Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 10:19 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Eastern Time Zone allows them to work hours that are closer to the bulk of the U.S. population, but in this day and age I'd expect Amazon to have people on duty at whatever hours work for the company and its customers.

I do know that most of the major van lines used to be located in Indiana which allowed them pretty equal time-access to both coasts as well as transcontinental highway routes. Not sure if that's why Sears chose Chicago so many years ago, but I do know that Chicago was a huge rail hub (still is) and Sears was able to ship stuff from a central location in order to standardize travel times to just about everywhere east of the Rockies.

Postal rates used to be cheaper from Chicago to most of the nation. When I worked for Domino Sugar in Baltimore we'd load 12,000 to 13,000 Christmas gift boxes into semi trucks and have them taken to the main Chicago post office for entry into the postal system as it was cheaper overall.

I hope whatever city lands this thing that they don't give away the store to attract it. Denver once put the kibosh on holding a Winter Olympics as they knew it was a gouge to the taxpayers. I feel the same way about bribing corporations to choose my city and about taxpayer supported stadiums as well.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 01:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
There was a time when Nike was rumored to be moving HQ to Denver.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:34 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Plus, Bezos recently purchased a $23M dollar home in DC, which really makes you wonder.
Easily explained by the fact that Bezos owns the Washington Post.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:06 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Easily explained by the fact that Bezos owns the Washington Post.
yes, and what better way to influence the national converstaion and politics than not only owning the paper of record in town and one of the largest private sector employers.

Denver will be a finalist but make no mistake, DC/NOVA will be a very hard competitor.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:36 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Wow friend that would know says Denver believes it's in the final thrwe

Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I hope whatever city lands this thing that they don't give away the store to attract it. Denver once put the kibosh on holding a Winter Olympics as they knew it was a gouge to the taxpayers. I feel the same way about bribing corporations to choose my city and about taxpayer supported stadiums as well.
^^ Exactly.

I feel HQ2 could do the same thing to Denver depending on how it would be hashed out.

My biggest concern is that it will drive a bigger wedge between the have and have nots in Denver because Denver is already plush with jobs but short in infrastructure and housing. Either you are in a high rolling Amazon (or competitor job with wages being priced up) or you get priced AND commuted out. Whether Denver could build infrastructure to support the additional people is dependent on the incentive package size. If it can't, Denverite's get screwed.

Currently, it looks like Denver would offer 50% off of payroll tax and $10 million in match to local incentives. Not too generous thankfully.

Locations could be by the airport which is practical but pretty unsexy, RINO which sits in the most polluted zip code in the country, and down south near Lone Tree, which sounds the best to me.

Denver Post Amazon HQ2

Old 09-12-2017, 06:58 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Dang it I was hoping they would pick the Springs

They don't need to. With Amazon in Denver, it will accelerate the need for high sped rail along the Front range and Cos will become a commuter city.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:15 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Wow friend that would know says Denver believes it's in the final thrwe
Haha, so much gossip! I overheard someone in the elevator in my office building mentioning that they had insider info, and that Amazon had chosen Atlanta!

Amazon recruits heavily here in Denver and they also have some employees parked in the WeWork building near Union Station. My personal opinion is that they will choose a city on the East Coast, but I have no insider knowledge.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
Dear God in heaven don't move here Amazon. This wonderful place is already suffering from Californication. If you love gridlock traffic and massive construction and overpriced real estate you'll love Amazon. 50,000 !!! employees? Are you kidding me? Why don't you just move to L.A.? If they pick Denver, I'm moving to Evergreen.

I think they should move to Detroit. They need it. We don't.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
They don't need to. With Amazon in Denver, it will accelerate the need for high sped rail along the Front range and Cos will become a commuter city.
I suppose thats not to terrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver