved from that area due to needing a bigger place than what I had there and wanting to be closer to both mine and my sister's jobs.) 80016 is nice, but it'd probably be more expensive and more of a drive in most cases. And 470 is a toll road on that side of town, yes. (It's only not a toll west of I-25 on the south side of the Denver Metro Area.)

I think most people consider Mississippi Avenue the 'dividing line' between safe/not safe in Aurora (but that's not strictly true, in my personal experience.)

You didn't say if you plan to have kids or not--if you do, bear in mind that some of Aurora in in the Aurora Public School District, and some of it's in Cherry Creek School District. You'd want to try to get your kids into the latter, if you can.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:44 AM

Default Great to know!

That is really helpful! I will look into those zip codes and tailor my search. We are from St. Louis, so we can handle areas that are a stone's throw away from "unsafe" neighborhoods. It's just so difficult when you know nothing about an area. THANKS!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:51 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklemonrade View Post
That is really helpful! I will look into those zip codes and tailor my search. We are from St. Louis, so we can handle areas that are a stone's throw away from "unsafe" neighborhoods. It's just so difficult when you know nothing about an area. THANKS!

I grew up in the St. Louis area, so I know what you mean.

BTW, there's a restaurant in Arvada where you can get St. Louis style pizza and toasted ravioli, should you need a fix.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:56 PM

214 posts, read 260,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklemonrade View Post
Hey everyone! I just joined the Air Force and Buckley AFB is my first assignment. Currently still at tech school, but will be moving there in the spring with my husband and dog. We are mid-20s, but not concerned with young urban lifestyle. We're more outdoorsy. I've been researching housing, but it seems that everywhere near Buckley in Aurora is "sketchy."

We plan on renting. I want to live in a safe neighborhood, but don't want to have to drive more than 25 mins one way. I know how the winters can be there. Also, I've heard that south of 470 is nice, but 470 is a toll road right?

Can anyone give me advice on safe neighborhood to live in with a decent commute that doesn't involve the toll road? Or is the toll road pretty reasonable when commuting every day? Not really picky, just want to feel safe walking my dog etc.

Advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
I moved here from Milwaukee a few years ago with the same concerns. I have found that the "sketchy" areas of Denver are equal in crime to the nice parts of Milwaukee. There is no hood here like there is in all of the rust belt cities.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:40 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Many folks at Buckley live in SE Aurora (Southlands area) zip codes 80016 and 80015 and commute up Gun Club Rd to Jewell. It's a very easy commute (around 25 mins) and the toll road isn't really necessary unless you feel safer on a big road when the snow is bad. It's more expensive than other parts of Aurora, but worth checking out. There are probably at least 5 apartment complexes in the area, as well as condos and townhomes being rented out by their owners. It is a very suburban area, very safe and family-friendly. If you take E-470 west from this area, its a very quick trip to I-25 south of Denver and then into the city on weekends.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 PM

555 posts, read 595,038 times
There are plenty of decent neighborhoods south of Buckley AFB. I live near Mexico and Buckley in 80017, probably 10 minutes from the base entrance. I've lived here for 26 years and have never felt unsafe. There's a greenbelt nearby for walking and a couple of good dog parks.

Happy house hunting and good luck!

Old 12-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Thank you! So it sounds like as long as I stay south of Buckley, we should be fine as far as housing. I guess I'll just have to combine photos with reviews to find a good apartment. Thank you for all the comments!

Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 PM

555 posts, read 595,038 times
More or less, yes.

P.S. Buckley is both the name of the AFB and a street that runs north-south.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:47 PM

112 posts, read 140,903 times
That area is not sketchy at all.

If you're looking at apartments I would check out Aspen Ridge. I visited friends who lived there several times, went swimming, etc. and they were really nice.

I lived at the Sunchase apartments on Mississippi & Tower in 2011, and while the area felt safe, my particular unit was a nightmare. It looks like they've been updated maybe, but I only lasted 3 months before I broke the lease and found something nicer. Granted I was a 19 year old girl and maybe a little silly, but some of my co workers had issues too. I lost my license for 6 months and had to take the bus to work a few times and was fine walking around though. My then boyfriend also had a heavily modded car, and the very sensitive alarm was never even triggered.

We had a tiny puppy who had to go potty at midnight though, and never felt unsafe. The worst thing was the thunderstorms and noise from the AFB.

I think anything you find that is nearby will probably be okay. If you're into outdoorsy stuff there's the Highline Canal here. We lived in apartments right next to it, and would often take long walks with our dog down it. There are lots of bicyclists and joggers who use it too.

Actually, both of my next door neighbors at those apartments worked at Buckley too. A nice young couple, and a nice young guy. The Westridge Apartments. They're on 6th & Chambers. I lived there in 2012, they were nice then, but have been renovated further. Both my husband and I really liked it there. It's also not a bad drive to downtown, but is maybe 5 minutes from the North side of the base. (Not sure where employees actually enter though)

There's actually a few nice apartments in the area. The Breakers are really nice, we have a few friends who live there, but they are or were more expensive. I would just look around in your budget for what looks nice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to live further South / SE if just renting, and if you don't have children. If you do I would though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver