Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:49 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,704,874 times

Advertisements

Have you checked out hotpads.com. There are many places in your budget near light rail in south metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:32 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I just keep reading the “Charlotte is as, if not more, expensive than Denver in desirable areas” and can’t help but think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Eastover is cheaper than Country Club. Dilworth is cheaper than Wash Park.
I am certain there are neighborhoods in Denver that are more expensive than Charlotte.. And, of course, I am sure Denver has a few prestigious neighborhoods like in Seattle where even 1200 sq ft condos are going for over million dollars. Yes, when I lived in Ballard in Seattle they built 1200 sq ft condos that were sold instantly and were sold for $850,000 a piece and that wasn't even the best neighborhood of Seattle. However, what people don't get is that Charlotte has a deficit of housing and that almost all the apartments, houses, condos, etc are being listed like 20% above their Zillow estimate prices.. In a year or two, I can tell you that Denver will not be more expensive than Charlotte and even now, I am seeing apartments in Charlotte that sq ft to sq ft, quality of construction and in a desirable neighborhood that are pretty much the same as Denver.

Coming from Seattle, I am hardly ignorant about the high price of values in trendy cities. My point being that any place I would actually want to live in Charlotte, that is near Uptown, Noda, Ballantyne, South Park, Dilworth will be more expensive than I would hope to pay. You pretty much cannot get a nice apartment in these areas anymore for less than $1600/mo and that would be for a very tiny apartment. A lot of the cheaper places you see are actually bordering the nice areas in scummy neighborhoods. That is another funny thing about Charlotte is that a prestigious neighborhood could be bordering a more slummy neighborhood and you wouldn't even realize it until you drive around. Another thing to keep in mind is that the cost of utilities are much higher in Charlotte and even higher, yet, in Seattle. Puget Sound Energy and Seattle City Light are horrifying.

However, I am not naive to think I could afford my own condo or townhouse even in Denver area. I have succumbed to accepting I will be living in a small apartment for a while. I am hoping $1500 or $1600 a month can get me a 800 sq ft place at least in the outer suburbs (preferably to the West, like Arvada, Westminster, Lakewood, Littleon, etc). I'm even open to living in places like Longmont and have considered Loveland, although I know its quite a far commute from Denver. At least gas is cheaper in Colorado. In Washington, the gas prices are $3.40 a gallon right now, so living far away in the horrific traffic is practically not even an option. This bloats the property values in Puget Sound even more.

As of now, though I believe Charlotte is the fastest growing city in USA. I didn't even bother with private landlords. Many wanted 2, 3 or 4 year leases. Also, North Carolina doesn't have great renter protections. I witnessed many landlords pooling large number of applicants and illegally pocketing their application fees. I was kind of stuck dealing with corporate landlords. Any property in a nice neighborhood that was desirable would have had over 10 applicants and was rented yesterday.

At least in Denver I know what I am getting, as that market has been hot for a long time.

Although I think it would be nice to take a current look at a Zillow listing comparison of 1000 sq ft apartment in Washington Park in Denver to Dilworth in CHarlotte:

Washington Park in Denver, 2 bed , 2bath ,943 sq ft, granite countertops, $1850/mo
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...81_rect/14_zm/

Dilworth in Charlotte, 2 bed, 2 bath, 1013 sq ft, granite countertops, $1875/mo
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...51_rect/14_zm/

Seriously, are apartments in Washington Park really any more expensive sq ft to sq ft and quality of construction/appliances than this?

Cannot speak for all the apartments, but these look like pretty equal in quality and size and about the same price. The apartment in Denver does not have its own laundry, however, the heat and cooling are paid which lowers the price a lot.. The apartment in Charlotte you have to pay utilities, but has a washer /dryer. Somewhat evens out the difference.

Then, there are a lot more of these luxury apartments popping up
Dilworth, 1 bed, 1 bath 616 sq ft, $2400/mo
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...51_rect/14_zm/

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Have you checked out hotpads.com. There are many places in your budget near light rail in south metro area.
I haven't , but I will and appreciate the link.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 08-20-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-21-2018, 12:23 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
https://www.westword.com/news/metro-...-2018-10683419

Old 08-26-2018, 04:26 PM

I just signed the rental papers for a place in Littleton area right near mountains, trails.. It is nothing special, but not as bad as I thought.. Rented a 1000 sq ft townhouse w/ some extra storage space that is in nice shape, good quality appliances, etc.. I definitely will need a storage place. It's a condo and I even got to meet the neighbors and everyone seemed friendly and the owner knows many of neighbors who are on the HOA board. I'm sure there is no guarantee that I won't end up with other bad neighbors, but I don't think there is any guarantee anywhere.

Anyhow, I am excited.. I am flying back to North Carolina and going to pack up my house and move to Colorado.. I think I ended up in the best area I could have hoped for, near the city, yet right at the base of mountains. The Western side of Denver metro is actually quite scenic..

I do appreciate people's help and suggestions here.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:53 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,704,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I just signed the rental papers for a place in Littleton area right near mountains, trails.. It is nothing special, but not as bad as I thought.. Rented a 1000 sq ft townhouse w/ some extra storage space that is in nice shape, good quality appliances, etc.. I definitely will need a storage place. It's a condo and I even got to meet the neighbors and everyone seemed friendly and the owner knows many of neighbors who are on the HOA board. I'm sure there is no guarantee that I won't end up with other bad neighbors, but I don't think there is any guarantee anywhere.

Anyhow, I am excited.. I am flying back to North Carolina and going to pack up my house and move to Colorado.. I think I ended up in the best area I could have hoped for, near the city, yet right at the base of mountains. The Western side of Denver metro is actually quite scenic..

I do appreciate people's help and suggestions here.
Welcome to Colorado. Littleton is a nice area. Lots of good restaurants/bars/brewpubs and close to light rail.
My favorite brewpub is just south of there: Living the Dream. Absolute hole in the wall and that’s what makes it. Great beers, good food trucks. Mountain view in back.
http://livingthedreambrewing.com/info

Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Welcome to Colorado. Littleton is a nice area. Lots of good restaurants/bars/brewpubs and close to light rail.
My favorite brewpub is just south of there: Living the Dream. Absolute hole in the wall and that’s what makes it. Great beers, good food trucks. Mountain view in back.
Home
Thanks for the welcome COCheeseHead! I really excited and have always yearned to live in Colorado and explore all over the state. In fact, I made some attempts in the past to relocate to Colorado from Oregon, but picking up from where you grew up and moving away is never easy. I finally did it with going to North Carolina, but after having miserable experience with neighbor and a change of heart with an area, I decide to jump on Colorado. After seeing CHarlotte was not much difference in price similar desirable neighborhoods, I decided that this could be my last opportunity to live in Colorado.

Anyhow, I am always looking for affordable, friendly and non-pretentious watering holes. I am the kind of guy who enjoys fine dining in a local bar and grill and also frequent those hole in the wall places where you dine next to a garbage can with a tray rack rather than a 4 star restaurant with hand knit napkins and $15 appetizers.

I have a lot of exploring to do and wish I would have more time. I'm headed back to North Carolina in a couple days and had a pretty miserable experience at my Airbnb. I basically have only slept 10 hours this week. When I do the move I will try to explore as much as possible.

At least from a scenery perspective I think Littleton is about as nice of a backdrop as I could hope for and I am pretty close access to the mountains and downtown Denver.

I got a pretty nice townhouse for $1600/mo. But, the utilities are a fraction of what I would pay in North Carolina and much, much less than Seattle Also, I find it nice how so many places here pay your water, sewer and garbage. In Puget Sound I would pay sometimes as high as $200/mo just for that.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:39 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Congrats and good luck with the move!

Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Home
I was just at Living the Dream. We hit up on occasion because it just down the road from us in Highlands Ranch. Great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver