Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Someone on my street was telling me that the late winter was predictable due to this being an El Nino year and that it happens every time that is the case. They also said that El Nino years mean heavy snowfall on early winter as opposed to late. So there is hope?
This is supposed to be a La Nina year.

ETA: Oops! Forgot link. https://www.climate.gov/enso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 10:51 PM

25 posts, read 23,376 times
I just came back from living overseas in Europe, the Middle East and SEA and I'm originally from Chicago. I have seen some horrible and dangerous driving in my life but nothing compares to the death traps of 25 and 70 around Denver. I rather drive around angry maniacs with some skill and purpose than navigate my way around ignorance. This will be my first winter here and I'm dreading it.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I don't think it's a first time winter driver problem. A lot of people coming to Colorado are from the Midwest, where it most certainly snows. Even those moving from places like California probably grew up elsewhere, likely where it snows. (I grew up in the Great Lakes region, so I absolutely know how to drive in winter weather and am smart enough to stay off the roads completely when conditions are truly dangerous.)

I think what you're seeing is just the result of increased traffic on roads that were not designed to handle it. All that being said, I live in the south metro where I-25 is currently under construction. Every day, I'm grateful to have structured our family's life such that we rarely have to go anywhere near a highway. We try to tell people thinking of moving here to live where you work. Bad weather commuting is a big part of the reason why.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-03-2016 at 05:06 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 05:29 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I've driven in snow in Colorado for 39 years. The problem is traction on icy and snowy roads.

If you don't have to drive, stay home. Now that I'm retired, that's my solution. AWD does not make up for inferior traction.

Most people rely on the all weather tires that come standard on most cars. That's a mistake.

If you must drive, get a set of winter tires. Blizzaks or Michelin Ice are two good brands. The $600 cost of a set of winter tires easily pays for itself by avoiding just one accident. The difference in performance is awesome

Remember, although the brakes stop the wheel, the tires stop the car.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:16 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I agree. I came from Miami and drove like 30mph in the right lane and couldn't believe the people who flew past me and then further on down the road where A) in the medium B) spun out facing wrong way.

I've had AWD cars since I've moved here and now is the first time I've put Blizzaks on my car due to the distance I'm driving to my current job (up I70 to Evergreen). My two jobs previously were literally just blocks away and I just took it slow and smart.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangeliz View Post
I was born in Denver and I generally have never liked driving when winter hits but I'm even more anxious now as there a lot of people moving here who have never had to drive in the snow before.

They buy a Subaru Outback or some type of awd and drive like the the roads are not covered in snow.

Do you have any pet peeves about driving in the winter?
yes, seasoned drivers driving 4WD or AWD and driving like the roads are not covered in snow

Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
snow tires make a far bigger impact than AWD. I wont drive in the winter in a snowy area without them.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Just thought I'd mention that at least one well-regarded Denver area driving school offers a winter driving course for those who would like to brush up their skills or for those who have never had the pleasure of driving in snowy or icy conditions and would like to learn how. It's worth every penny.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:56 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
Coloradans don't have the monopoly on winter driving skills. What makes you think that people are static and don't learn. Stop playing into people's fear. Every state that I lived in stated that they have the best/worst drivers. Colorado is no exception. Maybe we need a driver's ed for people. TV stations warn people to slow down during snow storms. You're not in control.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 AM

70 posts, read 61,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Coloradans don't have the monopoly on winter driving skills. What makes you think that people are static and don't learn. Stop playing into people's fear. Every state that I lived in stated that they have the best/worst drivers. Colorado is no exception. Maybe we need a driver's ed for people. TV stations warn people to slow down during snow storms. You're not in control.

Haa wow, I always get some snarky/ defensive comment on this forum. It never fails.

I know some people adjust their driving skills eventually and I never did say Colorado has the best snow drivers. If that was the case I wouldn't be making this post. This is a vent post. I'm venting about the upcoming snow and the crazy new people on the road with awd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver