Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,065 times

Advertisements

I am a single father renting out a room in a basement here in Littleton. I was at a loss for words when the owner of the house currently living here wanted to add yet another person while also turning this into a construction zone without a permit. It is a 3 bedroom house. He added another room downstairs which I currently live in but is not registered or legal. I don't necessarily want to get him in trouble and I want to stay but he is trying to have somebody move in to the living area downstairs where I have all of my furniture and Tv including my son's toys and play area. I don't know what to do, this is not alright he's being greedy, he is a business owner and has another property renting out. I don't have the money to move or pay a deposit. Should I report him not paying taxes and renting illegally or just threaten him with it at least. Or should I let him walk all over everybody in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
I have no advice except to say that however this turns out, you are living in a very short term situation. Start looking very hard for alternatives immediately.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Move, then rat him out.
Document everything.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,065 times
I make $1350 an hour and have no money. No money for deposit or no money to move.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:33 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek180 View Post
I make $1350 an hour and have no money. No money for deposit or no money to move.
I'm sorry, but staying isn't a viable option. You need to come to terms with that. The sooner the better. Start planning for how to make this move happen.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:04 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Derek, either way you are going to be moving. If you report him for rental and/or construction without permit violations, he's going to get angry and evict you. You could just hang tight and make him go through the eviction process, which may take months, or get proactive and move out.

If he is renting out his basement illegally or doing work without a permit, you really should report him. If only to protect others that he may try to rent to in the future.

You didn't mention, but do you have a lease? Is there anything in there about what space you are renting and whether or not other tenants can be added?

Old 04-19-2016, 06:32 AM

352 posts, read 713,527 times
Look on Craigslist for rooms that specifically say something about there being other kids in the house, the new tenant must help out with child care, something along those lines. They'd be looking for another kid to move in. Maybe. You need to get out of your current living situation.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:08 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Expectations are everything. If you are renting illegally you shouldn't be surprised if he does other illegal stuff. If doing illegal things bothers you, don't rent illegally. You are part of this to. You are looking for the law to protect you. If you want that, find yourself a legal rental.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
You were given a lease that said something about your living area. Since your living area is being reduced, is your rent being reduced?

Tenant-Landlord Helpline Program | The Action Center

Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 AM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek180 View Post
PEP TALK/

While that is your CURRENT situation, you MUST not just give up and resign yourself to this fate. Stop restating the problem, focus ENTIRELY on the solution - and one will happen. This landlord isn't concerned about your situation, so you have to find one that will meet their contract. This exists, it is out there, YOU have to find it and make it happen. And YOU CAN! People upgrade their lives every day, and you can do it also.

\PEP TALK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver