Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:47 AM

572 posts, read 552,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you must drive, get a set of winter tires.

I would say to spring for a pair of seasonal wheels too.
either basic steel wheels, or some used rims 'cause they're cheaper...

It makes the seasonal exchange a breeze, and free at most shops.
if the shop is mounting and remounting tires to the wheels -
you pay every season...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 11:08 AM

352 posts, read 713,611 times
We had a thread here last year like this. And my biggest recommendation on that one was GET FOUR STUDDED SNOW TIRES. I haven't driven in a winter here in Colorado for the past 30 years without studded snow tires on my cars/trucks, it's like a cheap traction insurance policy.

OK OK, everyone tell me you don't need them, that's OK, I'm gonna put mine on as soon as it starts snowing, you all drive on whatever you want.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:45 AM

556 posts, read 763,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
We had a thread here last year like this. And my biggest recommendation on that one was GET FOUR STUDDED SNOW TIRES. I haven't driven in a winter here in Colorado for the past 30 years without studded snow tires on my cars/trucks, it's like a cheap traction insurance policy.

OK OK, everyone tell me you don't need them, that's OK, I'm gonna put mine on as soon as it starts snowing, you all drive on whatever you want.
I go the other way. I buy strictly used summer tires with less than 10% tread left. If I can see through the rubber to the webbing underneath, even better. Anything else is living life soft. #YOLO

Old 11-03-2016, 02:04 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
I go the other way. I buy strictly used summer tires with less than 10% tread left. If I can see through the rubber to the webbing underneath, even better. Anything else is living life soft. #YOLO
RIP guyatwork37

Old 11-03-2016, 02:07 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post

I won't say you don't need them but I have never bought any. So far I have gotten away with a good set of Michelin snow and mud tires.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
It's been about 45 years, but I once drove my high powered '62 Ford on baloney skins, with some of the cord showing through. When it shifted to 2nd at full power it barked the tires and ripped all the way through what was left of the cord and in a moment I had a flat. YOLO -- and I got away with a lot back then....they say God looks out for damned fools and Irishmen.

Never had a problem driving in the snow in COLO SPGS, but recently moved to Phoenix area and left the snow shovel behind for the new homeowner.

Venting about drivers in Denver is the subject of several threads in the forum.

Warning to drivers new to Denver and snowy weather: Four wheel drive does not mean four wheel stop.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:33 AM

132 posts, read 132,506 times
Went to Costco and bought 4 Blizzak's for my FWD Mazda 3, my first winter in Co. I'll be in the right lane cruising....

Old 11-08-2016, 01:44 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
The only thing I will point out to OP is that newcomers have been here before every winter. This isn't the first winter we've had them. As one at one time myself, I will note that my first was the 2007-2008 winter.

I would lighten up OP native-Coloradan. It will be ok. Stupid sees no state lines.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:59 PM

760 posts, read 883,915 times
I'll never forgot earlier this year when I was driving down Pena, going about 40mph in the snow, only to be passed by a Prius (after flashing his lights at me while I was in the right lane) with CA plates going about 85mph+, 30 seconds later they fish tail and spin out all the way to the other side in on coming traffic.

As much as I could be like "oh these awful CA drivers", i'm sure they learned their lesson at least.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I'll never forgot earlier this year when I was driving down Pena, going about 40mph in the snow, only to be passed by a Prius (after flashing his lights at me while I was in the right lane) with CA plates going about 85mph+, 30 seconds later they fish tail and spin out all the way to the other side in on coming traffic.

As much as I could be like "oh these awful CA drivers", i'm sure they learned their lesson at least.
Could have been a rental car. I remember the other drivers seemed to react to me differently when I was in a 4x4 rental with CA plates (they clear the way for you to be stupid ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver