Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM

70 posts, read 61,466 times

Advertisements

I was born in Denver and I generally have never liked driving when winter hits but I'm even more anxious now as there a lot of people moving here who have never had to drive in the snow before.

They buy a Subaru Outback or some type of awd and drive like the the roads are not covered in snow.

Do you have any pet peeves about driving in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangeliz View Post
I was born in Denver and I generally have never liked driving when winter hits but I'm even more anxious now as there a lot of people moving here who have never had to drive in the snow before.

They buy a Subaru Outback or some type of awd and drive like the the roads are not covered in snow.

Do you have any pet peeves about driving in the winter?
Hmmmm. In my experience newcomers from warmer climates don't buy Subarus, they buy the biggest, flashiest SUV they can afford. Then yes, figure they can drive like on dry pavement.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:35 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,377 times
On the front range, AWD is pretty unnecessary. People think AWD means they can do whatever they want in their car, forgetting that AWD only helps starting and does nothing for slowing, turning, or stopping. Still gotta drive slow and careful.

Personally, I have a FWD SUV with a 6 speed manual. Engine breaking helps a ton in snow to slow down. People forget this.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:44 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
On the front range, AWD is pretty unnecessary. People think AWD means they can do whatever they want in their car, forgetting that AWD only helps starting and does nothing for slowing, turning, or stopping. Still gotta drive slow and careful.

Personally, I have a FWD SUV with a 6 speed manual. Engine breaking helps a ton in snow to slow down. People forget this.
To add to this, get a good pair of snow tires. On FWD vehicles, this will do a great deal for you in terms of mobility in the snow. And yes, just because you have AWD doesn't mean you can fly around in the snow as some people suspect.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:54 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,996,994 times
I think the people who get into accidents aren't the noobs who just moved here, they are the people that have been here for years and drive around on un-maintained vehicles at a high rate of speed. You can usually tell the noobs because they will be in the right lane driving 20 miles an hour all white knuckled when it is nothing but a flurry. The 'locals' (not all of course) are the ones hauling ass around them and end up in a ditch.

Last edited by headingtoDenver; 11-02-2016 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
People stopping suddenly for a yellow light. Even though I'm a good winter weather driver and leave plenty of space in front of me...when the person in front of me slam the brakes for a yellow light instead of just rolling through, it creates a potential accident.

A good set of tires is so important.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:51 PM

556 posts, read 763,488 times
I get what you're saying man, but what prompted this? It's been 70s for weeks with no snow in sight.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:54 PM

70 posts, read 61,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
I get what you're saying man, but what prompted this? It's been 70s for weeks with no snow in sight.

Haa lol, the fact thats its so nice outside right now is making me worried about all the snow we will get late into the winter. Last winter we got it seems like the worst of it in late winter almost spring.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:59 PM

556 posts, read 763,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangeliz View Post
Haa lol, the fact thats its so nice outside right now is making me worried about all the snow we will get late into the winter. Last winter we got it seems like the worst of it in late winter almost spring.
Someone on my street was telling me that the late winter was predictable due to this being an El Nino year and that it happens every time that is the case. They also said that El Nino years mean heavy snowfall on early winter as opposed to late. So there is hope?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:41 PM

352 posts, read 713,611 times
I remember one winter years ago where the daily highs never were below 50 all winter. I finally put my summer tires back on in February and didn't regret it. Dry autumn into a dry winter into a dry summer. Maybe you all remember that? The farmers were saying they'd plow down 4 feet and it was just dust. I think the Haymon Fire was the following summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver