Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 11:30 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Just because a lot of jobs can be done remotely doesn't mean that most companies allow that sort of flexibility. I've only worked at one company out of five that allowed me to work full-time from home. We're still a few years away (maybe longer) from companies adopting mass WFH policies.

People live near these places for the environment, amenities, and entertainment. Weather, sports, music, festivals, outdoor recreation year round, mass public transit, restaurants, breweries/distilleries.

Des Moines doesn't have much of any of these things and it's hot and humid in the summer. Minneapolis is a cool city, but it has a brutal winter for half the year. And it's also humid in the summer. If the things I mentioned didn't matter much, then people would be flocking to Detroit, where you can get really cheap real estate. At least Detroit has all the major sports teams and some cool music venues.

I agree that Denver's market is highly inflated right now. I think that will continue to fluctuate, as it's mostly a pass through city anyway. People come here and live for a bit, and then they move on to another cool spot or move back home. But let's not try to make it seem like Denver is some terrible place to live. I'd prefer it to almost every other place in the US besides the west coast.
I really don't think Denver is a pass through place. Everybody I know that have moved her have stayed including myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:39 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I really don't think Denver is a pass through place. Everybody I know that have moved her have stayed including myself.
Most of the young couples I know who are starting to think about and have children are having the discussion about living closer to the families they left in their early 20s to have fun here. I don't know for sure if it'll happen, but that has been my observation. As a transplant myself, I can't really say that I plan on being here in the next 5-10 years. I'm sure there will be other "boom" cities to arise in the not too distant future, just as there has always been.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Most of the young couples I know who are starting to think about and have children are having the discussion about living closer to the families they left in their early 20s to have fun here. I don't know for sure if it'll happen, but that has been my observation. As a transplant myself, I can't really say that I plan on being here in the next 5-10 years. I'm sure there will be other "boom" cities to arise in the not too distant future, just as there has always been.
If I could afford it I would move back to San Diego. I miss the ocean and it is my home town. That being said it is really awesome here.

Heck, if I could afford it we would move to Hawaii.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:17 PM
SQL

Quote:
If I could afford it I would move back to San Diego. I miss the ocean and it is my home town. That being said it is really awesome here.

Heck, if I could afford it we would move to Hawaii.
Coincidentally, SD is the top place on my list to move to. But, yeah, $$$.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:18 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Yes, it's priced appropriately for upper class Californians who are fleeing their over priced, over regulated Democratic state by the government. What they find cheap in Colorado is not cheap to other people who don't want to waste money on inflated prices for a small 1200 sq ft $350k+ 1950s ranch style bungalow in old Lakewood w/ decaying road infrastructure.

Colorado in another 30 years, will surely become a state for the rich and poor, where you have to 'better' yourself with a six figure job just to make ends meet because it's 'hip and cool'. All of it is clearly BS.
Colorado seems to be just as regulated as California on housing policy. It seems like Denver is huge on regulations as far as limits on unrelated people sharing homes, zoning and short-term rentals.

Its comical seeing this housing gold-rush in Colorado. I mean 350,000 dollars for a small house that right off the 6th avenue on-ramp sounds awful but I guess people will do anything to live in a stuffy, pretentious metropolitan area where the winter is cold and it snows in April and May.

California extreme housing prices are limited to San Diego, Orange County and the Bay Area.

There are still alot of areas in California that are cheaper then metro Denver like the Riverside/San Bernadino, Antolope Valley, Kern County and basically all of the San Joaquin valley.

Northern California in places like Yreka and Redding is fairly affordable also.

I love California myself and the liberal, elitest influence wears off fast once your away from the coast.
I like visiting the amenities, but if I ever move to California it would be Lancaster, Rosamond and Palmdale where it is friendly and very conservative.

I love how the heavily-democratic cities are adopting a much more aggressive pull yourself up by the bootstraps mentality then I have ever seen in super-conservative cities.

Liberal cities love to manufacture social problems. Liberal cities also have a vendetta against goods-producing, tangible industry and have cyclical economies except for their bloated, massive government with inefficient government workers.

It will be entertaining if there is another recession similar to 2008. The cities tend to usually get the worst of during national recession. Most cities have been floating massive bonds like crazy in the last few years, liberal big cities also have huge pension liabilities and they also have extremely bloated salaries for current employees.

The Democratic Mayor of Denver who is a career politician showed his parties stripes when he did his clean sweep of the homeless.

I have lived in many conservative cities where they just leave them alone.

I love when Limosine Liberals like Hancock do long-winded speeches on their cities homeless populations because of their over-zealous regulations one day and then do a clean, sleep of the homeless and throw their personal belongings away soon after.

I lived in Utah and Weber County in Utah which are filled with those compassionless Republicans yet only once in a blue moon did I see homeless and had very large middle-classes with lots of upward mobility.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-15-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 PM
SQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Colorado seems to be just as regulated as California on housing policy. It seems like Denver is huge on regulations as far as limits on unrelated people sharing homes, zoning and short-term rentals.

Its comical seeing this housing gold-rush in Colorado. I mean 350,000 dollars for a small house that right off the 6th avenue on-ramp sounds awful but I guess people will do anything to live in a stuffy, pretentious metropolitan area where the winter is cold and it snows in April and May.

California extreme housing prices are limited to San Diego, Orange County and the Bay Area.

There are still alot of areas in California that are cheaper then metro Denver like the Riverside/San Bernadino, Antolope Valley, Kern County and basically all of the San Joaquin valley.

Northern California in places like Yreka and Redding is fairly affordable also.

I love California myself and the liberal, elitest influence wears off fast once your away from the coast.
I like visiting the amenities, but if I ever move to California it would be Lancaster, Rosamond and Palmdale where it is friendly and very conservative.

I love how the heavily-democratic cities are adopting a much more aggressive pull yourself up by the bootstraps mentality then I have ever seen in super-conservative cities.

Liberal cities love to manufacture social problems. Liberal cities also have a vendetta against goods-producing, tangible industry and have cyclical economies except for their bloated, massive government with inefficient government workers.

The Democratic Mayor of Denver who a career politician showed his parties stripes when he did his clean sweep of the homeless.

I have lived in many conservative cities where they just leave them alone.

I love when Limosine Liberals like Hancock do long-winded speeches on their cities homeless populations because of their over-zealous regulations one day and then do a clean, sleep of the homeless and throw their personal belongings away soon after.

I lived in Utah and Weber County in Utah which are filled with those compassionless Republicans yet only once in a blue moon did I see homeless and had very large middle-classes with lots of upward mobility.
What do you propose that we do? I'm all for helping those homeless who are truly in need, but what Denver really has is a vagrant problem. These are runaways with serious drug problems. I was running the other day and a vagrant was ODing on the pathway. I called 911 and waited there till help came. The alley ways and bike paths now smell like a port-a-potty. I've seen hypodermic needles on the bike paths and 16th Street Mall. Last week, when I had friends in town, one of the vagrants verbally assaulted me as I was walking down the street minding my own business. So now we have a serious concern with public health and safety.

These vagrants have made a choice to live this lifestyle. Most of them DO NOT want jobs. They'd rather lay around in their own filth, getting high, and begging for hand outs. How much compassion do you expect that each of us gives? I can only be stretched so thin. Perhaps the reason they have decided to pilgrimage to Denver is BECAUSE the people are so happy to give them the handouts they desire. If you feed them, they will come.

Denver has problems. I agree that the COL is getting to be out of control here. The only people who don't seem to mind are those that bought real estate back in the day for a bargain when Denver was a podunk, gang/drug-infested cowtown, or those who came here with cushy $$$ jobs and dual-incomes. Regular, working class folks are being forced out, and I think something seriously needs to be done about that. I've posted my suggestions. I suppose the most effective thing we can do at this point is speak our collective minds to elected city officials.

Unless you have a better idea of containing this madness?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:00 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
If you don't consider housing, Denver is a very cheap place to live. I can get away with spending hardly anything once my mortgage is paid. And my mortgage isn't horrible given I bought before the market went kablooie. But like I've said before, my roommate is kind of trapped with me because she will never find housing a cheap as the room I rent her (really the upper half of my house). I could probably be making double if I wanted to, but I'd have to put up with a lot of crazy most likely.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
But like I've said before, my roommate is kind of trapped with me because she will never find housing a cheap as the room I rent her (really the upper half of my house). I could probably be making double if I wanted to, but I'd have to put up with a lot of crazy most likely.
I rent the better part of my basement out to my wife's aunt. She gets a very long living room/bedroom (goes the length of the house), a kitchenette, a private bathroom, and use of the laundry. She pays $500/mo, and has since late 2014. I could probably get double that from a couple of stoners.

I even have a bedroom that gets zero use right now. Maybe I could throw a couple of potheads in there too, OR I could throw out Auntie and get $1250 for the whole basement.

Then, I could partition out the top half of my house, $550 for each of the bedrooms, and $750 for the master.

I just made myself rich.

And homeless.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I rent the better part of my basement out to my wife's aunt. She gets a very long living room/bedroom (goes the length of the house), a kitchenette, a private bathroom, and use of the laundry. She pays $500/mo, and has since late 2014. I could probably get double that from a couple of stoners.

I even have a bedroom that gets zero use right now. Maybe I could throw a couple of potheads in there too, OR I could throw out Auntie and get $1250 for the whole basement.

Then, I could partition out the top half of my house, $550 for each of the bedrooms, and $750 for the master.

I just made myself rich.

And homeless.
You could have used your basement for a grow operation. That is where the real money is.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
You could have used your basement for a grow operation. That is where the real money is.
I don't want to do anything illegal.

Wait, what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver