Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:55 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times

Advertisements

I know the Denver BBB was looking for someone but the best thing to do is to begin contacting non-profits in Denver/CO and asking.

Check out these links, it will be a start:

Colorado Non-Profits and Charities

Local Resources for Nonprofits - The Denver Foundation (http://www.denverfoundation.org/page18341.cfm - broken link)

Nonprofit Organization Search Results

Colorado Nonprofit Association

http://www.rcfdenver.org/reports/NFFpresentation.pdf

Best wishes!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Specific to air quality in the Denver metro area - the air can be very bad due to the particulates AND the altitude. My daughter and her family live in Aurora and every time my son has visited he has ended up in the emergency room with an asthmatic episode. On the worst days, there is a great brown cloud that hangs over the city, visible from their house in Aurora. Specific to dry air in Denver vs. dry air in Phoenix (this same son lived in Tempe where his breathing was great, even during the spring dust storms), the air FEELS dryer in Denver no doubt due again to the altitude. You will sunburn faster in the summer sun in Denver than in Phoenix.
If you like snow and cold and winter sports, Denver is definitely the place to be, as they do get really nice snow and realllllly good cold, sometimes as early as October.
Another thing I've not seen mentioned is that depending on the type of gas you use and where you live now, you may pay more in Denver since the octanes are different in the higher altitudes. If you need 87 octane, you'll have to buy 'Plus'.
Housing is also kind of pricey, although CO in general has been hit pretty hard by the foreclosure mess so it might be a good time to buy.
Lastly, there is good old DIA.

I do have to say that the Denver Museum of Art has a wonderful collection and definitely worth a visit. And, there is an absolutely fabulous sushi place in Aurora, although I cannot remember the name, sorry.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
I hadn't thought about the humidifier. Thanks a bunch.

I am looking for entry level work in nonprofits as well. I would like to deal with family and homelessness issues; however, my degree's in political science, and some agencies seem to frown upon that. However, from my vantage point, I feel that a political science degree allows me to raise public policy issues in the workplace, in contrast to possessing a sociology, or other human services degree.

Also, I lack extensive experience in the field, though I helped spread the message about the United Way as part of a public service class at my alma mater. I enjoyed being on the frontlines conveying the information to potential clients. I am not really concerned about salary, so long as I can maintain the basics (food/shelter/car insurance/basic clothing).

What do you guys think the prospects are for a graduate without much experience, and minus an internship, in the Denver area? ( To be honest, the answer is probably, "Low prospects"...lol)

In the past, I did volunteer work. That is a good way to get yourself noticed for a job in human services. However, for employment there are many positions that are available at a great group called the Volunteer of America. This is a religious based group, similiar to Salvation Army. Here is the link to the website for employment VOA Employment (http://www.voacolorado.org/employment-2007.htm - broken link). You will see many positions that you would be qualified to do.

I like this group and they run the largest meals on wheels program in Denver. They have a big presence in Denver. The main website is Volunteers of America Colorado Branch, charity donations in Denver. It is a national organization with a very long history Volunteers of America > Home ( DNN 4.3.5 ). I would suggest you check them out.

Regis University also has a graduate degree in non-profit management Regis University.

By the way, I am an atheist. However, I see nothing wrong in supporting great social service groups like the Volunteers of America--even if they are religious based. I like this group because it avows a main mission of helping the less fortunate, the aged and the poor with keeping the religious beliefs at a low key. Many years ago, I did volunteer work at their main kitchen which was really in a very gritty part of Denver (near the baseball stadium)--now it is becoming an upscale yuppie area--who would have thought???

In adddition, I think the Salvation Army is a great religious group with extensive social service agencies--I can remember the help they gave me when I was in military service. I would also investigate this group for employment positions.

Livecontent

Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 PM

99 posts, read 327,489 times
Thanks for the information! I have been checking out one of the sites, and will continue looking at the others, as time becomes available.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,706 times
If you have sinus problems related to dryness, I would suggest careful thought before moving to Denver. Humidifiers can help, but may not completely alleviate the problem, and you can't have a humidifier with you all the time. If you have truly serious sinus problems, I would consult with a doctor first...

Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 PM

45 posts, read 170,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
American Lung Association:*Air Pollution Facts & Air Quality Info - Best & Worst Cities - ALA State of the Air 2007 (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html - broken link)

Cracks me up when people comment on how "bad" the air in Denver is. Check out this link. Denver is no where on the worst air lists. Depending on where you are coming from, it might be worse than you are used to. I'm from the 3rd most polluted city in the nation, so it is a relief for me here. Also, I've never felt that I had to shove towels under the door to keep out the particulate, not even in Fresno.

Lol! I am so happy you provided this info, because I currently live in Scottsdale, AZ and people claim we're brown all the time and it's on the list but nothing compared to California and other high poluted cities... thanks for being positive. I am moving to CO in June...

P.S> I had my heart set on Boulder, but it looks like I may get a good job opportunity in Aurora and they advised me to live closer to Denver... if I am outdoorsy, do you think Denver would still be good place for me in terms of outdoor activities, etc... I am single woman age 34 with a 14 year old daughter, any advise you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2CO View Post
Lol! I am so happy you provided this info, because I currently live in Scottsdale, AZ and people claim we're brown all the time and it's on the list but nothing compared to California and other high poluted cities... thanks for being positive. I am moving to CO in June...

P.S> I had my heart set on Boulder, but it looks like I may get a good job opportunity in Aurora and they advised me to live closer to Denver... if I am outdoorsy, do you think Denver would still be good place for me in terms of outdoor activities, etc... I am single woman age 34 with a 14 year old daughter, any advise you guys have is greatly appreciated.
You will have no problems finding activities to keep you busy outdoors. The city revolves around this.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 PM

16 posts, read 77,187 times
Default Why no trader joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I have to call you on #9. Trader Joe's operates in states with more rigid liquor laws than Colorado. In Pennsylvania, Trader Joe's has no liquor department in it's stores there due to laws.
Rumor has it from a TJ insider that they dont come to Colorado because there is nothing they want to pick up here. Trader joes runs its trucks full all the time - they drop something off and pick something else up each time. Since colorado has no goods that TJ is intersted in, they dont have stores here. Sucks, but I am pretty sure it is true.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 PM

16 posts, read 77,187 times
[quote=livecontent;2888716]In the past, I did volunteer work. That is a good way to get yourself noticed for a job in human services. However, for employment there are many positions that are available at a great group called the Volunteer of America. This is a religious based group, similiar to Salvation Army. Here is the link to the website for employment VOA Employment (http://www.voacolorado.org/employment-2007.htm - broken link). You will see many positions that you would be qualified to do.

Just a warning about VOA - a good friend worked there for three years and absolutely hated it. He complained that they just didnt give any work out, people horded it, and he wanted to help. Volunteering may be different than a paid job, and perhaps (certainly) his view is skewed. but, it is worth what it is, and just wanted to give out a warning.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 PM

46 posts, read 210,997 times
Default 11 reasons

1. Smells like cows sometimes(dead ones) if not cows then car exhaust
2. Extremely dry, like skin falling off dry.
3. Snow removal is a slow process here
4. Brown sky
5. Brown earth
6. Brown mountains
7. Slowed cognitive ability due 2 less Oxygen
8. No good pizza(and dont come back at me w/ blow joes cause it sux 2)
9. High male to female ratio(good for females)
10. 2 much intense sunlight is not a good thing
11. Traffic moves pretty slow and everyone drives an 8 wheel drive Canyonero. Gee I wonder why the sky is brown??

If you can put up with all this 2 enjoy all the skiing, climbing, hiking, kayaking & biking that co has 2 offer, its worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver