Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:14 PM

90 posts, read 635,683 times

Advertisements

We are really interested in moving to Arvada and would love to hear some insight from anyone who lives there or nearby.

How is the traffic?
Any areas of town to steer clear of?
Favorite places to eat? Shop?
Town stuff to do?

We are getting excited about the prospect of moving here, but from a distance, there is only so much you can look up on the web and there's not that person on the ground sense of what's great and not so great about the area.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
I think Arvada is a terrific place to live. They are sprucing up their downtown area and are excited about the light coming to the west part of town.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 29,903 times
Arvada is a WONDERFUL city! Nestled between Denver and the Rocky Mountains, it is surrounded by various other cities, but is only about ten miles from the Rocky Mountains and ten miles from Downtown Denver. It is not the same place I grew up though. There are SO MANY people here now and noone knows how to drive. It is sad that people don't understand the concept of common courtesy, a yellow light, a red light or a turn signal. People are much colder here now than they were when I was growing up here. This used to be like a small town, but, that is progress, I suppose. Smile at your neighbours! And, welcome home. :-)

Old 09-24-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 29,720 times
I lived in Arvada in the past 95 - 97 (across the street from Arvada HS) I own a small town-home there and am working toward returning to the area.
The last time I was in the area was a little over a year ago, it's still a very nice town.
In my opinion, it's not perfect... but then neither is Ft Lauderdale and it's drastically cheaper to live in Arvada!!

Hope This Helps

Old 09-24-2007, 06:50 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,288 times
any of you head of coloradoguy.com?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
I have lived in Arvada for 25 years. It has many quiet areas with minimal traffic. It varies from older homes, near old town in the east to newer homes in Westwood to the west. Arvada is defined by Ralston Creek which runs through the area.

The older area in the east has a huge meandering treed park that goes along the creek. Old town Arvada is being developed with dense housing with lofts and row homes. This will be built around the new commuter station which will be built along the Gold Line.

As you go west into Arvada, the homes get newer with many parks. Going further will take you into Ralston Valley with the creeks and parks running from the foothills. West of Indiana is defined as the Westwood area, because of the golf course, has many newer homes.

There are very nice homes, shopping along 80th and Wadsworth and near Lake Arbor. I once lived in that area and it has great amenities, golf courses, parks, good shopping. This area would border Westminster.

Arvada does not have the excitement or uniqueness of Boulder or the newness of the South towns. Retail development has not been hugely established. Because of this less traffic. It has more trees, water,creeks and bike paths that go through the area and connect parks and recreation centers. Great place to raise a family, being elderly and secure and safe newer homes for singles in a community that has its' own space, close to the mountains with good views.

If you are looking for the excitement of bar scenes, this is not the place. However, Arvada has one of the largest Performing Arts Center in the Area. It is a nice place to come home to and have easy access to the mountains, Boulder, Golden, and very close to Downtown Denver.

I am trying to think of areas that I would avoid---there are not any real slums or defined bad areas. There are small areas that would be less liked, but more for the changing gentrification homes that need some repair. The area in the Northwest Part of Arvada is more of this nature but is changing so rapidly with newer infill developments. Arvada has many affluent and higher income areas next and mixed with other lower cost areas that boundaries are not always that clear---but very high crime areas--it does not come to me.

I grew up in New York and my elderly parents live here in west Arvada. It feels to them like a small town where they can easily shop and get a fast bus to gambling in Black Hawk and Central City. It is one of the few areas in the Denver Metro that developed as a small farming community and it can feel like a little community.

I also had a house in West Arvada when it was less developed. There are still many horse stables, some cattle and farms. My parents home sits on a greenbelt to the mountains, on Ralston creek, and there are horses in the back, some deer roam down the mountains, seen hawks owls, once a bear, a couple a times mountain lions(but many years ago-but where deer go, they follow)--I even seen some people pannig for gold in the creek--as it was the first place gold was discovered in Colorado. If they ever found any, I am sure they would not tell.

The table top mountain around Golden can be seen clearly from West Arvada and it is a short trip, through county country roads to the center of town and Coors brewing and the uniqueness of Main Street.

I like it because it is easy to get to downtown with good bus transportation and the prospect of the Commuter Line Being Built. It is just south of Boulder and it is a great drive along the front range and you can easily go up Eldorado Canyon , where mountain climbers practice their skills.

The parks and bicycle paths are great. It is very close to the newer growth areas in Northwest Denver, as in Highland and Berkley, I live just on the east side of Arvada, near Denver and I can drive to downtown in 15 minutes but I generally take a bus.

I like to go to Old town and walk around the antique stores, eat some lunch, go along the creek, go to the new downtown library, watch the fountains in the square. In the West there are large ballfields and soccer fields and it is a pleasure to catch a local game. After, there are many long established, local owned restaurants to go and argue about who was the best players.

I live near the performing arts center, I take some classes, attend musical performances. There are many classes for children and adults.

Oh, I am retired and I just spend my day, relishing and not measuring time.

Yea, I am meandering in my thought about Arvada--I hope this helps.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Default Correction to my post about Arvada

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
...I am trying to think of areas that I would avoid---there are not any real slums or defined bad areas. There are small areas that would be less liked, but more for the changing gentrification homes that need some repair. The area in the Northwest Part of Arvada is more of this nature but is changing so rapidly with newer infill developments. Arvada has many affluent and higher income areas next and mixed with other lower cost areas that boundaries are not always that clear---but very high crime areas--it does not come to me...
Correction: I made a mistake, I meant to say Southeast Part of Arvada is more of this nature which is the oldest part of Arvada, has homes that need some repair and attention.

Sorry, sometimes I get confused

Livecontent

Old 09-25-2007, 05:03 PM

21 posts, read 164,221 times
Wow, livecontent, what a great posting. Not rambly-just comprehensive!

How long does it take to get to Boulder from different parts of Arvada? My husband is a service tech whose work is mainly in Boulder and Longmont. We're looking to move somewhere a lot closer to his work than Greeley, where we are now. Boulder itself is out of the question because of price, of course, and I'd rather live closer to Denver than Longmont. So I'm thinking Arvada, Westminster, Broomfield, Wheat Ridge??

Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTNS_TX View Post
We are really interested in moving to Arvada and would love to hear some insight from anyone who lives there or nearby.

How is the traffic?
Any areas of town to steer clear of?
Favorite places to eat? Shop?
Town stuff to do?

We are getting excited about the prospect of moving here, but from a distance, there is only so much you can look up on the web and there's not that person on the ground sense of what's great and not so great about the area.

Thanks in advance!
I remember that you were the one who extensively researched Highlands Ranch, and at one point decided to settle there. Are you moving from Highlands Ranch, or are you in the process of relocating now and have changed your mind?

I'm just curious because my husband (who visited several neighborhoods) was not at all impressed with Highlands Ranch. It looked like a sea of beige homes all jammed together, with little to no character.

From what I understand of Arvada, it has an interesting history and is a well-established neighborhood. My aunt and uncle (in Aurora) frequent the Performing Arts Center, which I hear is very nice.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Tigress_In_Denver_4 View Post
Arvada is a WONDERFUL city! Nestled between Denver and the Rocky Mountains, it is surrounded by various other cities, but is only about ten miles from the Rocky Mountains and ten miles from Downtown Denver. It is not the same place I grew up though. There are SO MANY people here now and noone knows how to drive. It is sad that people don't understand the concept of common courtesy, a yellow light, a red light or a turn signal. People are much colder here now than they were when I was growing up here. This used to be like a small town, but, that is progress, I suppose. Smile at your neighbours! And, welcome home. :-)
Sounds like Austin drivers. I would of never seen this coming from Colorado. That was one thing I missed from Colorado, the safe drivers. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver