Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,643 times

Advertisements

Here is a bit more about our situation:

We are mid 30s with two elementary age boys. Good Public schools are important, as well as a neighborhood that is community where they can play outside with other kids.

If we move, my husband will commute to Commerce City daily for work.

We prefer a Single Family home in close proximity to churches, shopping, restaurants, etc.

Budget - $350,000 to $450,000

Current home is all brick with hickory hardwood, SS appliances, granite and travertine counters.

Also, would you kindly include average commute times in your suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 09:30 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I would stay north of Denver - what makes a school "good" is subjective. Totally up to you.

If you decide on the school, the house will find you.

How comfortable are you driving in snow?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
The Stapletonion: Think Globally, Laugh Locally

Old 03-29-2016, 09:46 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
My understanding is that schools within Commerce City itself aren't that great, but that could have changed so I'd definitely research that thoroughly. I think that the Reunion section is supposed to be pretty nice. It's definitely a fit in terms of your price range, including the types of finishes you are describing.

I think Thornton schools are decent? Also a good commuting distance and your price point fits.

Stapleton would also provide a very good commute and what you are looking for in a house. Your budget is on the low side but you could get something within your range, esp. if you are willing to consider a paired home (side by side duplex with individual ownership). Commute would be good esp. from the North Stapleton area (Conservatory Green, Willow Park East, etc). Very strong neighborhood feel with lots of public parks and kids outside playing, etc.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I would stay north of Denver - what makes a school "good" is subjective. Totally up to you.

If you decide on the school, the house will find you.

How comfortable are you driving in snow?
hahaha... Did I mention I was born and raised in the Southeast? We get a dusting and schools shut down for the day.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:15 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,805 times
Stapleton is the shortest commute. You might look at Arvada or Westminster/Broomfield as alternatives.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:07 PM

42 posts, read 57,695 times
Commerce city represents a fairly large area, so whether he is on the North or South side may make some difference. As 2bindenver puts it, definitely stay on the North side of town, as traffic gets heaviest trying to cross Denver from either the North or South during rush hour.

It's a little farther out than some have mentioned, but Brighton has quite a bit of new developments, and its distance makes it a bit more affordable. Not sure about the school situation out there.

Stapleton, as others have mentioned, is closer to Denver, and has several new developments going in.

You mentioned that you were looking to an area with good schools, and a neighbourhood feel where the kids could go outside. Commerce city proper encompasses a wide area of largely industrial land, with scattered housing throughout. North Denver is quite dense, though it does have some nice areas with parks and such. It is only looking out toward Thornton, Brighton, or possibly Westminster that you get the quieter "cul-de-sac" style neighbourhoods. (I say maybe Westminster, because the trip across I-25 on US-36 and I-270 can get long during rush hour, but if he's more on the West side, this may be a non issue)

Old 03-29-2016, 08:46 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
The new part of Commerce City, Reunion (centered around 104th & Chambers) is pretty nice and has plenty of new homes in your price range; it's not anything at all like the old industrial part of Commerce City that gives the city its name and bad reputation. It's part of the Brighton school district (which isn't the best either, but it's a completely different and better district than Adams City which is the old Commerce City). I would at least seriously investigate it as an option. Brighton may also be worth looking into.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:11 AM

245 posts, read 323,688 times
As others have mentioned, Northfield Stapleton or the Reunion area are probably your best bets. I recently moved to the Reunion area and you get WAY more bang for your buck house wise, but the amenities (shopping, restaurants) are pretty limited. I believe this will improve over the next few years with all the building going on.

From my understanding the elementary schools in/near Reunion are very good, but the high school (Brighton 27J) not so much.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,700 times
My husband and I live in Broomfield. He commutes to Commerce City every day for work. The drive is about 30-45 minutes (during rush hour) depending upon traffic and weather. People tend to drive very slow here when it rains and the commute in snow is an absolute nightmare regardless of where you live. The reason we choose west of 25 is for the easy access to the mountains, communities, and shopping. Broomfield is a great family friendly community that is partially in the Boulder Valley School District. Commerce City is improving, but it still smells terrible and has a large amount of air pollution due to the nearby Suncor Refinery. Also, it is not the safest city in the Denver metro. I would definitely recommend west of 25 or the northern Thornton area.

Just a side note make sure to visit Stapleton before buying. That area is very nice, but it is also very Stepford Wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver