Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 AM

43 posts, read 54,456 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have previously posted how my wife and I are looking to purchase a home and we had focused only on city neighborhoods - Wash Park, Park Hill, Congress Park, and then we broadened to Hilltop, Cherry Hills Vista, University Hills, etc. We are now looking in the whole Denver area for place that suits us but we have been very discouraged by what we have seen - even though inventory has picked up a bit.

We had set a budget of a max of 800k - we would be willing to go that high if the property was move in ready and if had everything we wanted (we want a double lot, at least 3/3, safe area, good public schools, walk in closets and master bathroom). If it needed significant upgrades or if we had to compromise many things, we wanted to stay way cheaper - 600k top.
Well it seems like the properties in the city neighborhoods that are between 700-800 are not always move-in ready and we would be compromising too many of our wants, such as size of yard, usually no walk in closets and no master bathroom, etc etc.
So now we have started to consider other areas (the burbs). We looked in Stapleton but my wife wasn't trilled about the small lot sizes and the cookie cutter houses.
This is our family situation and our priorities:
- We are a same sex family, therefore we want to be in a place where we will be safe
- we are planning to have children in the next 1-2 years
- Progressive /liberal community
- Good public schools
- Good parks and outdoor activities
- We enjoy dining out (no chain restaurants) and like breweries and would like to be able to get to Denver within a reasonable time (20 min?) to watch a baseball game or take an uber to a brewery
- My work is in Lakewood and my wife works part time downtown

Centennial and Littleton are areas we have been focusing on in our online search. Homes there are larger with larger yards and the price feels so much better.

Do you guys think any of these two suburbs would fit us? Is one better than the other? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,301 times
Centennial to Lakewood would be a pretty miserable commute. I would look at Arvada or Wheatridge. I think those towns would fit most of your criteria. The berkeley and sunnyside neighborhoods in Denver might be within your budget and would be a good fit although I haven't looked at listings in a while.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:45 AM

830 posts, read 744,623 times
Most of the suburbs are not going to be, "liberal," although you'll find people with a variety of interests and political ideas.

Golden might be a good fit! Although it's further to downtown, but you can hop straight on 6th Avenue. You should look at a street tour and some homes.

If you're looking at Littleton, what about Lakewood since that is where work is? I would even chance that parts of Lakewood may even have more of the vibe you're looking for, especially some of the older semi custom homes near Belmar or closer to Colfax.

Wheat Ridge....Old Arvada...was the Highlands out?

I can't see why Centennial is on the list....what was the draw there? There's nothing wrong with it, it would be a good option, but I don't think you'd find much more of what you're looking for there than Lakewood/Littleton.

Or, since kids aren't in the mix yet and the market is supposed to level, why not rent a small apartment for 6 months so that you can explore and really find the right place?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:46 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
I would definitely be looking in the Golden area.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Most of the suburbs are not going to be, "liberal," although you'll find people with a variety of interests and political ideas.

Golden might be a good fit! Although it's further to downtown, but you can hop straight on 6th Avenue. You should look at a street tour and some homes.

If you're looking at Littleton, what about Lakewood since that is where work is? I would even chance that parts of Lakewood may even have more of the vibe you're looking for, especially some of the older semi custom homes near Belmar or closer to Colfax.

I can't see why Centennial is on the list....what was the draw there? There's nothing wrong with it, it would be a good option, but I don't think you'd find much more of what you're looking for there than Lakewood/Littleton.

Or, since kids aren't in the mix yet and the market is supposed to level, why not rent a small apartment for 6 months so that you can explore and really find the right place?
^^This.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 AM

556 posts, read 763,346 times
While Douglas County is the most conservative part of Denver from what I understand, I haven't run in to too many ultra conservative folks other than on the facebook groups. The neighbors are a same sex couple with an adopted child and everyone loves them because they are cool people with a super awesome kid. I wouldn't fear for your safety anywhere in the Denver metro as it pertains to that.

If you're working in Lakewood, Littleton would make more sense. Ken Caryl is a really nice are as are Bow Mar, Grant Ranch, and Governor's Ranch that should fit your price range just fine.

But as others have said, I would also check out Golden. It's a great place and will suite your budget.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post

Centennial was on the list because of cherry creek school district and the homes there that we have seen online are affordable and “move in ready”.
I do t know much about Lakewood but my online searches have not been successful in finding what we want in addition to good public schools.. isn’t there an area in Lakewood that is better than others?
My wife is discarding golden for now because it’s further away from downtown..
we currently live in LoHi and we love it. We searched for homes in highlands and also Berkeley but encountered similar problems - expensive homes that need work done, no good public schools..

Old 01-08-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
While Douglas County is the most conservative part of Denver from what I understand, I haven't run in to too many ultra conservative folks other than on the facebook groups. The neighbors are a same sex couple with an adopted child and everyone loves them because they are cool people with a super awesome kid. I wouldn't fear for your safety anywhere in the Denver metro as it pertains to that.

If you're working in Lakewood, Littleton would make more sense. Ken Caryl is a really nice are as are Bow Mar, Grant Ranch, and Governor's Ranch that should fit your price range just fine.

But as others have said, I would also check out Golden. It's a great place and will suite your budget.
WIll be checking those areas also

Old 01-08-2018, 10:51 AM

401 posts, read 487,520 times
Hi There!

If you want to be accessible to some type of downtown area without paying silly prices I would go with some of the suggestions above. Centennial might leave you feeling a little lost.

The old downtown area of Arvada would be close to your job at Lakewood and there are 3-4 good breweries within that area. I am a brewery geek so I get wanting to be close to that. If you go and drive around the area stop in at Denver Beer Co and New Image.

Edgewater is another community moving right along, you may not get as much for your money there but once again lots of good stuff within walking distance for the most part including a good brewery, Joyride Brewing. Coda Coffee is also right across from Joyride brewing and a good coffee shop. Once kids come along there are events and family centered thing around Sloans Lake during the year.

Golden is very family-centered. They have good parades and plenty to do for the family. It is also a college town too though so you get a good mix of people. Once again Golden has good breweries throughout, they are not really clustered though. Golden City Brewery and Barrels and Bottles are worth checking out. Most of the breweries are kid-friendly too, especially during the day.

The Green Mountain area of Lakewood offers good outdoor opportunities, decent schools, not sure about the brewery culture out there or how conservative that little pocket is but it might be worth checking out.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:51 PM

thank you all for your responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver