Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Denver county repeal it's open carry ban?
Yes 19 41.30%
No 27 58.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:52 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I want to debate, and you want to argue. Both are completely different. People debate to state their differences in opinion, arguing is when somebody want to win the debate.
Dude, a debate is when opposing arguments are presented- a component common to a debate is a period where the opposing sides can poke holes in each others arguments.

If you want a debate where people merely talk w/o refuting each other, than this is not the place for that.

Anyway, your opinion thus far is fairly weak based upon your argument. I don't see the need for long-rifles to be bared upon one's shoulders in downtown Denver.

Just admit it, you can't debate. There's nothing wrong with not being able to debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:56 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If I go into a business or am walking down the street and see someone carrying a guy, hell yeah I'm getting outta there! How on earth do I know what the gun holder's intentions are? How do I know if he's a "good guy" or someone about to start mowing people down? Open carry is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of
If I see someone carrying a guy, I might ask if he's ok and if he needs help carrying this guy somewhere, or check to see if the guy he's carrying wants to be carried but that's just me

- sorry obviously I know what you meant, but couldn't resist ...

Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 PM

556 posts, read 763,346 times
Quote:
If I go into a business or am walking down the street and see someone carrying a guy, hell yeah I'm getting outta there! How on earth do I know what the gun holder's intentions are? How do I know if he's a "good guy" or someone about to start mowing people down? Open carry is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I see a person with a gun and have no idea what that person plans to do. He may be just a guy getting a sandwich or a lady about to unload 12 rounds in to a crowd. In either situation, I'm out or there.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:44 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I see a person with a gun and have no idea what that person plans to do. He may be just a guy getting a sandwich or a lady about to unload 12 rounds in to a crowd. In either situation, I'm out or there.
Which is why I want to ban concealed carry and force open carry.
Average people do not get riled up about guns, but the gunnuts do.
I think forcing open carry would incite the average voters to consider/support a significant reduction in guns.
And, yes, that means taking people's guns away from them.
You want to own a gun, then join the National Guard.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:45 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Read this and decide for yourself.

The Pro Liberty Choice: Dispelling The Myths Of Open Carry | The Daily Caller

Old 01-28-2016, 03:46 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Denver should repeal its ban on open carry if, and only if, the citizens of Denver vote to repeal the ban. Living in Northglenn does not give you the right to tell Denverites what they should or should not do. Conversely, living in Denver does not give Denverites the right to tell Northglennians (Northglennites? Northglenners? Nortegleños?) what they should or should not do.

If the ban stays, and you don't like it, don't live or visit Denver.

It's that simple.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Denver should repeal its ban on open carry if, and only if, the citizens of Denver vote to repeal the ban. Living in Northglenn does not give you the right to tell Denverites what they should or should not do. Conversely, living in Denver does not give Denverites the right to tell Northglennians (Northglennites? Northglenners? Nortegleños?) what they should or should not do.

If the ban stays, and you don't like it, don't live or visit Denver.

It's that simple.
You know what ? That is the most thoughtful and reasonable response yet. The first half at least

Honestly I have the same problem with the left wing anti gun liberals as I do with the 2nd amendment ; shall not be infringed right wing conservatives. They both speak out of ignorance and refuse to see the other side of the coin.

You are quite right - Denver should repeal the open carry ban if and only if its voters vote to repeal it. There are no absolutes here

Old 01-28-2016, 04:21 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
And a counterpoint from an equally dubious publication that is equally deviod of fact:

Three Reasons it?s Better to Conceal Carry than Open Carry | Self-Sufficiency

Now if we would push for further research into gun violence, we could probably get some data-driven answers as to whether concealed-carry or open-carry is the more effective method to deter and mitigate crime against a person. But that's not going to happen:

Fight to end gun research ban fizzles | TheHill

Old 01-28-2016, 04:30 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Or I could just come up behind you and neutralize the threat. I already know you're armed and now have the advantage.

If you open carry you're instantly identified as a threat by an aggressor and lose any element of surprise in your response. Plus, I'm not sure how much of a deterrent factor open carry is compared to concealed carry- I personally don't think it is.
Yes, that is a possibility, however, the premise of open carry is that you make the aggressor avoid you as a target, therefore avoiding the confrontation entirely. Its a visual deterrent, no different than an armed guard sitting in the bank lobby. If they are cranked up enough to attacked an armed individual, odds are pretty good they were going to go after you anyway.

Quote:
If I go into a business or am walking down the street and see someone carrying a guy, hell yeah I'm getting outta there! How on earth do I know what the gun holder's intentions are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I see a person with a gun and have no idea what that person plans to do.

100% of the people I have ever encountered in open carry situations were law abiding citizens going about their business with no nefarious purpose.

If there are 70 million gun owners out there and there were 350 mass shootings last year, mass being more than 4 persons wounded or killed, your odds of being involved in a mass shooting would seem to be somewhere around .000005% I think your odds of being struck by lightning are better than being shot by your average gun owner.

Last edited by TCHP; 01-28-2016 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 06:11 PM

556 posts, read 763,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Yes, that is a possibility, however, the premise of open carry is that you make the aggressor avoid you as a target, therefore avoiding the confrontation entirely. Its a visual deterrent, no different than an armed guard sitting in the bank lobby. If they are cranked up enough to attacked an armed individual, odds are pretty good they were going to go after you anyway.

100% of the people I have ever encountered in open carry situations were law abiding citizens going about their business with no nefarious purpose.

If there are 70 million gun owners out there and there were 350 mass shootings last year, mass being more than 4 persons wounded or killed, your odds of being involved in a mass shooting would seem to be somewhere around .000005% I think your odds of being struck by lightning are better than being shot by your average gun owner.
Telling me the unlikely odds of me being gunned down by someone walking around with a gun aren't all that comforting when I'm dead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver